Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: Stupidly powerful humbucker

Post by handsoffmatt »

Single coil wrote:
Knowing me I'll probably go with a set of moderate gain dimarzios, brand loyalty and whatnot, if I end up swapping the things at all. :lol: More curious to know the most ridiculous pickup/s available.

X2N. It's pretty mental.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I've been wanting to try some Dirty Fingers out. They're not too dare and Mike Sullivan uses em.
The problem is I want huge gain but also do quite clean stuff too, so don't want them naturally overdriving the amp too much. Might grab a Super distortion and a DF and A/B them and maybe chuck one on the neck with coil tap for clean stuff
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've got a 2xn. Do you want to try it to see if it gets you where you want to go?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

There's a definite
druz15 wrote:I've been wanting to try some Dirty Fingers out. They're not too dare and Mike Sullivan uses em.
The problem is I want huge gain but also do quite clean stuff too, so don't want them naturally overdriving the amp too much. Might grab a Super distortion and a DF and A/B them and maybe chuck one on the neck with coil tap for clean stuff
I have some dirty fingers, I'm not exactly a clean tone connoisseur, but I don't feel like they drive a clean amp too hard. There is a definite boost when I compare the two SGs I have (one having the 498 combo whatever that is, the standard combo they seem to have in most SGs) playing dirty, and if anything the DFs sound smoother and less harsh than the 498 set when on clean. granted, this doesn't happen often, but maybe that helps a little bit Druz

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

cholera wrote:There's a definite
druz15 wrote:I've been wanting to try some Dirty Fingers out. They're not too dare and Mike Sullivan uses em.
I have some dirty fingers, I'm not exactly a clean tone connoisseur, but I don't feel like they drive a clean amp too hard. There is a definite boost when I compare the two SGs I have (one having the 498 combo whatever that is, the standard combo they seem to have in most SGs) playing dirty, and if anything the DFs sound smoother and less harsh than the 498 set when on clean. granted, this doesn't happen often, but maybe that helps a little bit Druz
Cheers man sounds just the ticket, just worried about them into the plexi really, at 0.5 on the volume and into the low gain channel it'll still break up with the buckers in my Greco LP Custom.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

druz15 wrote:at 0.5 on the volume and into the low gain channel it'll still break up with the buckers in my Greco LP Custom.
Have you tried a 36th Anniversary dimarzio? might be just the ticket!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

jeremyb wrote:
druz15 wrote:at 0.5 on the volume and into the low gain channel it'll still break up with the buckers in my Greco LP Custom.
Have you tried a 36th Anniversary dimarzio? might be just the ticket!
the pups in my custom are pretty PAFish already. Tbh there's nothing wrong with them I just want a ridiculously hot bridge pickup for teh br00tz post-metal breakdowns. It's mostly achieved through fuzz pedals though so hotter pickups may not even help that much. Anyway threadjack over everyone pay attention to OP now

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

For those looking for high gain, but still capable of clean, the Duncan Custom Custom is a good option.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Have taken danny up on the x2n hire offer.
Also have a neck p'u on the way; should really change the title to something more appropriate. :lol:

WTB: Grunty single coil/hot rail for neck (because pickups aren't really made for the middle). Must have black cover.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Why not actives? Battery compartment hassles? Because, while I love passives too, SD blackouts rule the high gain roost IMO...I don't know if they are actually the most actual output relatively though.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Just found them a bit underwhelming.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Single coil wrote:Have taken danny up on the x2n hire offer.
Also have a neck p'u on the way; should really change the title to something more appropriate. :lol:

WTB: Grunty single coil/hot rail for neck (because pickups aren't really made for the middle). Must have black cover.
I think I've got one of those hanging around too :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Single coil wrote:

dimarzio sds 1 will keep up with anything you throw at it as will the duncan quarter pound
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

willow13 wrote:If you are digging the JB then put an alnico 8 magnet in it...fattens them up nicely
Is that what you have in your Charvel?
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

This thread is now about stupidly grunty single coils (that aren't me on steroids)!