http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/ ... l1copy.jpg
It's pretty shitty
but I'm a shitty kinda guy

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Jloo wrote: whats that furry little thing doing down there?!!
Carpet normally covers the floor... :P
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Jloo wrote:now thats what i call PimpED!

whats that furry little thing doing down there?!!
Furry little thing? You mean the little white weird-looking rabbit thing? That's Mashimaro: http://www.mashimaro.com/gallery/flash_opening.asp
http://www.bictody.com/mashimaro.html

8) You probably shouldn't have asked, right? ;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Optimus_prime wrote:I got a tad board in photoshop
so I did what all cool guys do
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/ ... l1copy.jpg
It's pretty shitty
but I'm a shitty kinda guy
That's a lot of colours ;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Rog's FrankenP - progress report

Post by Rog »

I received my new Probe bass last night and the upgrade is nearly done.

When the bass arrived, it was actually very playable for a $199 brand new MIC bass - far better than I expected. The neck is very nice, a tad thinner than a Fender P, quite fast and the tuners very stable. The body finish is a bit thin in one place and the pups were fine - quite strong, although maybe lacking a bit of definition. The pots operated smoothly and no scratching. The tone roll-off was perfect for a P. All in all, it was well set up and perfectly playable. As far as I'm concerned, I would've been happy to gig with it as was.

However, the object was to FrankenP it, so I stripped it and found out that the body is solid wood (basswood apparently), not plywood like some other Chinese instruments. As I pulled out the pups, two of the wires just fell off - this was repeated as soon as I moved the scratchplate - two wires fell of the controls. This was a clear indication of poor factory soldering, so I resoldered all joints.

I thought the instrument looked quite nice in red with the white plastic scratchplate, but I wanted to re-use my old solid brass plate, so off it went.

The pups came out easily and I re-used the foam padding for my DiMarzios. I replaced the pups in the same screw holes as the original, but I noticed they didn't line up perfectly under the strings (I didn't actually check this with the original pups), so I had to adjust their position a little.

I wired the pups with a series/parallel switch, as I've found that allows for a bit more bite on some songs and a more bass on others.

The neck pocket fit with my new neck was very tight - in fact I had to slap it into place (that'll larn it).

The screw holes for the brass scratchplate didn't line up overly well, but I expected that also.

At this stage I've left the factory strings on, being my only bass with rounds.

I assembled it all, plugged it in had a thrash - it is a very nice playing bass. I can gig with this no worries and when I play bass again, it'll become my everyday P bass when I need a red P with rounds. My other P is purple with flats & my Jazz is white with flats.

Next step is to get a bridge cover (I don't like bare bridges) and a thumb rest (I never use them, other than for a place to put my pick, but a Fender bass just doesn't look right without one), since my scratchplate has the holes for one.

When they're fitted, it will be completed.

The object of my little exercise was to make it look and play like a real Fender P Bass - I think that'll be quite achievable. Funnily enough, the thing weighs about the same as my real Fender - I expected it to be lighter.

If I had to buy all the bits and do this process, it would have been a stupid upgrade and cost more than a MIM P bass, but since I had the major bits lying around, it was a great upgrade. Of course, I could have made my own P body and gone through all of that, but I just couldn't be bothered - its only money.

I'll post pics when I've got all the parts and its finished.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

stewbaby
Stagg
Stagg

Re: Rog's FrankenP - progress report

Post by stewbaby »

Rog wrote:I received my new Probe bass last night and the upgrade is nearly done.

When the bass arrived, it was actually very playable for a $199 brand new MIC bass - far better than I expected. The neck is very nice, a tad thinner than a Fender P, quite fast and the tuners very stable. The body finish is a bit thin in one place and the pups were fine - quite strong, although maybe lacking a bit of definition. The pots operated smoothly and no scratching. The tone roll-off was perfect for a P. All in all, it was well set up and perfectly playable. As far as I'm concerned, I would've been happy to gig with it as was.
The first Bass I bought my son was a Probe... and no-one here had heard of them. I now have the Probe and he has a Squier 5 string P-bass Special.

The Probe is mine now, and is likely to be all that I ever need.
Stewbaby

All your guitars are belong to us!

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

Tsuken, your pimped guitar rules
"I am the Black Wizard"

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

hey rog did you get ure probe bass from trademe?

man i would really want to build my own guitar... can even picture it in my mind right now.... maybe ash could put tgt a guitar building class :P
will definitely start of my dream guitar after this year when i have nothing to really worry about

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

I have an ond neck and pups + hardware to use, i just need the tools to shape a body.

I think i will need a band saw or something... Ash?
"I am the Black Wizard"

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

you can use a jigsaw if you're very careful, and a rasp, files, sandpaper (or belt sander). One thing you can't really get away from is a router - well you can but I wouldn't try it without.

The biggest thing you need though is patience.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

A $30 jigsaw, a power drill,a forstner bit and a sharp chisel is about all the technology you need if you want to keep it simple. You still have to know some woodworking skills, perhaps more this way, but its all do-able. Plenty of resources on the internet to show the steps. If you want to skip some of the hard parts and avoid spending $100 on tools, PM me and I'll see what we can come up with. Polar Bear's breadboard guitar was made without much fancy gear, but a little of my handiwork in the difficult stages.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog

Post by Rog »

Yes, when I used to make my own guitars, all I had was a sawbench (which is why I only have three useable fingers on my left hand - LOL), a hand jigsaw, a planer, hammer and chisels, electric drill and sandpaper.

For the routing, I used the drill, with a bit of tape wrapped around the bit to give me the depth to basically honeycomb the area, then chiselled it out smooth. I've never owned or operated a router.

That's lo tech, but one can go high tech just as easily.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Jloo - yes TM.

Stewbaby, I know what you mean - if I wasn't so shallow I needed to have Fenders, I'd be happy to gig with a Probe too - they're damn good value, the neck is very nice to play.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

ash wrote:A $30 jigsaw, a power drill,a forstner bit and a sharp chisel is about all the technology you need if you want to keep it simple. You still have to know some woodworking skills, perhaps more this way, but its all do-able. Plenty of resources on the internet to show the steps. If you want to skip some of the hard parts and avoid spending $100 on tools, PM me and I'll see what we can come up with. Polar Bear's breadboard guitar was made without much fancy gear, but a little of my handiwork in the difficult stages.
Indeed, it's playing a lot nicer now that I've actually set it up a little too. The body is fantastic, however don't be a spud when it comes to the wiring, it can really let the side down. :oops:
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

So tell me about these Probe guitars. There is one a trademe that looks like it could fit what I'm looking for. I'm going to make a frankenstrat.

Where are they made? What wood do they use?