Tuning Issues

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Tuning Issues

Post by crushing day »

Just thought i'd post this here, as i deal with this scenario a lot.

'my current tuners don't hold tune very well'.

'my guitars tuners are crap, what should i change them to'.

Ok, so some super cheap tuners slip and don't hold tune very well, but the majority do, even economy models. But when i get emails about replacing Gotoh's and Schaller's..

it leads me to the question,

Q: Do the majority of guitar players actually know how to tune their guitar properly?, or are they blaming their tuning (in)ability and string winding technique on the tuning machines?.

I learnt a few simple techniques on tuning when i was starting out, and i rarely have major tuning issues, even with cheaper model tuners.

- Stretch your new strings out properly
- Always tune up to a note

These 2 steps alone can see me put a fresh set of strings on before a gig, and then only make minor adjustments throughout the night.

Of course there may be other issues like strings binding on the nut, and knackered worn tuners, but i'm interested in anyone elses thoughts on the tuning issue. Do you have constant problems with tuning stability?
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Tuning Issues

Post by druz15 »

I have problems with the G on my LP Junior and Gretsch, I think it's something to do with the angled headstock
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Cutting to the chase - it's almost NEVER the tuners.

Machineheads use a worm gear mechanism which is a one-way system. They don't slip, they can't slip.

What they can do is 'backlash' and the solution to that is to always tune "up". Most of us already know this and every "how to tune" manual probably says it.

Other things:

~ Terrible string winding technique
~ Crappy old strings
~ Fresh strings not stretched properly
~ Binding in the nut slots or saddles
~ Extra steep headstock angle (like Les Pauls which are reknoned for being crappy at tuning stability)
~ Short scale lengths with light strings (Brian May excepted, he has a PhD in Physics)
~ Unreasonable expectations about how in-tune a guitar can be

If someone has problems with tuning on Schallers and Gotohs, it's either the nut or the user.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I have Floyds. :D
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

crushing day wrote: - Stretch your new strings out properly
- Always tune up to a note
this is what I was taught too... most of my guitars are hard tails so tuning is not 'usually' an issue for me.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

druz15 wrote:I have problems with the G on my LP Junior and Gretsch, I think it's something to do with the angled headstock
Plain G-strings are always the worst as they are the stiffest string on a guitar, so any given mechanical change (be it moving the tuner, bending or the neck expanding) results in a greater change in pitch than other strings. It's more sensitive.

This also applies to intonation matters, so pressing the string down onto the fretboard makes the G sharper than the others. Half the time when people tell me they're having trouble keeping their guitar in tune, they're actually talking about intonation problems which could stem from the guitar being fundamentally an imperfect system, their own death-grip, tuning to harmonics, or other user-errors rather than anything to do with the machine heads.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

I always find I get intonation issues if I stretch the strings out, but it seems to be just me.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7926 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

slash-ed wrote:I have Floyds. :D
Locking nuts are awesome :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

stretching strings is definitely the biggest cause of problems for me. If I don't stretch new strings then it takes a while for them to become stable, hence I always stretch strings.

my technique for stretching strings could do with some work though, I never feel I've done it right and I always worry about busting some hardware no matter how careful I try to be. I'm very tentative with the high E string though, I've a nasty habit of busting 9s so I'm sure I don't stretch these enough.

A couple of years ago I took the time to find out a proper way to actually wind the string onto the tuner and I think thats made a big difference as well. For the record I do the first turn over the string and the remaining turns under the string ideally for a couple of turns, so the string going through the tuner peg is trapped tightly and held in place - is this right?

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lyle »

Oh, on my floyd rose I thread the strings backwards. So the end with the ball thing goes through the hole in the machineheads, then I clamp the other end at the bridge.

Are there any issues doing this?

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

This is a good video for restringing technique.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc[/youtube]

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Lyle wrote:Oh, on my floyd rose I thread the strings backwards. So the end with the ball thing goes through the hole in the machineheads, then I clamp the other end at the bridge.

Are there any issues doing this?
Yes - you end up with a rainbow of retarded looking string ends on the loose, waiting to give you tetanus... in the eyeball.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

sty wrote:For the record I do the first turn over the string and the remaining turns under the string ideally for a couple of turns, so the string going through the tuner peg is trapped tightly and held in place - is this right?
That's what I do.

There are better self-locking methods, but I find them highly annoying to undo.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Re: Tuning Issues

Post by Lyle »

Theres no loose string ends poking my eyes. Headstock looks like this (if my phone lets me post images)

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

twistedthoughts wrote:This is a good video for restringing technique.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc[/youtube]
Thanks for posting that video, I'm going to stick with my one turn over and the rest under (which is a development of what he shows anyway), but what was useful is that I now know to use three fingers width on the string - up till now I've always guessed it. He also shows a demo of string stretching which was very useful, I suspect I've been a little harder than that, but I was holding the string down at the nut end with my spare hand.