Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Relic Strat roject

Post by GrantB »

OK, some time ago I bought a Strat off of our beleagured, I mean beloved, founder and Zen God, BG. It is a 1996 Chinese bass wood 50th Anniversery Strat, with simply one of the best necks I've played - ever. I hated the average 3 tone burst so decided to make a relic out of it after I scored some vintage "green" stewmac plastic hardware and a set of my favourite Pete Biltoft vintage pickups. I'm going to, over very long periods of time, tell you all how it's going, amd ,aybe hear your ideas etc.

Right now the guitar is completely dismantled. I sanded the body tonight with 800 grit wet n dry and removed any shiny spots. I then ran some auto undercoat from Repco - 2 passes - over it. The brand is Dupli-Colour and it's an Aussie made Acrylic Lacquer, which is strong and you can apply in really thin coats and get an amazing finish. Limited colour options though.

So right now the body is matt white primer awaiting the odd scuff with 800 then straight into top coat Daphne Blue (well, Toyota something a rather).

The neck requires some work before I can "age", like the tuners I want to use are vintage style nickel Klusons so I have to fill the 10mm holes and re-drill to the correct size (11/32 I think). As you can see I have dowelled them in preparation. I used Remu dowell as it is more dense than pine and finishes nicer.

The peghead face will be painted like some very rare Strats from the 50's-60's were with custom colours. I have an E-bay Strat decal I scored some time back - 50's Spaghetti which I'll use.

I'll probably use the freeeze mothod of distressing but maybe use the Dick Smith ice in a can stuff...

Regular updates (I hope) to come...cheers

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Looking good already, mate!
Good work.

FWIW, I found lying the body flat gives me a better gloss finish on the clear coats, but I guess if you're gonna stress it, that's not so important...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Cheers - yes I've heard that and I might still try it - I have a Shoreline Gold Tele being done at the same time which I'd like to have a perfect finish...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

that neck was a beaut, when I bought it, it was covered in a very uneven lacquer. 30 mins wet and dry did the trick though :)

Looking forward to seeing more pix as you carry on with the project. Going to have to spend some time in the woodshed with my project :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Brown shoe polish will age that neck just right :wink:

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

An interesti ng twist tonight...did the first coat of blue - it is a very powdery matt finish...mmm...nothing like the american lacquer I've used recently...maybe the clear top coat holds the secret...all Dupli-Colour cans being used here...update to follow
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

got to be kiwi brown though! and not the dark tan stuff - way too red...

The clear coat lacquer will hold the secret, I've resprayed a couple of motorbikes with duplicolour - metallic silver and black, the lacquer is excellent :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Lovely colour - I assumet the idea is to make a distressed visual replica of a 60's custom strat so don't forget the greenish gunge in the crevices (that nickel plating used to corrode ever so slightly), the cigarette burn up by the 6th string on the head(where we used to park the fags while playing) and the inevitably word through finish where the arm goes over the body bout.

For extra authenticity, you could also have a stash of 'dried vegetable matter' down near the reverb can in the matching Fender amp but that might be going a little too far.

Must admit I find it sort of funny that someone would actually try to recreate those guitars, given the many improvements since, but good on you mate for going with it.
You can't do THAT on stage!

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Is that your old Gat BG ?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep...

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yeah, it is wierd to "stress" a guitar when I polish other ones... a suitably "rocked out" guitar is however somehow attractive...the blue looks awesome - photos to come...I have scumgy looking pickgaurds etc, and am prepared to urinate on the screws, bridge etc to corrode them quicker than normal, maybe after a big night to give it that little bit "extra"...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I would recommend having a big night out but leaving it until the morning, to make sure it's properly brewed....

We want Pics!!!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Of me urinating?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

> am prepared to urinate on the screws, bridge etc to corrode them quicker than normal,

TMI!!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Of me urinating?

erm, NO!