Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

obired
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Distortion pedals

Post by obired »

Ooh, my first ever pedal :)

I need to get a distortion pedal and I know nothing about pedals at all.
Something not too pricey would be nice, unless the extra is really going to be worth it in the long run.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!:)

stark
Squier

Re: Distortion pedals

Post by stark »

Diff pedals react differently with different guitars and amps, so whatever recommendations you get, you should try to check them out with your own guitar and amp if possible.
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

No much info there...

Post by IkeKrull »

What kind of music do you want to play?

distortion runs from heavy overdrive to ultra-gain scoop. (e.g. from heavy rock to death metal).

Also, depending on your views on modelling vs, digital vs analog vs tubes, various pedals will be either in or out.

Also, whats your budget. you can buy a pedal for $50, $500 or anything in between.

Personally, i'd say check out the boss pedals first - DS-2 Turbo Distortion (think nirvana) and MT-2 Metal Zone (think Metallica). These should make a reasonable benchmark from which to judge other pedals.

If you want variety, try the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory. If you want vintage cred, maybe try the MXR distortion or the proco RAT. If you are feeling rich, try the ToneBone tube-driven pedals.

Pretty soon, about 15 people are going to weigh in on why the only true distortion pedal is their personal favourite boutique unit, and that also if you want real distortion you shouldnt buy a pedal but instead spend $5000+ on a Mesa sextuple-rectifier or whatever.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Mesa sextuple-rec sucks!!! Get an octuple-rec!!! :twisted:

obired
Stagg
Stagg

Post by obired »

Cheers guys.

It'll be my squier strat for now, until my dot studio finally arrives in the country :roll:

Definately the rock end of the scale so I guess I'll use the DS-2 Turbo Distortion as a starting point.

Much obliged!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Proco Rat, DS-1 are probably my favourites....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

bluesgeek wrote:Proco Rat, DS-1 are probably my favourites....
Second that, although I much prefer the rat, sounds "nicer" to me in general and rolls off better. I just modded mine for less gain and more dynamics, I love it.

Ive owned a distortion+, found it similar to the ds1 but no tone control. They have tons of high end, you can adjust you amp to suit but if you turn the pedal off you are left with mud.

Perhaps one of those Boss OD20's could be good, emulations of all the classics......

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

The Marshall pedals (modern Jackhammer, older Shredmaster) aren't bad either.

I had a Jap DS1 a few years ago, wicked starting point. RATs are a bit better and smoother sounding IMO, but only the older ones.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I'm not pedal snob... I just don't care enough about them. But yesterday I tried what must be the worst pedal ever made. It was incredibly bad. Unusable.

Even my reject '70s Gunn Bass Octivider is more useful than the vile DS-30.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

yeah I prefer the Rat over the DS1, thats why its on my pedalboard. I've got a jackhammer which does od/distortion, more of a jackhammer of all trades - doesn't do either particularly well :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Trueman
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Trueman »

Just try a few pedals out at Rockshop to see what you like first. In the end its what you think sounds good. My first pedal was a Boss DS-1 from dollar dealers. :)
http://www.guitarpedals.co.nz
http://www.john-trueman.com Guitarist from Down Under

** Voodoo Labs, Xotic Effects, T-Rex Engineering, Lovepedal, Malekko, Pigtronix, George L's, Mi-Audio, Suhr, Lave Cable, ZVEX, RJM, LEHLE + **

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

here is a good cheap one to start you off.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 938169.htm

:)

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Rat is excellent.

But ... Fatal Tube!!! Only available online (to us in NZ) afaik. Gelato found a site that sells them, and it'd be around $250 including shipping I think. Good sound clips of that and all their other pedals (the California Sound - mesa in a box, seriously - is also awesome), so bug Gelato to post the link, and check them out. You'd obviously have to wait for shipping, but much much much more betterer than a Boss or similar.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

METALZONE!!! The best beginner's introduction to GAIN. ;)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Fatal Tube >> metalzone ;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins