Fender "String Rattle"... Why.??

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by B45-12 »

Oh yes - thanks BG I forgot - if you have the trem arm on the guitar that can get very loose in the threads and rattle when it hangs down. Hold onto the trem arm and strum and see if the rattle is still there - if not

3 possiblities - a) tighten up by rotating arm about - possibly may not work if thread is worn and if it does the arm is in an awkward position b) unscrew and leave off (sacrilidge) c) unscrew totally, coat thread on arm liberally with quick setting silicon rubber compound, screw back in and prop up in favourite playing position. Go away and have a 'quick one' (cup of tea that is!) then return and try out. You will still be able to unscrew/move the arm but it should cure the rattle if the arm is responsible.

Further to DrRog's hint with superglue on nut slots, I used to use an alternative for 12 strings that had annoying false tone due to wide slots (usually allways the B course pair) - simply used to slacken off string, slip a bit of thin paper under the string and in the nut slot, then retune and that got rid of weirdo noises quite well plus was very cheap.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

> unscrew and leave off (sacrilidge)

LOl - that's the normal way for my Strat. I'm not even sure where the trem arm is. I have the trem locked all the time.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

yep one of mines a hardtail the other dosnt have a trem arm that fits

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

nah, you're taking part of the spice away - trems are to be used, try taking Dave Gilmours off, I don't think he'd be too happy!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

umm whos dave gilmour?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

:eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Champers wrote:umm whos dave gilmour?

I didn't see a wink at the end of your post ? So you might want to (a) add one or (b) Get a little album called "The Wall" to listen to ? :wink:

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

ahh pink floyd, yeah i already got that album but had no idea who the bands members were. they were a bit before my time

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

:eek:

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

Excellent post indeed from B45-12
couple of things. Fret levelling? neck twist?

I agree on all the nut stuff, and action height, truss rod stuff, excellent!
nothing on the above two things though.
That mechanics steel rule held along the fret should show if the frets are level, but try it along the high and low side of the neck as well. Just might be a slight twist in a particular area of the neck. Also check that gaps are consistent between the rule and consecutive frets. If the rule shows a bow in the neck (there should be a little as mentioned) check it is consistent low side, middle and high side of the neck.
Also, is the action height consistent for every string? Is the radius of the fretboard causing low action on those strings? ie, are the saddles too low on those strings? Is the bridge set flatter than the radius of the neck requires?
I find if a nut is OK you can have low action. I would be concerned about spending $300 for a luthier and not getting the problem solved! can't you take it back to him? we do have consumer legislation in NZ !

Good luck, and I will look forward to hearing the outcome. Cheers
We can forgive the child who is afraid of the dark, we cannot forgive the adult who is afraid of the light!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I just had my fender String rattle cured by buying a custom made Bone Nut, that was made for my gat then fitted. $10 and it was singing lik never before.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Stevo posted

'couple of things. Fret levelling? neck twist?'

Good points mate, although I've never seen a neck twist yet on a strat - strangely only on Gibsons! You can usually pick this up by sighting down the neck/fretboard from the head - all the frets don't look evenly spaced.

In fact I have one instrument that does this to what seems quite a large degree but it does not, strangely, seem to affect the action (but it's an accoustic).

Goes to show how weird these things can be.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

yes - acoustics are weird... LOL
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

audiozephyr

Re: Fender "String Rattle"... Why.??

Post by audiozephyr »

Treva wrote:Excuse my Ignorance Chaps, but can anyone give me any "Info" on Why!
Fender "Strat" guitars, "Rattle very Tinny", on the: *G & B* strings.??
especially when played "Softly" (Lead) and when played "Hard" Rythm..
I have other guitars that *DO NOT*..So, why just Fenders.????
Any "Positive" Info, greatly appreciated... :)
:lol: Hi mate ,guitar tech ''Audio Zephyr''at your service. please contact me for a'free' consultation and quote......my email is listed in the nzguitars info page...cheers warren

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1375 times
Been liked: 2106 times

Post by GrantB »

All of this is good advice and should help improve the issue. As a rule, a Fender scale neck will rattle slightly more than a Gibson scale neck when setup exactly the same. It's pure math re. string vibration frequencies. Maybe that's what your luthier was trying to say Treva? Doesn't mean you have to put up with huge amounts of rattle though, and as everyone say here, it can be improved for sure. Good luck.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves