Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thisbetterwork
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Guitar strap lock on neck plate

Post by thisbetterwork »

Hello

Quick question: has anyone installed a strap lock button on the neck plate, in place of one of the guitar screws?

I'm looking to do this myself on a telecaster so I can have a more comfortable strap. I have schaller locks but they don't quite work as the strap lock screws are smaller than the neck plate screws.

Before I go putting dowels, toothpicks or other round objects into the neck plate screw hole, is there another way I'm missing to put on strap locks here? Has anyone done this before and have any tips?

Thank you

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Re: Guitar strap lock on neck plate

Post by Jay »

I would not recommend this. If you have to, I would take the plate off, drill a hole in the middle of the plate and mount the strap lock there.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

What's wrong with the conventional method on the body of the guitar?

thisbetterwork
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thisbetterwork »

Thanks for your replies. I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do this:

1) I believe Mark Knopfler makes it look cool in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ffIJ7ZO4U
2) The normal place to attach a strap on my tele is too far to the right for me (personal preference). This means to keep the guitar comfortably in the middle (With the strap vertical) when I stand, the neck is too far to the left. The neck plate screw location is much better to mount the strap lock as its more central. Note this reason may be incomprehensible lol
3) The guitar seems more balanced when I tied the strap to the neck screw. This might be because the screws being more to the left when I stand, as opposed to the normal fixing point which is too far to the right (yes I know the tele has been around for a long time but again personal preference)
4) If I mount the strap lock here, and do the same for a strat, then the feel of both will be the same. Since the strap is mounted on the same place in both guitars now. Wheras they would be different before.

Kind regards,
this better work

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I just drilled a hole in the centre of the plate for an extra strap pin on my bender Tele

thisbetterwork
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thisbetterwork »

Upon further reconsideration it might indeed be better to drill the plate, and leave the four screws alone. Ill probably do this this weekend. What could possibly go wrong.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

Surely all you need is a slightly longer neck screw to go through the strap button and neck plate?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Why? Knopfler looks cool . . . that cracked me up. I’d say drill the plate and screw into the guitar’s body. It makes sense to me, I find for some reason a 335 feels comfortable with the strap there.

thisbetterwork
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thisbetterwork »

@twang - I presume you mean replacing one of the neck plate screws with a strap button screw? The problem is that the strap button screw is of a smaller diameter than the original neck plate screws. So the strap lock screw is loose in the hole. Was going to superglue in a dowel and drill a small hole but this seems irreversible so I'm probably not going to do this now

@bbrun - I find it more comfortable too :). Especially on a strat since the strap hugs your body more

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

thisbetterwork wrote:I have schaller locks
I'd recommend the cheap plastic dunlop locks. The pointy schaller pull button ones might get a bit uncomfortable in that location.

thisbetterwork
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thisbetterwork »

True, if its the case Ill get some of them.