Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Narrow nut string spread solution

Post by GrantB »

Last time I looked with a view to buy on eBay, ‘66 335’s were in the $7-8K range....a wide nut ‘65 was twice the price. It’s a good compromise. If I can get to the OrkFest I’ll bring it. And some spice grinding jars and attachments.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote:Last time I looked with a view to buy on eBay, ‘66 335’s were in the $7-8K range....a wide nut ‘65 was twice the price. It’s a good compromise. If I can get to the OrkFest I’ll bring it. And some spice grinding jars and attachments.
you have to come, I need to grind some spices in the evening!!!!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote: I need to grind some spices in the evening!!!!
That’s my new code to the wife for being left alone in the office with the door closed.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote:
Bg wrote: I need to grind some spices in the evening!!!!
That’s my new code to the wife for being left alone in the office with the door closed.
I already have a spice grinder, but its older now and doesn't grind like it should... I'm hoping the new attachment will be much better at it. cor-blimey, butler....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote:Cool so this guitar did have nibs once?
They all do, to varying degrees. Not now. But in this era there were nearly nonexistent anyway, from new.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Would enjoy your hands working on my nuts.
I'll send you my price list. "No gloves" is extra.
Touche! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

GrantB wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:I'd be interested in how I'd get on with the solution. I have an old Charvel made before they figured out they needed to make the fretboard wider for Floyd Rose guitars and I have to be very careful to not push the E strings off the fretboard. I'm hardly a heavy player either.
What's the fret gring angle like on the side? Often older Gibson are at 45°, mine are more like 10-15° from centre. That's the key.
Sorry to dredge this up - I forgot I wanted to come back to read it.

So how common is making the fret end angle near vertical? Is that a traditional way or something you've adapted just to get a bit more width from the board? And did you say that angle increases along the board towards the bridge?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Lostininverness wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:I'd be interested in how I'd get on with the solution. I have an old Charvel made before they figured out they needed to make the fretboard wider for Floyd Rose guitars and I have to be very careful to not push the E strings off the fretboard. I'm hardly a heavy player either.
What's the fret gring angle like on the side? Often older Gibson are at 45°, mine are more like 10-15° from centre. That's the key.
Sorry to dredge this up - I forgot I wanted to come back to read it.

So how common is making the fret end angle near vertical? Is that a traditional way or something you've adapted just to get a bit more width from the board? And did you say that angle increases along the board towards the bridge?
Probably not common...I've never seen it.

Yes, near vertical at the end, and then progressively back to the correct angle by fret 7.

The bridge determines the width at that end, and a wider nut the other end. Both have a big impact on feel.