Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Best Strat wiring scheme

Post by slash-ed »

I've got a custom-build Strat on the way, and am trying to finalise what wiring scheme to use.

Having traditionally not been much of a Strat guy, I've decided to make this one SSS just to actually experience having a good traditional sounding Strat for once (though it'll be routed for HSS as a contingency :lol:).

So... Strat people, what customisation/changes have you made to the control schemes for your guitar over the years?

I've initially asked for the "neck pickup activate" push/pull to get some bridge + neck Tele-ish sounds.

But also considering the Dan Armstrong blend mod which gives access to series/parallel and also out of phase sounds: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lWF1L7GBYfU/maxresdefault.jpg

And - tone knob on the bridge pickup? Delete the volume knob closest to the bridge so your hand doesn't knock it down every 5 mins?

Keen to hear everyone's experiences.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: Best Strat wiring scheme

Post by Candeevr4 »

Im going HH on my strat with deleting the volume and just running a single volume and tone. Ill probably graduate to a push pull/switch setup for coil splitting.

Atm with SSS have a push pull on the first tone to add the bridge pickup for the same that you want. SC did the wiring so he can tell you how he did that.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

My last mexi strat had SSH. I got my tech to change the bottom tone pot to a blend pot and make the middle tone a master tone. Was an excellent mod. It allowed me to dial in 'fatness' or remove it from whatever pickup was selected. So the blend was essentially between the bridge and neck pup. To bad I dont really like strats anymore cause that was a versatile a.f guitar with that mod.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

you guys should really stop talking about strats.
with all the train spotting regarding les pals, smelly old fender amps and such. think about it this way.
its only really a strat when its routed SSS and has a single volume, neck tone, middle tone.
jury is out on 5 way verses three way switch.
thats how you get strat sounds, once its routed differently or wired differently it is no longer a Strat. and, it doesn't sound like a strat.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

mrmofo wrote:you guys should really stop talking about strats.
with all the train spotting regarding les pals, smelly old fender amps and such. think about it this way.
its only really a strat when its routed SSS and has a single volume, neck tone, middle tone.
jury is out on 5 way verses three way switch.
thats how you get strat sounds, once its routed differently or wired differently it is no longer a Strat. and, it doesn't sound like a strat.
Classic useful contribution

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

many thanks.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

none taken

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

With mine I'm totally happy with the Vol, first tone for neck and middle with the second tone connected to the bridge. I roll the bridge down to about 7 and leave it there.

If I had to have one more option it would be a push/push on one of the pots to have the bridge and neck together ala telecaster with the bridge tone on full regardless where the tone control is set.
Loving it so far

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

slash-ed wrote:I've initially asked for the "neck pickup activate" push/pull to get some bridge + neck Tele-ish sounds.

And - tone knob on the bridge pickup? Delete the volume knob closest to the bridge so your hand doesn't knock it down every 5 mins?
Yes and yes. Look at the Tom Anderson volume position - just that bit further away from being a nuisance.

Also, blue sounds best! (but everyone knows that already)

GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

The Anderson also puts the jack on the side. I'm not bothered either way on that.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

slash-ed wrote:I've got a custom-build Strat on the way, and am trying to finalise what wiring scheme to use.

Having traditionally not been much of a Strat guy, I've decided to make this one SSS just to actually experience having a good traditional sounding Strat for once (though it'll be routed for HSS as a contingency :lol:).

So... Strat people, what customisation/changes have you made to the control schemes for your guitar over the years?

I've initially asked for the "neck pickup activate" push/pull to get some bridge + neck Tele-ish sounds.

But also considering the Dan Armstrong blend mod which gives access to series/parallel and also out of phase sounds: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lWF1L7GBYfU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you are keen to explore ALL the alternatives, you might want to consider ordering one of these harnesses...

http://www.toneshapers.com/toneshaper-p ... _SrIZMzZBw

I have one, and it allows endless experimentation (dithering) to find the overall best wiring options--it pretty much does them all. You can also play with different tone capacitors via the same rig.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Having traditionally not been much of a Strat guy, I've decided to make this one SSS just to actually experience having a good traditional sounding Strat for once

this
if you want something else sure, build something else but a strat is a strat

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Have a look at the stuff Mat at Tone Lounge is doing too: https://tonelounge.co.nz/guitar-wiring-harness/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
slash-ed wrote:I've got a custom-build Strat on the way, and am trying to finalise what wiring scheme to use.

If you are keen to explore ALL the alternatives, you might want to consider ordering one of these harnesses...

http://www.toneshapers.com/toneshaper-p ... _SrIZMzZBw

I have one, and it allows endless experimentation (dithering) to find the overall best wiring options--it pretty much does them all. You can also play with different tone capacitors via the same rig.
Wowsers. Okay that's probably a step too far haha.

I think what I'm really looking for is straight Strat tone, plus ONE useful mod (be it neck + bridge, or series/parallel blend) that will help give the guitar some extra tonal versatility.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

slash-ed wrote:
Wowsers. Okay that's probably a step too far haha.

I think what I'm really looking for is straight Strat tone, plus ONE useful mod (be it neck + bridge, or series/parallel blend) that will help give the guitar some extra tonal versatility.
The nice thing about that harness is it still leaves the control layout unchanged, no extra switches, and no soldering, but you can try out all the mods you have ever heard of just by changing those dip switches. But if I had to choose only 1 mod, it would be a humbucker in the bridge :sarc: Lol, just kidding...it would be a series blend option.