Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

LucyTheSpud
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Noisey strat

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Hmmm. Troy (2sassy) left a custom shop 57 strat in my workshop. Has a wicked buzz when not earthed (even in position 2 and 4). All wiring is factory stock, except for the treble bleed mod which he resecured after one end came loose. All the earthing is intact. Noise disappears when the volume knob is all the way off, and the same noise happens regardless of pickup selector position.

Any ideas? Iv checked for dry solder, and i dont want to start pulling pots/switches out to replace as the wiring is all custom shop stock

Chur

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Noisey strat

Post by JustMatt »

Got a photo of the wiring?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Check at the output jack the wires aren't reversed :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Anything else plugged in to the same power circuit? Had a horrendous buzz through my rig the other week until I unplugged an old light that was in the same power board.
Loving it so far

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

StratMatt wrote:Anything else plugged in to the same power circuit? Had a horrendous buzz through my rig the other week until I unplugged an old light that was in the same power board.
He brought it to us with that problem, and it did in 2 different amps at the shop. Its a really high buzzing, quieter than the guitar but still obviously present

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

LucyTheSpud wrote:Hmmm. Troy (2sassy) left a custom shop 57 strat in my workshop. Has a wicked buzz when not earthed (even in position 2 and 4). All wiring is factory stock, except for the treble bleed mod which he resecured after one end came loose. All the earthing is intact. Noise disappears when the volume knob is all the way off, and the same noise happens regardless of pickup selector position.

Any ideas? Iv checked for dry solder, and i dont want to start pulling pots/switches out to replace as the wiring is all custom shop stock

Chur
Hopefully not my old white '60? I screened the cavities on that one. Maybe there's an issue with something touching ground?
Edit: Sorry, I see it's a '57.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Molly wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:Hmmm. Troy (2sassy) left a custom shop 57 strat in my workshop. Has a wicked buzz when not earthed (even in position 2 and 4). All wiring is factory stock, except for the treble bleed mod which he resecured after one end came loose. All the earthing is intact. Noise disappears when the volume knob is all the way off, and the same noise happens regardless of pickup selector position.

Chur
Hopefully not my old white '60? I screened the cavities on that one. Maybe there's an issue with something touching ground?
Edit: Sorry, I see it's a '57.
I freaked then, thought id got the year wrong as it is a white one...but no, i definitely remember 57 relic stamped into the cavity under the pickups.

Also, as far as strats go, holy shit is this thing beautiful. Big fat baseball neck on it, raw maple. Pickups are too clean for my taste, but they sounded amazing regardless.

Its definitely an earth issue somewhere, il make sure the earths are all seperated out and re check the joints

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Hmm, I suspect the treble bleed mod, I'd start there by taking it off--that way you will also do no harm to the original wiring. (But also check the bridge earth is properly attached. Is there a body cavity earth as well?) And it could be the volume pot, especially if it got cooked when the treble bleed mod was added.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Hmm, I suspect the treble bleed mod, I'd start there by taking it off--that way you will also do no harm to the original wiring. (But also check the bridge earth is properly attached. Is there a body cavity earth as well?) And it could be the volume pot, especially if it got cooked when the treble bleed mod was added.
Treble bleed was on there factory standard (according to Troy) so i dont see how it could be an issue, but il give that a crack

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Not playing it in the Michael Fowler Centre?

(Sorry, old Forum in-joke...)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

LucyTheSpud wrote:Image
No image.... :-(

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Molly wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:Image
No image.... :-(
Cant get it to work...

https://imgur.com/a/gB0wS

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I can't see all of the pic, but it looks like you might not have a wire from the bridge to ground. You can also optionally ground to the body too - I don't know if that makes a difference, but I've seen it done on guitars I've had.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

AiRdAd wrote:I can't see all of the pic, but it looks like you might not have a wire from the bridge to ground. You can also optionally ground to the body too - I don't know if that makes a difference, but I've seen it done on guitars I've had.
Its vintage spec, earth goes pot - jack lug - bridge.