Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

JustMatt
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Solder Free Guitar Wiring

Post by JustMatt »

I am working on designing and building a range of premium grade, solder free guitar wiring harnesses (Strats then Teles at this stage) using all of the usual suspects of CTS pots, Oak Grisgby / CRL switches, switchcraft jacks etc.

The key difference of-course will be the solder free connectors for ground wires, jack and pickups so you can whip it in and out (as well as changing pickups) without touching a soldering iron.

Thoughts?

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Re: Solder Free Guitar Wiring

Post by TmcB »

It's a great call, I know that if I could be arsed I'd put some terminals or something in my control cavities
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I think it's a great idea! But make sure you include some pseudoscientific graphs showing that they don't have a different tone to solder joints :lol:

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Eruera wrote:I think it's a great idea! But make sure you include some pseudoscientific graphs showing that they don't have a different tone to solder joints :lol:
Better go find my crayons.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
Eruera wrote:I think it's a great idea! But make sure you include some pseudoscientific graphs showing that they don't have a different tone to solder joints :lol:
No, no, no, no.... the pseudo-scientific graphs should show the impurities in the lead-based solder decrease tone and "solderless" connections avoid this significant tone suck, resulting in a significant increase in both clarity and output.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Danger Mouse wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
No, no, no, no.... the pseudo-scientific graphs should show the impurities in the lead-based solder decrease tone and "solderless" connections avoid this significant tone suck, resulting in a significant increase in both clarity and output.
Imagine if that were true - and you went to solderless and it was so bright it hurt your ears.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Danger Mouse wrote:
:lol: Good point. Matt, it's time to change tack a little. Sell your harnesses as a way of eliminating the tone suck arising from the impurities in solder, that happen to be alot easier to work with as well. Oh, and make sure you dip everything in liquid nitrogen at some point.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

If you could gold plate the ends, that'd be fabulous

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Haha, thanks fellas. Doing my best to avoid the snake oil. Just nice tidy wiring that works without the nasty soldering accidents. I will look into the nitrogen though. That shit looks fun.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Would it be completely solder less, even to the jackplate? What price would it be aiming for compared to buying the pots and caps etc unassembled? Or compared to buying a soldered up one, that you still have to do extra soldering yourself?

Also would it be worthwhile having it so that you could change the tone cap out, and try different ones?

Also, what is already on the market that does a similar thing?

JustMatt
Gibson

Re:

Post by JustMatt »

AiRdAd wrote:Would it be completely solder less, even to the jackplate? What price would it be aiming for compared to buying the pots and caps etc unassembled? Or compared to buying a soldered up one, that you still have to do extra soldering yourself?

Also would it be worthwhile having it so that you could change the tone cap out, and try different ones?

Also, what is already on the market that does a similar thing?
Hey man,

It would be completely solder-less so you can clip the wires on your current harness and put this in without burning fingers.

At this stage I am working on the CAD drawings for a vintage strat kit, modern strat kit and blender kit, all of which have the caps loaded on top of the pots per usual so you can change them out (as well as the pots and switch if you are clever) but you will have to do it the old fashioned way. I have had a quick think about how we could do interchangeable everything but things started getting messy.

There are a few others out there who are doing full solder less PCB boards with fancy dip switches and a whole host of pre-loaded caps etc which are pretty cool but we are not going that far (too many options make my head go fuzzy).

Price is a big fat 'dont know' at this stage. They will probably be the same as our Emerson kits (I dont see them being any more) though it will depend on the final component costs and how long it takes me to wire them. I hope to have some protos late January to play with and work these things out.

I have started putting a website together already (jumping the gun I know)

http://www.obsidianwire.com/

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Thanks for your thoughts on the above folks. I need a few chaps with genuine Fender strats to do some testing for me. Basically I send you a kit (freebie) and you install it tell me what you think. PM me if you are keen. Naturally I can only do a few of these so let me know ASAP if you are keen.

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

For anybody who is not too cool to care these are the boards that I am now making. The install time is about 5 minutes + how ever long it takes for you to play with your strings, and a pickup change is about the same

Tele kits are due for release next week ish and come in 3 & 4 way options.

Hand wired right here in my house by me.

Last edited by JustMatt on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Those look awesome!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Eruera wrote:Those look awesome!
^^^^^^^ :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.