Humbucker/single for my acoustic guitar?

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Humbucker/single for my acoustic guitar?

Post by ash »

You might need to put more thought into this. If you can't cut into it and don't like piezos or soundhole pickups, there aren't really any other choices.

Also, don't go spending up on this idea, because there's a strong chance you won't like the result. A pickup is unlikely to sound the same as reamped mic output.

Try mounting your strat pickup in the soundhole in a non-destructive way. Perhaps carve a pickup holdy thing out of polystyrene and duct-tape it in place. If that works, look at one of the many soundhole pickups; Duncan, Rio Grande, etc. The Sunrise pickup is pretty much the pinnacle for this task. If you search for acoustic lap steel (Weissenborn) vids on youtube, you'll find lots of examples of Sunrise-equipped acoustics with distortion.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Humbucker/single for my acoustic guitar?

Post by Michael »

Dunno if you're still looking around or not, but I recently bought this and it turned up today. $60 shipped was a pretty good score I thought.

It sounds really great. Definitely got a bit more of an electric edge to it than straight up acoustic, but it's acoustic-y enough for me :D It sounds pretty good distorted. Plugging straight into my Presonus Inspire also sounds pretty decent.

Overall very happy, and maybe one of these is an option if you're looking for something a bit cheaper. There is a humbucker version too. Rockshop sells the SC and HB for $150 and $175 respectively.