Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times

Pickup Install

Post by jaxman16 »

Hi all,

So I just bought some new pickups. They are a Lace Alumitone set (Bridge and Neck humbuckers).
I'm wanting to install these in my guitar, however I've never done this before and have little soldering experience. Would anyone be able to give me a hand with this, for say a box of beers?

Or, if you have any recommendations for a good/quick luthier in Auckland to take the guitar to that would be great also. I'm keen to get these installed this weekend or next, as I want to use the guitar for my band's first gig which is coming up in 2 weeks time (if this isn't possible it's not a big deal).

Cheers!
PS. The guitar is a HH configuration with 1 vol & 3-way switch. It did have a tone control but this broke, which doesn't really bother me as I never used it anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Pickup Install

Post by Bg »

Hey bud, if you can drop it off to me over in remmers I'll sort it for you, got time this weekend too :) . Couple of bottles of scrumpy is my current pickup installation fee lol
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

The Alumitones need 250k pots (as instructed on the manual) or they would be really, really bright. It pays to get these ready too.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton

Post by jaxman16 »

Bg wrote:Hey bud, if you can drop it off to me over in remmers I'll sort it for you, got time this weekend too :) . Couple of bottles of scrumpy is my current pickup installation fee lol
Thanks man, that's awesome!!
I'll be able to drop it off in remmers this weekend for sure

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton

Post by jaxman16 »

godgrinder wrote:The Alumitones need 250k pots (as instructed on the manual) or they would be really, really bright. It pays to get these ready too.
Thanks for that info man! Is a 250K pot the same as the ones you get with active pickups? I have a couple of those at home if so.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

jaxman16 wrote: Thanks for that info man! Is a 250K pot the same as the ones you get with active pickups? I have a couple of those at home if so.
Pots for active are 25k. 250k are for single coils usually, but the Alumitones are essentially noiseless SC in humbucker shape.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton

Post by jaxman16 »

godgrinder wrote:
jaxman16 wrote: Thanks for that info man! Is a 250K pot the same as the ones you get with active pickups? I have a couple of those at home if so.
Pots for active are 25k. 250k are for single coils usually, but the Alumitones are essentially noiseless SC in humbucker shape.
Hmm okay, thanks. I have no idea which pot is currently in my guitar to be honest.
Probably not the one I need