Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Sliders Pickups

Post by Molly »

Like the look of these: http://sliderspickups.com/

Sent a wee enquiry and got a shitload of info by return. Might be a bit much for a post here, sorry. Anyway, just thought I'd give you chaps the link in case it's of interest. This is part of the reply:

At this stage the "website" is purely a landing page with some general info, just to have some presence on the web.

Also check out the latest, including sounds at https://www.facebook.com/sliders.pickups

I have included the basic info on my Strat offerings, at the end of the day all my sets are totally vintage correct and everything I make could have come from Fender "back in the day".
(by default my pickups not only sound but look like genuine vintage originals, unless a customer states “new” pickups will look like a genuine 50 year old set)

I am now also offering a slightly warmer/fatter Strat set, I call it my 60's set.
It has about a slight overwind compared to the 59/SRV so is more in line with the 62/63 vintage sets and is in AlNiCo 2 for smoother tops and fuller mids.
I originally did these for an artist friend to help carry thru his solo gigs where his guitar and voice is all that's up there, so we needed a full, warm and easily overdriven pickup set that could do everything at reasonable volumes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEdzdPksVAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s75NnfkEAjo

They are still a wonderful articulate pickup set with totally vintage voicings when required, here is the same set being used in a more melodic setting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5YobM-Ww44

Here's the basic blurb.....

All my pickups use vintage correct materials, “twineball” scatter winding, real Formvar or PE wire, Forban, compressed fiber bobbins, and cloth covered 22g “pushback” output wires.
My AlNiCo is produced via a special "grind and sort" process and hand charged to the exact power levels found on the best vintage originals, each set by me.

If you are tried of all the hype and just want a vintage correct Strat pickup, exactly like the best examples from the late 1950’s and early 1960’s then this is it…,
chime, shimmer, airy, clean note decay with warmth and power and not a hint of thin, icy or brassy tones.

When you hand “scatterwind” real vintage spec coil wire you can achieve greater tension within the coil, something a machine can’t do without constantly snapping the fine wire.
This tension and irregular layering pattern achieved only with hand layering or scatterwinding gives those classic vintage tones and allows maximum detail and articulation due
to a dense coil structure that requires minimum wax potting so there is always going to be those bell tones and airy clarity.

The 57's are a re-creation of the classic vintage spec, giving vintage chime, shimmer, bell tones and airy chord voicings.
They are all built to the averaged 1956/57 spec with resistances of aprox 5.70kOhms (a little warmer in the bridge) with a period correct North polarity.

The 59's are exact re-productions of Fender pickups produced from about 1959 until mid 1963.
Throughout this period Strat pickups were built from similar materials and to the same basic specification.
Observed variations with original sets was mainly due to the different batches of AlNiCo, Formvar wire and most importantly, the individual operator that actually hand built the particular set.
Magnetic polarity went to South and the averaged resistance was in the 5.90K to 6.35K area, you can safely refer to them all as, late 50's early 60's Strat "black bottom" pickups.

The “59/SRV” re-creations are the same period correct 1959 set but given selected power adjusted AlNiCo and special coil build to achieve that power and warm/bluesy tones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRI1sNoHTE
Forgetting the SRV name, these are a classic vintage correct and voiced pickup set, as were Stevie's, warm, sweet with max detail and ability to really drive that amp!

The 69's are an accurate re-creation of the late 60's CBS Fender pickups.

I have original spec Strat "grey bottom" Forban bobbins and the correct dark burgundy color, 42g PE wire for these '69 re-creation sets, that's code for a Hendrix set!
As you may know the real late 60’s strat sets are quite sort after, the big deal on these is the low inductance, and DC resistance, 69’s have some of the lowest of all the vintage strats
(aprox 5.6k - 5.7k resistance and 2.4 Henries, inductance across all 3 pickups). High resistance/inductance and poor quality wire and magnets kills off your top end treble response.
I scatterwind these with the correct, thin coated “single build” Plain Enamel (PE) wire.
The finished coil build is thinner in diameter and lower in “weight” to ensure the trebles are maintained, so on a good ‘69 you get the "glass-tone" highs and still have solid mid’s and the thumping bass.

Pickups as follows....

Strat 57/59/SRV or custom set of 3, to the following specifications

- Black vulcanized fiber "Forbon" bobbins
- AlNiCo 5 beveled poles, vintage stagger low B, high D/G
- 42g Formvar-H coil wire
- Pre build lacquered bobbins and post build wax potted
- 12" black = ground and 12" white = active (yellow for RW/RP) 22g cloth covered pushback output wires
- includes covers and 6-32 UNC adjusting screws with vintage amber rubber compression spacers
- Ink stamped bases (no wack labeling) for vintage authenticity

Strat 69 set of 3, to the following specifications

- Grey Bottom vulcanized fiber "forbon" bobbins
- AlNiCo 5 non bevelled poles, vintage stagger
- 42g PE coated coil wire
- Pre build lacquered bobbins and post build wax potted
- 12" black = ground and 12" white = active 22g cloth or Belden PVC output wires
- Includes Modern Style pickup covers, 6-32 UNC screws with rubber period correct spacers
- 17 Aug ‘69 base dating (Jimis' Woodstock performance) or custom dating for added MoJo also available

All sets come fitted in " New or Aged" pickup covers, 6-32 UNC screws with amber rubber spacers (in your colour choice, see labelled photo)

All Strat sets, as detailed $325US per set

Shipping options, just what it costs me...
International Shipping (10-14 Days, online tracking, worldwide) $25US
Express International, ( 2-4 days, full tracking, email updates to worldwide) $55US

Build time is currently running at aprox 18 days from payment to shipping.

For simplicity and safety on all international orders I like to use paypal...
I mark as "used guitar parts" to simplify any customs or duty issues at your end!

Regards
Rod
aka Slider

Additional info at;
http://sliderspickups.com/
https://www.facebook.com/sliders.pickups

Some FYI on AlNiCo and RW/RP
A2, A3 V’s A5

As you most likely know the old AlNiCo wasn't as well controlled or potentially strong as the modern AlNiCo blends, For example the current A5 is way stronger than ANY AlNiCo produced in the 50's/60's .

In 25 words or less, the strings vibrate in the little magnetic “flux” pools above the poles, it is this disturbance within the magnetic field that creates the signals that are transferred via the pickups coil that re-produce and shape the sound.

Single coils like Strats have small, well defined magnetic flux pools above each pole piece. These read a small segment of each string, giving a somewhat defined and clinical interpretation of what it is hearing, the classic Strat tone.
Humbuckers on the other hand have large, pad like, flux pools reading much bigger string areas, helping to give their associated fatter, less defined sound.

Stronger magnets make larger flux pools and allowing better definition, larger strings will create more disturbance and therefore more powerful signals.

Like everything more is not always better, too strong and you get overly harsh, brassy and icy tones, you can also start effecting the strings ability to continue to vibrate killing sustain and airiness.
Conversely if a pickup is using under powered magnets you can have very weak output, mushy and poorly defined character and those muffled "brown" tones.

After examining and rebuilding many vintage pickups, testing and customer feedback I have finally achieved what I consider a good reproduction of late 1950/60's Alnico.
By slightly degaussing or part charging the current AlNiCo 5 you get the best of those vintage tones, it's that "grey" area between the new mega A5 and the mystical vintage stuff, I call it Vintage Charged A5.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Sliders Pickups

Post by telefiend »

Impressive amount of detail! Seems to know his stuff.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

telefiend wrote:Impressive amount of detail! Seems to know his stuff.
And that wasn't the entire email!

Be keen to give them a go.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

$500 ish a set - but I guess actual vintage Fender pickups cost many times that. So reasonable if they're what they claim to be.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

telefiend wrote:$500 ish a set - but I guess actual vintage Fender pickups cost many times that. So reasonable if they're what they claim to be.
Yeah.... But not that much more than a CS or BK set.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

It's all just a couple of dollars of wire and magnets :moresarc:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

sizzlingbadger wrote:It's all just a couple of dollars of wire and magnets :moresarc:
and cork, got to have something to sniff ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:It's all just a couple of dollars of wire and magnets :moresarc:
and cork, got to have something to sniff ;)
But the tonez, man. The tonez!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Get in quick before the legal teams from fender and srv's estate see the specific mentions!
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...