Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: PRS SE upgrades

Post by Sinbad343 »

StratMatt wrote:Not familiar with your model, but is it HH? You can't go wrong with some Seth Lovers or Dimarzio PAFs. Tuners are nice too, I put Gotohs on my SE Tremonti and it feels much nicer to tune.
Yep, it's HH - I've been looking at various pickups, might just have to pull the trigger and try something!

Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sinbad343 »

jeremyb wrote:What's wrong with it? That should be what you ask yourself, fix those things, but.... also consider the massive loss you take on upgraded guitars when you go to sell them :(
Well, nothing major really, but I'm just curious if I could get more out of it, if you know what I mean. Obviously I'm never going to get away from the fact it's an SE! I hear you on depreciation, but I have no intention of letting it go as it does have sentimental value rather than monetary

Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sinbad343 »

robnobcorncob wrote:Having worked on a bunch of these lately I'd suggest making sure the nut is cut correctly and not worrying about upgrading the tuners (especially if it's non-trem).

The stock SE pickups are fine but they are the same pickups (I believe) as you find in the stock S2 double humbucker models. At SE pricing I'm fine with them, they are decent, but at S2 pricing I'd expect something better. I recently worked on an S2 Mira which had the stock Korean pickups/pots/switch/loom which I changed to CTS/CRL and Seymour Duncan which improved it dramatically, but it also felt like it should have been that way all along.

YMMV.
That's a good point regarding the nut, I'll look at that that. And I've been looking at upgrading the pots too as it would seem a fairly inexpensive thin to try to see if there are any improvements (don't like the taper on the volume anyway)

Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sinbad343 »

Slowy wrote:
Sinbad343 wrote:Hi all,

I've had my SE Custom Semi Hollow (hardtail, 2008) for quite a while now, and I love it. It's completely stock, but I reckon it's true potential could be realised with an upgrade or two. Question is, where do I start?

Obviously I don't want to spend crazy money, certainly not to the point where I may as well upgrade the entire guitar! But all suggestions and advice is welcome and much appreciated. Cheers!
So you think it has unrealised potential. In what way?
Answering this question should give you an idea of how to proceed.

FWIW, I have two SE's. They are both excellent guitars (now). Personally, I have not met an SE pickup I would want a relationship with, but that's just my preferences.
Well that's what I'd like to find out really, so some experimentation and see if it can be a better guitar than it is stock. I've never really done any upgrades on any guitar, so it's partly the tinkering bug I need to sate! I love the feel and weight of the guitar, so it's more of a tone thing I suppose. And I just wanted see what you fellas had done and what worked/didn't work for you, so once again thanks for the helpful info :thumbup:

Sinbad343
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sinbad343 »

willow13 wrote:
Sinbad343 wrote:That is true sadly! Maybe I need to join a union... Anyway, thanks again for all the advice (I think?!)
f#*k unions .. deal directly with the boss :thumbup:
I'm actually due a pay review this month, so I will :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Sinbad343 wrote:
willow13 wrote:
Sinbad343 wrote:That is true sadly! Maybe I need to join a union... Anyway, thanks again for all the advice (I think?!)
He's only saying that because he's the boss and he only has to deal with himself :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:
He's only saying that because he's the boss and he only has to deal with himself :rofl:
not true at all..fuck unions.

One of the places I worked years ago I was in the union (engineers union I think) and a collective employment contract was in place. We had a series of meetings around pay and I asked the union rep a few questions that he said he would take to the "boss" and let me know what they had to say at the next meeting. Next meeting rolled around and as you would guess it became very clear that the guy had not raised any of the questions I had despite telling me he did, basically laying to my face about it. I went and had a chat to the boss about the concerns I had and then asked him if the union guy had brought them up to which he said no. I went to the union guy and told him to stick his union and that I looked at the union fees I would now not have to pay as the extra money I would have been able to get if I was able to deal directly with the boss...the little pommy git got all red faced and aggressive saying things like "we need to stick together" etc to which I told him I won't give my money to dickheads who don't do there job......I got a promotion about 3 weeks later
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:
Sinbad343 wrote:
willow13 wrote:
my boss is a really good quim to :mrgreen:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

willow13 wrote:my boss is a really good quim to :mrgreen:
Can confirm :thumbup:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.