Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

LucyTheSpud
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Rattly truss

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Noticed a wicked overtone coming from my favourite guitar, very odd metallic noise coming from the neck. When i knock on the back of the neck, the truss rod rattles. Neck hasnt bowed out of shape, but im guessing if the rod is fucked it wont be too long.

Fuck.

Anyone know if this is fixable? Where/who? How pricey? Or do i need to shell out for a new neck? Its a rosewood board Mexi strat neck, nothing too flash. But its comfy as hell and i dont want to ruin my favourite guitar with a bad neck.

Alternatively, this is a good chance for me to get a neck i wanted for another build and put it on this guiitar...depends which is cheaper i guess?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Rattly truss

Post by willow13 »

try tightening it slightly and see if that stops it
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

willow13 wrote:try tightening it slightly and see if that stops it
Will try tomorrow when im back at my tools and will report back :thumbup:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I'd have said tighten it too. Once had this with an Ibanez RG neck. They replaced it without fuss. Try getting Fender to do that...

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Molly wrote:I'd have said tighten it too. Once had this with an Ibanez RG neck. They replaced it without fuss. Try getting Fender to do that...
I did already text the Fender rep. I do recall he told me ages ago that it was doable but a massive pain in the ass. Gotta send the old neck back to the states before they will replace it, and they wont sell replacements out to anywhere outside the US. Stupid.

Thank fuck its a bolt on, none of that G nonsense.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yep just tighten it enough to make contact, one way or another. Sorted.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

3/16” or 4mm hex... unless it’s 60s style heel adjust like me in which case you need a massive fuckoff Phillips :D

Post results
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I've had that happen. Very vague memory of it but the trussrod was loose and there was no way to screw it back in place. I think the solution was to put woodglue in the truss-rod cavity, This stopped the rattle by cushioning the trussrod. The glue was not strong enough to stop you from eventually turning the truss rod. But it was a long time ago, I can't even remember which instrument had that problem.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Get a big can of Gorilla expanding foam and squirt it down the cavity. Put the remainder up the tailpipe of someone you don't like.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Result!

Handed it to my boss, he knows more about this than me. He disappeared and tinkered with it. Turns out the truss rod was just loose, due to me liking a lot of relief in the neck. Quick tighten and some liitle adjustments and shes away.

Sad news, now the neck is a little too straight for my liking. Gonna have to get used to it.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Anyone told you you've got truss-ed issues mate ?

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

I bet it was Tammy who said that. Never trusted her. It was wasnt it?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

LucyTheSpud wrote:Result!

Handed it to my boss, he knows more about this than me. He disappeared and tinkered with it. Turns out the truss rod was just loose, due to me liking a lot of relief in the neck. Quick tighten and some liitle adjustments and shes away.

Sad news, now the neck is a little too straight for my liking. Gonna have to get used to it.
No reason why you should have to get used to it. Just loose enough not to rattle should see a bit more relief.

Is it a one-piece maple neck? Early examples didn't even have truss rods I guess because they're fuckers to move. I watched a guy in a guitar store once physically heave on a neck to force some relief into it (wouldn't recommend that). The first Strat I ever bought had been left for some time without strings and three weeks in a jig didn't sort it out. Seemed forever destined to be used for slide. I set the action way high to cure the buzzing, tuned it to a chord and traded it for an Ibanez Destroyer.