Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Frankenstrat time!

Post by Red Fred »

Well I have finally decided to make a frankenstrat. I will post more about the specific project later because at the moment I'm trying to figure out where the best place to buy parts is. I'm undecided as to buy from eBay or a parts website like Stewmac/Warmoth.

Also is it worth buying genuine Fender hardware? What are the alternitives? What brands are terrible?

Also are there any sites that sell genuine Fender necks? There is a guy on eBay who sells tonnes of them but I would rather go through a proper store. :)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I thinki it is best to buy a cheap one of trade me then do what you want to it. By the time you paint and mod it it won't kill the bank.

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Hmm nah I kinda want it to end up being a really nice guitar, plus I want to build as much of it as possible myself you see. I'm steering toward Warmoth, they seem to have reasonible prices.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Do what BG did and got a block of nice flame wood from Ash.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

or buy a body and neck from Ash and assemble it yourself :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

This is kinda what I want it to look like. But with a matt black bit of pickguard where the controls are and of course it would have the cavities for the middle pickup. Also the finish would be matt no glossy.

Yeah well I plan to get Ash to do the body for me! :D So Ash can you please gimme an esitmate for that body. I want the jack on the side like on a tele, it needs to be able to fit a tele neck, I want SSH configuration (even though I ain't putting a mid pu in) and I would like it in Sunburst finish, matt if you can otherwise I will just sand it. Oh yeah and swamp ash wood. Thanks.
Last edited by Red Fred on Thu May 12, 2005 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Please

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Those details sound like the kind of thing someone famous whipped up in there garage out of 4 broken guitars.... Who are you going to be tonight, Fred?

It all depends on how much you value genuine quality over genuine logos. Fender hardware is nothing special. Fender necks are a waste of time unless they're going on a real Fender. It will never be a real Fender and you'll always know that and no-one else really matters.

My first pick for hardware is always Gotoh. Their manufacturing techniques are vastly superior to all others and their tuners in particular will outlast anything.

First stop for pickups should be Kent Armstrong, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan. Anything cheaper than KA is probably well down on quality. With anything else like Bill Lawrence, Joe Barden, EMG etc you need to be sure you'r getting the sound you want as they don't have as much selection as the main three brands.

Get a WD neck from me or DBM for best value, or for best quality, I can make one superior to any traditional tele neck I've seen yet.

And sit down while you check your PM, because swamp ash is stupidly expensive around here!!! :D
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Tonight Matthew I'm going to be.....Eddie Van halen ** Crowd cheers.... 8)

Anyway yeah I'm keen for gotoh hardware, my Tokai uses Gotoh and it's nice stuff.
Has anyone tried these Kent Armstrong pickups? They seem like good value if they are similar quality to SDs.

What's the difference between the normal neck and superior neck?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

A normal Fender style neck is made of one peice of flatsawn wood. It is optimised for ease of manufacturing because flatsawn wood machines around the edges without chipping. Unfortunately is is the least stable orientation and if it statrs to move, it will tend to twist basswards causing buzzes aroung the treble 12th fret region and bass 7th fret region. Ibanez and Fender often have this problem to some degree.

Quarter sawn neck wood is better as it is naturally more stable and if it does move, will usually do so in a way that the truss rod can deal with. Gibson and PRS do this.

The way I make necks is a lamination of 2 or 3 peices in a radial grain orientation with a quarter sawn fretboard. This is like adding lateral stability to the quartersawn neck and is about as good as a wooden neck gets without adding carbon fibre. Most of the premium boutique makers do this, and many thru neck basses have been like this for years. Some common brands (Ibanez etc) have started to do this, but they still don't get the grain orientations right every time.

A custom made neck also gives you the opportunity to minimise the neck heel, perfect the shape, choose inlays, frets, finish, head shape etc.

Its not exactly the poor student edition though!!
And despite the shortcomings of the Fender developed method, it has worked fine for over 50 years. There's always room for improvement though ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

a little off topic...

a right handed neck is exactly the same as a left handed one right? except the fret dots and the headstock.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Depends on the maker. Some necks like the Satriani and EVH signature models have an assymetric back shape, which would not be the same reversed and some, especially Ibanez have contoured neck joints that only fit one way around.

Most strat or tele necks would be symmetrical except for nut, side dots and headstock.