FloydFan85
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wiring replacement

Post by FloydFan85 »

Hi, I'm looking for advice on a wiring issue in my Gretsch Electromatic G5220. It has an annoying buzz when I'm not touching any metal parts. My strat doesn't have the same problem when it's plugged into the same amp with the same cable so I assume it's the guitar's wiring. I'm not very technically minded but I assume it's something to do with grounding or shielding. Does anyone know what would be a good replacement for the wiring? It has a Master Vol, two individual pickup volumes and a Master Tone. I can't find a similar kit online locally.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Re: Wiring replacement

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Mine did that too, and it was a very simple fix. There was a wire on the master volume pot in the wrong place. It seems to be a reasonably common issue.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

FloydFan85
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by FloydFan85 »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:39 pm Mine did that too, and it was a very simple fix. There was a wire on the master volume pot in the wrong place. It seems to be a reasonably common issue.
Did you fix it yourself or take it somewhere? I don't think I'm up to soldering. Is there anyone cheap and reliable in Auckland who could fix it?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I did it myself, any tech could manage it I expect. The schematics are on the Gretsch website for reference. I can't recall exactly but all I had to do was move one wire from one tag on the pot to the one next to it to make it was at ground with the volume at zero. Mine would hum more as you turned the master vol down.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...