Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Joshua_Zahn
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Making a body, what wood and from were?

Post by Joshua_Zahn »

I've been thinking about creating a projectbass. It's gonna be a flying v :) Any suggestions as to what kind of wood to use, where to get it from and how much it'll cost, would be apreciated. I've gutted an old ibanez p/j bass and bought a new neck from rog, so now all I need is the body and some patience.

I've got to go buy some tools too.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I used to use Matai, Rimu or Kauri and got the planks from a local sawmill for bugger all money.

Ash, as a matter of interest, could a body be made (and still work) from a cross cut section, rather than long cut? Sorta like a coffee table?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Rog wrote:Sorta like a coffee table?
Coffee table guitars :? ? Thought you didn't like natural finishes Rog?

:P

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

Wouldnt it be much easier if you get a block of wood with the exact thickness from Ash?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Yep, it probably would be they way. I have all kinds of useful woods to choose from. I do thicknessed and joined body blanks or if you want to save some time and money on tools, I can do a blank with pre-routed holes that you just need to cut out the outline and start sanding.

Body blanks start at $60. Kauri is a good choice, but I have maple, alder, mahogany, rimu, etc etc...

PM me if you want more info.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Rog wrote:I used to use Matai, Rimu or Kauri and got the planks from a local sawmill for bugger all money.

Ash, as a matter of interest, could a body be made (and still work) from a cross cut section, rather than long cut? Sorta like a coffee table?
Can't get Kauri, Rimu or Matai for bugger all money anymore, unfortunately!! Its all priced higher than rare exotics from all corners of the World in many cases.

You can make a crossgrain guitar, but you're giving away lots of stiffness and thus sustain. It would also invite a big split through one of the pickup holes if you bumped it firmly enough under full string tension.

One of my weekend experimental guitars is a chambered acoustic/electric hybrid where the back is made up of a mosaic of Oak and Kauri in the pattern of the Hamilton tartan. It has a Kauri top conventionally oriented to hold it all together, so strength isn't a big concern. It probably won't sound as nice as solid wood though, but thats not the point of the exercise.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

how much would a LP body + neck cost?
mahogany

Rog

Post by Rog »

Rotfl @ Gelato~

Rog

Post by Rog »

Ash, I was just imagining a 'different' grain finish for those who like grain finishes. I suppose one could use a veneer top of cross cut over a length cut body ... it'd be easier for Zakk to get his concentric circle design.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Jloo wrote:how much would a LP body + neck cost?
mahogany
Somewhere between $200 and $4000.

Care to be a little more specific? :D

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Rog wrote:Ash, I was just imagining a 'different' grain finish for those who like grain finishes. I suppose one could use a veneer top of cross cut over a length cut body ... it'd be easier for Zakk to get his concentric circle design.
There's no reason why that wouldn't work. A veneer is thin enough not to influence strength noticably. Although veneers off table slabs are a bit hard to come by, and ridiculously fragile to handle. A carefully arranged centre-end joined pair of flitch cut ash or mahogany veneers would resemble tightly flamed maple to the unwashed eye at a fraction of the cost.

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

A plain mahagony LP body with binding Doesnt need to have a beautiful top. Left handed.
Neck: Maple. Flatter neck. Ebony fingerboard. Left handed.

Im not too familiar with LPs. Hopefully that'll be enough info.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

That's enough info to make a wild guess, but it still leaves an awful lot of options unspecified. My spec sheet for custom guitars has about 60 items to specify and 95 steps. You just covered about 10 of those :D

The wild guess would be about $1000 plus or minus up to $500

I should make a thread explaining the detail involved in making a quote. I'll do that later.

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

damn.... 60 items and 95 steps

1000 +- 500 sounds pretty decent for me...
gotta start saving some real cash now

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Custom Guitars rock