Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2491 times
Been liked: 2803 times

Re: Improving Les Paul Ground / Earth

Post by Molly »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
- Also try Global PC or JayCar for solder. They do little $3 packs of it that will last a life time (for a low solder user) and is the best quality stuff I have found.
Thanks Mathew. Just put in an order for a couple of pots (just in case I overdo it and weld another one....). Will get into JayCar next time we're up in Christchurch. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, what wattage iron do you use for the larger connections (backs of pots mainly)? Is an 80w iron too hot? I've a few others. A 40 and a 25 from memory.

Thanks.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Molly wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
- Also try Global PC or JayCar for solder. They do little $3 packs of it that will last a life time (for a low solder user) and is the best quality stuff I have found.
Thanks Mathew. Just put in an order for a couple of pots (just in case I overdo it and weld another one....). Will get into JayCar next time we're up in Christchurch. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, what wattage iron do you use for the larger connections (backs of pots mainly)? Is an 80w iron too hot? I've a few others. A 40 and a 25 from memory.

I use a 40w as it is good for everything I do but an 80 would be perfect for back of pot. The idea is to get it hot fast so the solder melts then get the heat away from it before the heat travels to its insides. Kinda like searing the outide of a steak over a dangerously hot BBQ whilst keeping the insude red and tasty.

Thanks.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Bah. I wish I could preform basic forum functions ^^

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
Molly wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:

I use a 40w as it is good for everything I do but an 80 would be perfect for back of pot. The idea is to get it hot fast so the solder melts then get the heat away from it before the heat travels to its insides. Kinda like searing the outide of a steak over a dangerously hot BBQ whilst keeping the insude red and tasty.

Thanks.
LOL. Thanks for the advice, and for the steak analogy. Hungry now :-(

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Polar Bear wrote:
TmcB wrote:What.

Ah balls, so I managed to miss out on all the Bareknuckles somehow
Too much sootying?
I'll wear that- it was my fault. :oops:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
Hi Mathew.

Big thanks for the parcel today and the solder 'freebie'. That was very good of you.

Not for the first time Mathew's included some wee 'problem solver' gratis. Those elusive screws etc. Much appreciated.