Has anyone tried graphtech ratio tuners?

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Re: Has anyone tried graphtech ratio tuners?

Post by olegmcnoleg »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:47 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:00 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:14 pm

Thats wild, I have seen tuners with a lever on them to drop tuning quickly!
Yes, that's right. The D-tuna does that. I've thought about swapping out my tuners for some... I think I'd need all six of them:
Bottom E to D
A to G
G to F#
D to C
B to A
E to D
buy a gibson e-tune - it can change to any tuning within 10 seconds with one or two strums.
Don't think this would fit my acoustic, but I do think it is a valid option. Line-6 also provide alternative tuning options on some of their guitars--which is instant. So that's an option also, but it only works if you are playing through a sound system that drowns out the actual sound of the guitar.

Adrian Legg retunes in < 1 second without stopping the piece he is playing, the note slides are part of the composition. It would be challenging to build auto-tuning technology that quick and precise--

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

buy a gibson e-tune - it can change to any tuning within 10 seconds with one or two strums.
I like the theory of being able to push a button and instantly have a different tuning, but did it actually work? The internet chatter says no.

Even if auto-tuning worked perfectly, I would just go getting all fussy wanting to adjust the neck relief and the bridge height to account for the different string tensions of a different tunings.

I end up with different guitars set up for different tunings, which ain't much, e.g., E Standard, Eb Standard, and sometimes dropping the lower E string a pitch. In almost 4 decades I have only tuned to DADGAD once. - Yes, to learn Kashmir and once I did I never played it again.

I quite like those apps that play the notes out loud, so I tune by ear instead of with my eyes. It seems to help me get my ears in tune too.

P.S. Apart from how you wind the strings on, what makes for a really stable non-locking tuner anyway? (the design and engineering of them I mean)

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:50 pm
I like the theory of being able to push a button and instantly have a different tuning, but did it actually work? The internet chatter says no.

Even if auto-tuning worked perfectly, I would just go getting all fussy wanting to adjust the neck relief and the bridge height to account for the different string tensions of a different tunings.

I end up with different guitars set up for different tunings, which ain't much, e.g., E Standard, Eb Standard, and sometimes dropping the lower E string a pitch. In almost 4 decades I have only tuned to DADGAD once. - Yes, to learn Kashmir and once I did I never played it again.

I quite like those apps that play the notes out loud, so I tune by ear instead of with my eyes. It seems to help me get my ears in tune too.

P.S. Apart from how you wind the strings on, what makes for a really stable non-locking tuner anyway? (the design and engineering of them I mean)
I think we are too fussy. I say that as I replace my perfectly good tuners with an expensive set with a higher gear ratio...

To be honest with you, I think just about any reputable brand of tuner will do their job just fine. Adrian always rated gotohs from a design perspective. I've never had an issue with a Gotoh set ever.

Repair_Rob
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Repair_Rob »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:40 pm
Adrian Legg retunes in < 1 second without stopping the piece he is playing, the note slides are part of the composition. It would be challenging to build auto-tuning technology that quick and precise--
Legg isn't retuning as such, he is switching between a preset note (just like a D-tuner). He uses Keith banjo tuners.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... uners.html

https://www.beaconbanjo.com/product/sta ... or-guitar/

Jon Gomm has also used them, and they were a feature on his Lowden signature model before he switched to Ibanez.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Repair_Rob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:14 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:40 pm
Legg isn't retuning as such, he is switching between a preset note (just like a D-tuner). He uses Keith banjo tuners.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... uners.html

https://www.beaconbanjo.com/product/sta ... or-guitar/

Jon Gomm has also used them, and they were a feature on his Lowden signature model before he switched to Ibanez.
Wow, I did not know such a thing existed. That explains a lot. His tuners did look like that too. Thanks :-)