Using a Panelbeater to refinish a guitar?

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Using a Panelbeater to refinish a guitar?

Post by willow13 »

BG wrote:Flying cars next :)
but the police'z tell us that that's why the road toll is crap :eh:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

actually just thinking about it "self healing" paint.....why did no one tell john kirwan (oops sorry sir john) about this :?: if they had painted the lines on the field with it it might have helped him to stop "freaking out" :thumbup:

:angel:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2277 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Post by Bg »

Emos could buy self harming paint instead.

Try the veal
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 775 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Miza »

I had a mate, who was a car painter at the time, paint an SG I used to own. He is also a guitarist, but at the time neither of us knew anything about guitar refinishing, paints to use, etc.

We left it natural wood and he used just a standard polyurethane to add a clear coat, but did 10 coats!!!

Needless to say the guitar didn't sound like it was made out of wood anymore.

At the time I didn't know why, but it had lost its mojo. Just sounded dull and lifeless.

Sold it to a guy in a metal band, he didn't seem to mind.
Nothing to see here.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

It's just poly so 10 coats is about standard fender thickness ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

babytaylor wrote:
Sold it to a guy in a metal band, he didn't seem to mind.
yep scooping the mids solves all tone issues .............

:wave:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2521 times

Post by Slowy »

mr_sooty wrote:A friend of mine once had his Stingray Bass refinished by a panelbeater. Seemed to come out alright. Anybody else tried this? What kind of paint do those guys use?
Sooty, on my black Tele, I used aerosol cans of Nitro lacquer from Wairau paints and would do it again.

Couple of points: The spray finish is heavy orange peel. The lacquer needs to cure for a few weeks then you sand it down with wet & dry and polish it up. I was delighted with the results, it looks and feels like an old finish. Mine is heavily relicd so I wasn't worried about perfection. It's time consuming; probably why polished nitro is expensive, but the finish is thin and feels really good.

All up cost about $90 and a tired arm.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

slowfingers wrote:All up cost about $90 and a tired arm.
Hang on, is this a thread about webcam sites now?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1391 times
Been liked: 2133 times

Post by GrantB »

The veal is proving very good.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7916 times
Been liked: 4263 times

Post by jeremyb »

Sand it back, dye body, Tru oil, WIN!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

slowfingers wrote: Sooty, on my black Tele, I used aerosol cans of Nitro lacquer from Wairau paints and would do it again.

Couple of points: The spray finish is heavy orange peel. The lacquer needs to cure for a few weeks then you sand it down with wet & dry and polish it up. I was delighted with the results, it looks and feels like an old finish. Mine is heavily relicd so I wasn't worried about perfection. It's time consuming; probably why polished nitro is expensive, but the finish is thin and feels really good.

All up cost about $90 and a tired arm.
Cool cheers. I'm just thinking about the incoming Jazzmaster and it's rediculously thick polyester coat. Would probably be quite a mission to strip it back though.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

BG wrote:
slowfingers wrote:All up cost about $90 and a tired arm.
Hang on, is this a thread about webcam sites now?
Wowowow! $90? How many minutes is that for?

But seriously, I've been thinking about getting my SG refinished, anyone know anyone in Chch that does this kinda thing? I once asked Alan but he said no...
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

mr_sooty wrote: Cool cheers. I'm just thinking about the incoming Jazzmaster and it's rediculously thick polyester coat. Would probably be quite a mission to strip it back though.
Getting a panelbeater to fix a thick factory finish is rediculous... sorry, I mean ridiculous. The main reason I disapprove of such a course of action - it will come back worse, not better and it will still be the same polyurethane. Other reasons include the fact that painting wood comes with different pitfalls to painting bog and steel, I've never seen a panelbeater buff a guitar finish properly (with one exception and he charges keenly for it), some actually use bog as grainfiller because that's what they do on cars, and finally they stll charge a lot to do the job properly if they're willing to do it properly at all.

That's not to say panelbeaters can't do it properly, they just don't seem to bother. The same applies to some of the pro guitar cowboys out there. One of the reasons I don't do refinishing right now is that I got caught up with fixing other luthiers' major cockups far too often. Some absolutely shocking work at full price. Getting flawless thin finishes on guitars is really hard. Especially refinishes and $400 I was charging on average just isn't enough unless you get it right first time every time, which doesn't happen that often. Most people aren't willing to pay what it really costs and those who do expect not just reasonable perfection but absolute perfection. It's just better to say no until I have more capacity and lower costs.

Now of course there will always be a chorus of "my mate painted my guitar for $150 and it was good"... but from what I've seen not everyone has the same eye for quality when it comes to paint work. And therein lies the problem.

Oh, and when your guitar body (because you can't trust them to disassemble/reassemble it) comes back with paint in places it shouldn't be and bits don't fit anymore, or it's thinner because they stripped it with a belt sander, or it's thicker because they just painted over the original finish or it's metallic because they decided it looked cooler, or the glue joints have opened up because they baked the finish or stripped it with heat, or the paint peels off in sheets because the auto primer won't stick to the resin in the wood, or, or, or all the other things I've seen and been asked to fix... you'll know why I'm so grumpy about this particular topic :wink:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mr Grumpybloke indeed ;)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2521 times

Post by Slowy »

Why do guitars need perfect finishes anyway? They're power tools not jewelery FFS.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.