Has anyone tried graphtech ratio tuners?

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Has anyone tried graphtech ratio tuners?

Post by Zaulkin »

Hi guys,

When I play acoustic I use lots of different tunings. I'm pretty sure my tuners have a ratio of 16:1, and the guitar is very fiddly to get in the right tuning. Everything else - nut etc is good.

1. Will 18:1 tuners give a noticeable difference?
2. Has anyone tried graphtech "ratio" tuners? They supposedly have an even ratio calibrated for each string. But damn they are expensive.

From Low E to High E 39:1, 24:1, 20:1, 14:1, 20:1, 12:1.

Sounds like something that would be good for me. Anyone tried them?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Re: Has anyone tried graphtech ratio tuners?

Post by MikeC »

I've got the Graphtec Ratio tuners on my Tele. They aren't light weights but they work fantastic. I use standard tuning.
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

I chucked them on a 5-string bass. Worked well enough. I liked the difference.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

It seems that greenfield - who makes high end acoustics for the alternate tuning players I like, use gotoh 21:1 ratio tuners.

They seem to be cheaper than the graphtechs and because everything else I use is gotoh, I might stick with them.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

I picked up some gotoh 21:1 tuners for my acoustic. Got them on last night - just what I was after. Easier to fine tune for my weird tunings. Happy!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Have you heard Adrian Legg play? He has tuners that let him move between tunings at the flick of a wrist...which he does mid-song across multiple strings. I thought he used something like a D-tuna, but then I saw him live. He just turns his insanely high ratio tuners very quickly and very accurately. Amazing.

I find the biggest problem with changing tunings is that the overall pressure on the neck changes and it takes it a minute or two to settle on some guitars. On my Lowden the neck never budges, so it is a lot easier to retune quickly.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:33 am Have you heard Adrian Legg play? He has tuners that let him move between tunings at the flick of a wrist...which he does mid-song across multiple strings. I thought he used something like a D-tuna, but then I saw him live. He just turns his insanely high ratio tuners very quickly and very accurately. Amazing.

I find the biggest problem with changing tunings is that the overall pressure on the neck changes and it takes it a minute or two to settle on some guitars. On my Lowden the neck never budges, so it is a lot easier to retune quickly.
Thats wild, I have seen tuners with a lever on them to drop tuning quickly!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:14 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:33 am Have you heard Adrian Legg play? He has tuners that let him move between tunings at the flick of a wrist...which he does mid-song across multiple strings. I thought he used something like a D-tuna, but then I saw him live. He just turns his insanely high ratio tuners very quickly and very accurately. Amazing.

Yes, that's right. The D-tuna does that. I've thought about swapping out my tuners for some... I think I'd need all six of them:
Bottom E to D
A to G
G to F#
D to C
B to A
E to D

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

I've seen that sort of thing and it is quite cool.

Changing tunings doesn't seem to be too tricky for the neck on my guitar, I just make do I think.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I'm yet to find a solution that can take me from standard tuning to:
F
A
G
D
A
D
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:33 pm I'm yet to find a solution that can take me from standard tuning to:
F
A
G
D
A
D
You want to tune to this?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

MikeC wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:34 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:33 pm I'm yet to find a solution that can take me from standard tuning to:
F
A
G
D
A
D
You want to tune to this?
Whats wrong with it? I like the chord voicings.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Was it used for different voicings in the soundtrack of "Brokeback Mountain"?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:00 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:14 pm

Yes, that's right. The D-tuna does that. I've thought about swapping out my tuners for some... I think I'd need all six of them:
Bottom E to D
A to G
G to F#
D to C
B to A
E to D
buy a gibson e-tune - it can change to any tuning within 10 seconds with one or two strums.
Last edited by AiRdAd on Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

F
A
G
D
A
D
I instantly knew what it was as soon as I saw F , A...... before scrolling down.