Anybody got a really nice set of Strat Pups for sale?

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Anybody got a really nice set of Strat Pups for sale?

Post by willow13 »

Slowy wrote:
codedog wrote:I will have a set from Player Series MIM available soon-ish. Would that be of interest?
I have to admit to being something of a tone snob..... :oops:
so by tone snob you mean brand snob? .... not to sound like a quim but thats what all the guys who I see on american websites are. They love all these old tones that 90% of came from ratty old marshalls cranked to shit and they turn around and buy "boutique" gear because it helps get them that tone for 100x the price :rofl:

sorry ignore me, I am more just venting towards them and the internet in general :rofl: :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

willow13 wrote:
Slowy wrote:
codedog wrote:I will have a set from Player Series MIM available soon-ish. Would that be of interest?
I have to admit to being something of a tone snob..... :oops:
so by tone snob you mean brand snob? .... not to sound like a quim but thats what all the guys who I see on american websites are. They love all these old tones that 90% of came from ratty old marshalls cranked to shit and they turn around and buy "boutique" gear because it helps get them that tone for 100x the price :rofl:

sorry ignore me, I am more just venting towards them and the internet in general :rofl: :rofl:
Go for it Mate! :lol:
No, not a brand snob. I have opinionated ears. They know what they want to hear. I don't give a damn where it comes from as long as my ears are happy. That said, I've not had much luck making my ears happy with cheapo pickups. My guitars have either DiMarzio Virtual Vintage, Duesenberg or various flavours of Lollar. I actually think you'd like my G&L's, but they're not me.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

What I should do is get off my ass and install the Toneriders; just to see what changes.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

G&L do their EQ differently to Fender. Rather than 2 tone controls, assigned where you choose, they have a global treble roll off and a bass roll off.

It was strange to begin with but now I'm used to it, it's brilliant. Use the amp's midrange to control overall gain and voice it with subtle but distinct tweaks on the guitar's bass & treble.

I'm surprised it isn't more popular. I'm sold.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Slowy wrote:G&L do their EQ differently to Fender. Rather than 2 tone controls, assigned where you choose, they have a global treble roll off and a bass roll off.

It was strange to begin with but now I'm used to it, it's brilliant. Use the amp's midrange to control overall gain and voice it with subtle but distinct tweaks on the guitar's bass & treble.

I'm surprised it isn't more popular. I'm sold.
I just wired my 335 copy this way, Master bass and master treble roll off. I find it way more useful than 2 tone controls! Although I reckon it does change the feel more than a standard tone control for some reason, maybe it loads the pickups in a different way? Either way I prefer it for versatility.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Just had a fine lesson in proper matching of gear:

Took the G&L to the local Rockshop because one of the guys there had asked to see it. He plugged into an Orange Rockerverb 50 and what came out the speaker was tone heaven. I swear that guitar and amp were made for each other.

EL34s and Greenback vs EL84s and Blue. And I'm complaining about spiky treble........

So he big question for Sunday is, do I replace the pickups or buy an Orange amp? :think:
:roll:

Actually I have a 6L6 and G12H in the band room that I've never put the G&L through.
I'll start there :D

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Buy the amp.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote:Buy the amp.
Thanks Mate, knew I could count on you.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Slowy wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:Buy the amp.
Thanks Mate, knew I could count on you.
You could change the pick ups and that would be fine but buying the amp means more stuff in a volumetric sense. Always go with more stuff. It's more than less stuff.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

And you know its gonna sound good with the Orange. Job jobbed.
Loving it so far

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Hey Slowly what you doing with the old G&L pickups? I assume they are out of a G&L start?
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bobiron wrote:Hey Slowly what you doing with the old G&L pickups? I assume they are out of a G&L start?
Bob! How are you mate?
They're still in the guitar, probably will be for a while but if you're keen when I'm done, you have dibs.
You should pop over and see if you like them.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Hey that sounds great, will be in contact.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Slowy wrote:
bobiron wrote:Hey Slowly what you doing with the old G&L pickups? I assume they are out of a G&L start?
Bob! How are you mate?
They're still in the guitar, probably will be for a while but if you're keen when I'm done, you have dibs.
You should pop over and see if you like them.
Ha! I'm a quote! My work here is done!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote: Ha! I'm a quote! My work here is done!
It was deserving of credit 8)