Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Narrow nut string spread solution

Post by GrantB »

I've mentioned it before so I thought I'd take a quick shot and show what I mean. This is a 66/67 ES-335. Narrow nut. The guitar sounds great but I wanted a bit more room to move at the head stock end.

Using my technique below I have the nut string spread at 36mm centre to centre E strings. My R9 is 36.5mm. I have no falling off the ends of the frets or the like. It feels great to play and I have used a tall-ish wire (StewMac 100/50).

1. Prep the fret board properly. Because we want to use as much width as we can you'll want to level out the nibs of any are left.
2. Do your standard fret slot clean and prep work.
3. Do a standard fret over binding (undercut) refret.
4. Cut the ends off the frets but do not angle inwards....just go flush.
5. Carefully with your single cut file level the edges almost vertically at the bottom end and eventually angle the file up as you head towards the pickup end of things.
6. You should end up with only a slightly angled end for the first 5-7 frets. Because some binding is very worn, this can be challenging. I would do each fret end piece by peice if that was the case. This guitar didn't have too much wear so it was relatively easy.

Hopefully this all makes sense...to me it's a great way to enjoy these later 60's ES's and SG's. I do recommend using string size 10 and up for this sort of set up...keeps things a bit tighter.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Narrow nut string spread solution

Post by codedog »

Wow... those E strings sure live right on the edge! With my sloppy playing I imagine they'll be going over the edge all the time, mostly just me pushing the low E over. Did you have to change your playing style, or improve discipline, for this?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

It's pretty close to normal in terms of fret left under the string...maybe I'll take a photo over each E string to show you. That last shot gives you an idea of how much is there.

I am a measured player, that's true. I don't bend any of the strings out of their path and over fret ends on any of my guitars. Even when going hard. And that's why I suggest 10 guage or higher on this sort of setup. It does minimise the chance of pushing the strings around too much...unless you want to bend.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I love this sort of care and attention.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Would enjoy your hands working on my nuts.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote:Would enjoy your hands working on my nuts.
I'll send you my price list. "No gloves" is extra.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Would enjoy your hands working on my nuts.
I'll send you my price list. "No gloves" is extra.
I don't think thats legal, let alone the health implications.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

But he has a latex allergy...
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Only to the latex outfits jb wears.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

I'd be interested in how I'd get on with the solution. I have an old Charvel made before they figured out they needed to make the fretboard wider for Floyd Rose guitars and I have to be very careful to not push the E strings off the fretboard. I'm hardly a heavy player either.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Danger Mouse wrote:I'd be interested in how I'd get on with the solution. I have an old Charvel made before they figured out they needed to make the fretboard wider for Floyd Rose guitars and I have to be very careful to not push the E strings off the fretboard. I'm hardly a heavy player either.
What's the fret gring angle like on the side? Often older Gibson are at 45°, mine are more like 10-15° from centre. That's the key.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

GrantB wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:I'd be interested in how I'd get on with the solution. I have an old Charvel made before they figured out they needed to make the fretboard wider for Floyd Rose guitars and I have to be very careful to not push the E strings off the fretboard. I'm hardly a heavy player either.
What's the fret gring angle like on the side? Often older Gibson are at 45°, mine are more like 10-15° from centre. That's the key.
Ah I hadn't thought about that, I'll go have a look later tonight (it's down in my garage).

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Thats really quite an elegant solution :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Gring

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Cool so this guitar did have nibs once?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.