50s vs 60s wiring for a Les Paul - thoughts?

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

50s vs 60s wiring for a Les Paul - thoughts?

Post by sirvill »

Considering replacing the wiring harness in the LP.

Thoughts on 50s vs 60s wiring? Everyone seems to rave about the 50s.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: 50s vs 60s wiring for a Les Paul - thoughts?

Post by GrantB »

Yes...and if you an, no-load tone pots.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I put fresh pots and caps in the R7 the other day. Went with '50s wiring for obvious reasons I suppose. Now it's done I'm considering a treble bleed as it's a touch muddy when backed-off. Used orange drop caps. Noticed the tone change isn't linear and wondered if different caps would change that?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Noticed the tone change isn't linear and wondered if different caps would change that?
Did you use Linear or Audio taper pots?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote: Noticed the tone change isn't linear and wondered if different caps would change that?
Did you use Linear or Audio taper pots?
Hmm... I'm not sure but got them from Mathew at Tone Lounge so I'm sure they're 'optimal' so to speak. Truthfully wasn't aware of a difference. I've never specified anything other than the value.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Was thinking about grabbing one of these badboys from our good friend Matt:

http://tonelounge.co.nz/obsidianwire-tr ... -les-paul/

Probably not no load pots though.

In terms of the particular cap, someone on Seymour Duncan reckons the brand of cap makes no difference at all: http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/ ... your-caps/ Using a different value cap might change things though?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Well, a quick visit to the SD website m'self and I'm all schooled-up on linear v audio taper. Have to say I think I'd want linear for volume and tone but do wonder if I should use a lower value cap so it's not as dark when the tone backs off a bit.

Guessing there are markings on the pots themselves so a chap can tell one from another?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:Well, a quick visit to the SD website m'self and I'm all schooled-up on linear v audio taper. Have to say I think I'd want linear for volume and tone but do wonder if I should use a lower value cap so it's not as dark when the tone backs off a bit.

Guessing there are markings on the pots themselves so a chap can tell one from another?

Just hauling it straight off Google; I have both and it's the linear ones that don't work for me. Too on or off; not progressive.

"Very simply, with a linear taper, if you turn the pot halfway, the resistance measured on each side will be equal. With logarithmic (aka "audio") taper, that is not true; the resistance follows a logarithmic progression. Log taper is used because it gives a more natural progression when used for volume control."
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

50's wiring usually helps avoid the top end volume roll off not make it worse. The tone and volume pots are much more interactive though. Roll the tone back and the volume will drop off much quicker.

You want audio taper in 9 out of 10 cases.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Considering Gibson now uses PCB in their control cavities, you would think a DIP switch to change to 50s wiring would be the obvious thing for them to do. But no.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

I would give it a week with the 50s before you make a call on it. The volume and tone controls are not as intuitive as 60s wiring but I kinda like them.

I find that the slight treble roll off is great for taking a little edge off rather than just reducing the volume

If after a week you dont like it, I will flick you some treble bleeds. Switch it back to 60s wiring at the same time as the two dont really go together.

Changing cap type wont do didly squat, though changing the cap value will. You could try some 0.015uf but I would work out the above first as the type of wiring will have an effect.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Also, didnt you say its the best tone you have ever had?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:Also, didnt you say its the best tone you have ever had?
Cheers Mathew. Indeed I did but hoping to use the volume more to clean things up and just want to retain more treble in the process. Will take your advice and love with it a bit longer first. Cheers.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

lots of info on the Gibson website
Last edited by mrmofo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

The 50's seems like a much cooler option if you're into tonal shaping, unfortunately for me when I changed it I still ended up with everything on 11 still, I'm just that kinda guy :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.