Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Super Glue and the Guitar

Post by GrantB »

I just thought I'd give some insight into what I have found helpful recently fixing my pub gig battered guitars - Super Glue.

I had a vintage Strat trem system where the bass e string would undo itself somehow every few minutes, dropping the saddle on one side. Simply fixed by adding a little super glue and doing up to the right hieght - beautiful.

I had a piece of finish that had lifted on an older strat - bit of super glue under the offending piece and bingo...

New nut - drop a single SMALL drop in the middle of the nut to hold it there - works for me but Ash, you may recommend otherwise.

I think super glue is the best gigging mans wonder tool, right behind duct tape of course.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

You'd be surprised how much super glue and araldite are used in luthiery, ususally to hide mistakes.

One trick I found with super glue, is to get some of the instant hardening compund - apply the cyano acrylate, then a couple of drops of hardener and it's rock solid in seconds.

Dunno if I would use superglue for a nut though, it generally sets harder than the wood and you may have to change that nut in the future.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Super glue (to use the name in the generic sense) is the saviour of many a silly mistake. It also makes impossible repairs possible and expensive repairs viable.

Ordinary supermarket superglue is a waste of space, but well selected aeromodelling CA (Cyano Acrylate) along with accerlerator and debonder is superb for everything from lacquer repairs to quick tack bonding. Its bloody expensive stuff thouth.

Its ok the tack the nut in as long as its just a tiny dab, and preferably the thick gelatinous stuff. Loctite is better for loose screws because it can be undone more easily.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Interesting Ash- I'd used PVA on the nut (again just a drop) because it comes away cleanly usually woithout taking any wood - just use a pin punch on either side with a light, smart tap to break the grip then tap out sideways.
You can't do THAT on stage!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I usually use PVA too. But sometimes a customer wants it done yesterday or the nature of the nut seat makes PVA impractical. Thats where a tiny amount of Gel CA comes in.

Some manufacturers like Taylor use no adhesive at all, just friction in the slot, while Gibson are sometimes seen to lather the nut in lacquer making clean removal about as difficult as it gets.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

I used these super super power glue once on a nut. I need a chisel to get it off now. Well i could just send it down to you Ash, hehe.