Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Ash, was that a Rockson pedal?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

vacant wrote:Ive already fixed the battery terminal temporarily, just cant gig with it. I think the "muff diver" is quite an acquired taste, I find it a bit harsh and hard to stomach at times, and theres no way it can clean up.

Aye, dirty muffs are usually hard to stomach, but when they do clean up they make an excellent pie!

oo-er.

A muff and DS-1 are the only distortion pedals I have. I prefered the muff over the DS-1 but that dosen't mean it's a bad pedal. It's good for beginners. In the end however I put aside all pedals and went with rack gear, because it's so much better. Just ask thehenderson. :wink:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I won't lie, there's something inately appealing about having your rig looking like a telecommunications hubb

as long as I have my rack chorus I'll be just fine.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, seriously check these pedals out: http://amtelectronics.com/products/prod ... ducts.html

They have heaps of different ones, with many different sounds. Perhaps oddly (perhaps not) I prefer some of the non-tube ones over those with tubes in 'em, but there's such a range of different tones there will be something you like.

And of course, in closing: FATAL TUUUBE
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Tsuken wrote:Rat is excellent.

But ... Fatal Tube!!! Only available online (to us in NZ) afaik. Gelato found a site that sells them, and it'd be around $250 including shipping I think. Good sound clips of that and all their other pedals (the California Sound - mesa in a box, seriously - is also awesome), so bug Gelato to post the link, and check them out. You'd obviously have to wait for shipping, but much much much more betterer than a Boss or similar.
Here's a thread I prepared earlier about such pedals: http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5262 ;)
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

...and there ya go ;)

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Tsuken wrote:the California Sound - mesa in a box, seriously

Perhaps mesa sounds better in a box?

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Gelato wrote:
Tsuken wrote:Rat is excellent.

But ... Fatal Tube!!! Only available online (to us in NZ) afaik. Gelato found a site that sells them, and it'd be around $250 including shipping I think. Good sound clips of that and all their other pedals (the California Sound - mesa in a box, seriously - is also awesome), so bug Gelato to post the link, and check them out. You'd obviously have to wait for shipping, but much much much more betterer than a Boss or similar.
Here's a thread I prepared earlier about such pedals: http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5262 ;)
And if you read to the bottom you'll see why the thread died a horrible death :D
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

:lol: rotfl

For many years I thought Mesa were great - based on Carlos Santana's tone. For the same reason I thought PRS were great (though I still reckon he sounded better with his Yamaha SG2000 8) ). Then nu-metal geeks use the same guitar/amp (brand, at least) combination to kraft the most hideous fuzzy ill-defined shocker tones ever - and completely put me off Mesa (and PRS).

This pedal sounds to me like the good things about Mesas - lead tones very much like old John Petrucci - on Images and Words, particularly. Funnily enough, they play the start of a solo from that album for a sound clip for the pedal ;)

Here be bloggins

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I think it just goes to show that the same gear in different hands can do very different things...
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

A MK1 (santana) is very different to what most people would think of as the 'mesa' sound these days which would be the dual rec

I think people base their opinions on recordings of artists that 'use' mesa amps in many cases rather than on seeing people use them live or using one themselves

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

The Mk1 is a long way of modern dual Rec Mesa sounds. I don't think you could compare the two.

THere is a PRS single cut on TM I think I might buy. the top on it has me under it spell. :)

A bit like a DS1 and G2D. Same but different. :D

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

TMG 03 wrote:The Mk1 is a long way of modern dual Rec Mesa sounds. I don't think you could compare the two.

People do though, don't you think? Or rather, they just talk of a 'mesa' sound, which i always assume to be the dual rec sound

people seem to do a similar thing with marshall amps

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

thehenderson wrote:
TMG 03 wrote:The Mk1 is a long way of modern dual Rec Mesa sounds. I don't think you could compare the two.

People do though, don't you think? Or rather, they just talk of a 'mesa' sound, which i always assume to be the dual rec sound

people seem to do a similar thing with marshall amps
That's because everyone with a Marshall amp does the same thing. :)

Like drunken sex. If it feels so good, why stop?

:twisted:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

haha

it just pisses me off

the two marshalls I've had have been all about the power amp. But marshall make models like the 900 and 2000 series that are way more about the pre amp. Real different sound.