jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by jimi »

KNNZ wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:36 pm the one on bookface recently looks nice!
Squier Classic Vibe 60's in seafoam green $850
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... attachment

I have a Squier classic vibe JM and its pretty cool.

Looks the part, plays well, the trem does some fun things. Pick ups are reasonable. Wasn't cheap, not even for a Squier (in fact I was a bit amazed they are making/selling Squiers that expensive), but also got me a cool looking JM for not paying Fender JM $$.

No lock on the trem, and the usual Squier thick poly finish are the downsides.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

KNNZ wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:36 pm the one on bookface recently looks nice!
Squier Classic Vibe 60's in seafoam green $850
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... attachment
It does
I really have no experience with squiers so I just can’t comment
Interweb has kind things to say

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

No lock on the trem is fine, but I’d want to feel the spring in those squiers. Even the MIJ ones benefit from an upgrade. And the guage steel in the plate is town flimsy in comparison to the American iterations. Probably minimal issue for most players but when you’re refining your gear totally towards surf sound then it starts to matter more

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Heres mine - Squier classic vibe 70s jazzmaster
CVJM2022.jpg
CVJM2022.jpg (732.09 KiB) Viewed 47046 times

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Unfortunately, over the years, I have learned that buying cheap guitars tend to lead to losing money on my way up to better models. Sure, there were times I stopped before too far. I am perfectly content with my Player series strat with the body and pickguard being the only original bits. Not willing to take that gamble on a sizzling hot offset market at the moment.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

codedog wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:39 pm Unfortunately, over the years, I have learned that buying cheap guitars tend to lead to losing money on my way up to better models. Sure, there were times I stopped before too far. I am perfectly content with my Player series strat with the body and pickguard being the only original bits. Not willing to take that gamble on a sizzling hot offset market at the moment.
I think an ishibashi offering for a used MIJ is a good call and you’re not likely to take a bath if you on sell it. Infact I’d be surprised if you didn’t make on it. And in reality you won’t be spending much more than you would on a new squier
I keep looking at that CAR jag….

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:46 pm
codedog wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:39 pm Unfortunately, over the years, I have learned that buying cheap guitars tend to lead to losing money on my way up to better models. Sure, there were times I stopped before too far. I am perfectly content with my Player series strat with the body and pickguard being the only original bits. Not willing to take that gamble on a sizzling hot offset market at the moment.
I think an ishibashi offering for a used MIJ is a good call and you’re not likely to take a bath if you on sell it. Infact I’d be surprised if you didn’t make on it. And in reality you won’t be spending much more than you would on a new squier
You're probably right.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I'll stop now though, lest I bring back everyone's traumatic memories of a certain former forumite.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

MIJ Offset in my suitcase me thinks, so.... I find strats pretty much perfect for me, the jags and jazzies look quite huge, would a mustang be a better fit? or should I just man up!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

Mustang is actually a bit longer overall than a Strat, despite being a shorter scale length, though probably a little narrower overall.

I’ve never really understood those who say a Mustang feels small, but then I’m a slim tall boy, not a beefcake.
Last edited by Starfire on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

I totally get this. The journey for my 335 went through 4 other 335esque guitars, and lost money on most of them before I got the guitar I wanted, and none of those were ever going to measure up.

But then you probably already have a couple of nice guitars and this isnt going to replace one of them, so really its about getting a feel for whether this is something you need to have. If you grab the cheap squier 2nd hand, you're not going to lose much on resale, give it a lash, work out if an offset is for you.
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:46 pm I think an ishibashi offering for a used MIJ is a good call and you’re not likely to take a bath if you on sell it. Infact I’d be surprised if you didn’t make on it. And in reality you won’t be spending much more than you would on a new squier
Absolutely this - I imported my 1st Jag - CIJ, candy apple red, matching headstock - best looking guitar I have owned, but sadly not great to play. Eventually flicked it, and made a good margin on what it cost to bring in.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 pm MIJ Offset in my suitcase me thinks, so.... I find strats pretty much perfect for me, the jags and jazzies look quite huge, would a mustang be a better fit? or should I just man up!
That's right... you're off to Japan next year, aren't you? Or was that sty? Would be a great chance to buy a Fender over there, it seems! That CAR Jag or 3 tone burst JM looked superb.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:13 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 pm MIJ Offset in my suitcase me thinks, so.... I find strats pretty much perfect for me, the jags and jazzies look quite huge, would a mustang be a better fit? or should I just man up!
That's right... you're off to Japan next year, aren't you? Or was that sty? Would be a great chance to buy a Fender over there, it seems! That CAR Jag or 3 tone burst JM looked superb.
Off mid April, can't wait!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

codedog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:29 pm Been thinking heaps about offsets recently. Checked out some Squier options... ouch! They're not as cheap as last time I looked.
How does this sound: (Quote about a certain offset)
playability is ubercool, the neck is a little more thick than av65 (1 mm more or less), the sound is more jazzmaster than jag but different (hard to describe, clearer and grittier too), the comfort is a pleasure, the trem is better than fender trem
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 520 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by mule »

Starfire wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:11 pm Mustang is actually a bit longer overall than a Strat, despite being a shorter scale length, though probably a little narrower overall.

I’ve never really understood those who say a Mustang feels small, but then I’m a slim tall boy, not a beefcake.
That picture is doing my head in. I've always thought of Mustangs as being tiny. I guess it's just that I always compare them in my head to the JM/Jag body.