Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Single Coil Sized Humbuckers

Post by Slowy »

IMG_0139.JPG
The white thing in the middle: Was going to install a spare set of humbuggies I have but making a new pickguard is a total PITA.
So, plan B is either stacks or rails. Not a subject I know well so advice please.

I'll give you some general guidelines so you have something to ignore:

PAF style seems to be about my limit. I use OD more than distortion though I wouldn't mind if this was my hottest guitar. No Doom, sludge or pissed off hornet buzz.

I have champagne tastes in pickups but I don't yet know if I even like this guitar, (think it has promise) so not too spendy.

What works well together? Am thinking of just using two and seeing how it goes.

Will the pots need to change to 500k?

And obviously, Watchagot?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Single Coil Sized Humbuckers

Post by AiRdAd »

I used to have three of them, would of been perfect. Unfortunately, I sold them. I'm not really a fan of them, but I've got taste buds up my ass. I kind of think a single coil sized one doesn't sound as good as a proper sized humbucker. How about a set that is different to What you've got, but doesn't get into the humbucker and p90 territory of your other guitars.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I fitted a cool rails bridge in my black strat a while back and was seriously happy with it. Won't break your bank at 120 bucks ish either, was very impressed!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Sorry, subject probably already been covered, but for a pickguard, is this what you'd need?

http://www.originalscratchplates.com/product/prs_se_eg/

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

JHorner wrote:Sorry, subject probably already been covered, but for a pickguard, is this what you'd need?

http://www.originalscratchplates.com/product/prs_se_eg/
Thanks, haven't seen that one. But still, $80+ shipping for a piece of plastic sheet really rips my Scottish undies. Better than the Yanks though; Chandler thought $127 was a fantastic deal. (For them, it was.)

At least with a pickup you have something to sell.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote:I used to have three of them, would of been perfect. Unfortunately, I sold them. I'm not really a fan of them, but I've got taste buds up my ass. I kind of think a single coil sized one doesn't sound as good as a proper sized humbucker. How about a set that is different to What you've got, but doesn't get into the humbucker and p90 territory of your other guitars.
I have a CS54 neck pup that sounds seriously good, I put it in the white SE. It's heaps better than the Toneriders but it still has no magic. Maybe it's begging for Humbuckers, maybe it needs the finish removed, maybe the guitar just isn't great.
That said, it's likeable enough and there's some obvious things to fix so it's worth a bit of judicious spending.
Just not a $100 pickguard.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Slowy wrote: At least with a pickup you have something to sell.
Sterling is in the toilet, so not 80, but yeah you're right pickups could be sold far more easily.

https://reverb.com/item/6477208-seymour ... idge-white

edit: not a great price on that one

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Gfs make a whole fuckin range of strat sized rails and so on.
If you’re going to go that route, the coil split is a true split and always pick the lowest output one there is.

DiMarzio could spin your wheels, but the price goes up.

Duncans look great on paper, but not so much in the flesh (duckbucker, lil 59 etc), and even more spendy.

I have found rails (sc sized hbs) sound like mini hbs. You “lose” some low end.
I expect a rail in parallel rather than series would sound closer to a p90.
As documented in my thread (along with all the frustration in the world) that it just isn’t possible with some pickups, so if you want that capability, be sure to read the fine print :lol:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Black-Standard-P ... Ciid%253A1

That's a mental link from my phone but basically it's a hss guard for $8.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

what other guitars do you have with humbuckers in them at the moment?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

The 10k of those are just ridiculous.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

They're just artec hot rails in a different box. They're about $9 a piece on eBay. I have a set in my Tele and they're pretty good but not as far as a full size humbucker, maybe more like a p90.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote:what other guitars do you have with humbuckers in them at the moment?
Seth Lovers in the Aria 335, Antiquiities in the Explorer

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

NippleWrestler wrote:They're just artec hot rails in a different box. They're about $9 a piece on eBay. I have a set in my Tele and they're pretty good but not as far as a full size humbucker, maybe more like a p90.
Thanks. I have 2 kinds of Lollar taking care of my P90 requirements.
Think the white axe needs a bit more. It has a Mahogany body which doesn't provide the sparkle I think single coils need.