Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Single coil sounding humbuckers...

Post by Zaulkin »

I have an HH style project body that I'm now desperately wishing I had got routed for SH instead...

Instead of making a mess of what I have or starting over, I'm thinking of going for a single coil sounding humbucker pickup. I want something noiseless that can get that jimi style tone with some light overdrive... The Pro Track is what I would have gone for if I had the single coil route...

Some say the Paf Pro is close to the Pro track but I dunno if I agree... I had one and it was good but not super stratty. Any suggestions?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Single coil sounding humbuckers...

Post by mr_sooty »

Put a Paf Pro in and add a push-pull pot for coil split. Easy to do and the Paf Pro sounds great split. I had that setup for years in an Epi LP100, sounded great.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

mr_sooty wrote:Put a Paf Pro in and add a push-pull pot for coil split. Easy to do and the Paf Pro sounds great split. I had that setup for years in an Epi LP100, sounded great.
I had that as well, but again, not very convincing. I want that really hot strat tone so I can dig in for some crunchy bluesiness

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

Why not mount up two single coils? like a humbucker but actually two independent SC's? you could easily modify a pickup surround to fit the two, assuming their combined width isn't larger than the humbucker hole?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

jeremyb wrote:Why not mount up two single coils? like a humbucker but actually two independent SC's? you could easily modify a pickup surround to fit the two, assuming their combined width isn't larger than the humbucker hole?
I have dreamt that one up already. It wont work out super well though as the wires at the bottom will push away the next pickup. I'm no wiring guru either, just want to drop in a different pickup.

Has anyone tried the bluesbucker? BG?

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Humbucker from hell might fit the bill...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Zaulkin wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:Put a Paf Pro in and add a push-pull pot for coil split. Easy to do and the Paf Pro sounds great split. I had that setup for years in an Epi LP100, sounded great.
I had that as well, but again, not very convincing. I want that really hot strat tone so I can dig in for some crunchy bluesiness
If you want hot single coil tones from a split humbucker, you'll need a MUCH higher output pickup than a PAF Pro. The output of a normal single coil is much higher than the output of half a low/medium output humbucker, so to get convincing single coil tones you'll need something pretty high output.

What about a humbucker spaced single coil or something like that?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

The only convincinly single coil sounding humbucker I've heard was single-coil sized. Not an expert, but I think it's something to do with the way the coils in a standard humbucker are spaced far enough apart that the tone is different at each coil and the way they combine is a big part of the humbucker sound. The coils in the single sized-humbucker pick up a much more similar sound in each coil.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

slash-ed wrote:
If you want hot single coil tones from a split humbucker, you'll need a MUCH higher output pickup than a PAF Pro.
Maybe, I'm just saying that this sounded good in my old guitar. YMMV etc.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Get Adrian to make you an overwound strat single with a dummy coil next to it. Or try a Duncan Stag-mag set to split.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Hot_Grits wrote:Get Adrian to make you an overwound strat single with a dummy coil next to it. Or try a Duncan Stag-mag set to split.
Now there's an idea.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I have a bluesbucker. It's nice. It's not what you're after.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

I have a Yamaha SA2100 which is HH both coil tappable. I've started using it in single coil mode lately and man it's great. I use a pedal to boost the volume of the signal back up so it doesn't feel quieter than the humbuckers and that's worked really well. I guess the pickups are the originals. It's not truly like a strat or tele I guess but for a mainly humbucker guy like me it's pretty much perfect for having the option of a single coil sound right there.

Another completely different option would be a humbucker sized P90 - Bareknuckle do a pearler called the Mississippi Queen.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

HB sized P90?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

jimi wrote:HB sized P90?
I thought of this too, except that he said hum cancelling.