Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Neck Issue

Post by Clanger »

The top of my neck seems more bowed than the bottom?

Top:

Shitty pics, I know, but the top is definitely more bowed than the bottom.

Bottom:

I know the bottom pic is not the same angle, but the bottom is definitely straighter.

Is my neck warped, or will it come right if I just straighten it? I don't want to straighten it out then to find the bottom is arching the other way though, that's why I thought I'd ask what you guys think, first.
Make Music Great Again

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Neck Issue

Post by willow13 »

If you hold the guitar up and looking straight down the fretboard with your chin by the rear strap button you should be able to see any twist that might be there (don't be influenced by what the strings are telling you, the different thicknesses can mess with your eyes....look past them to the wire and wood) . I would start to adjust the truss rod. Slowly tighten it with small turns and keep checking as I said above
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

willow13 wrote:If you hold the guitar up and looking straight down the fretboard with your chin by the rear strap button you should be able to see any twist that might be there (don't be influenced by what the strings are telling you, the different thicknesses can mess with your eyes....look past them to the wire and wood) . I would start to adjust the truss rod. Slowly tighten it with small turns and keep checking as I said above
I still see a little difference looking down the neck. I'll tighten it a bit and see how we go.
Make Music Great Again

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

The eyecrometer is not a tool to be relied on. Use a real measurement tool - feeler gauges are cheap as chips.

No neck is perfectly straight, a twist is only a problem if you have symptoms.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

I would loosen the strings, take the truss rod nut off (while counting the number of turns). Lubricate the thread ever so sparingly, including the metal bit which the nut gets screwed on to. Put it back with the same number of turns you counted before. Then tighten in small steps, say 90 degrees each step. I prefer to loosen the strings every time before tightening the nut. The truss rod is for adjusting a bow, not warp, but I presume you try to lower the action on the big E string side.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I had to do a similar thing to a couple of old 80`s guitars. Both truss rods were loosened and after a few weeks the necks moved and picked up the slack of the loosened rod. after watching my fav youtuber Earl, the old guy who fixes guitars look it up mate talks about how a loose truss rod reduces tone.
I tightened them both up and the guitars came alive.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

If the truss rod won't bring the neck back in line, it could still be replaned flat. A good l u t h I e r could do this for you ;-)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

a good loothier? :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Yeah, look it up mate!