Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

symphonist
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Basic Guitar Setup

Post by symphonist »

Hey guys.

I just got a guitar I bought delivered this morning, but I noticed something odd, the bridge, which is a lp style one, isn't well.... exactly horizontal to the guitar body. In other words, the bridge is lower on the bottom string end than it is on the top string end.

Apparently the guitar has been professionally set up, and seeing as im still new at this im not sure if this is how the bridge is supposed to be. There is still some fretbuzz on the top 2 strings, (E and A) even though the bridge is set fairly higher on that side than the bottom string's side. I have a set of 10s, ernie regular slinkys on, if that matters.

If the bridge is incorrectly set up I guess im gonna need to do it myself, but unfortunatly Ive never done this before. IF the intontation is okay, can I set the bridge without effecting it? Or will I have to set that aswell after any adjustments made to the bridge?

Thanks for the help.

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

It should be higher because the bottom strings (the thicker ones) are thicker. Just raise it a tiny bit until it stops buzzing
Live love leave eat sandwiches

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

OK I suggest first check if bolt neck, the bolts are nice and tight - suggest you loosen off the strings first. If OK now check the neck for straightness hold down thickest bass string on first and last fret and if there is any more than a 2mm or so gap in the middle (around frets 7-9) between the TOP of the fret and the string, then you may need the truss road adjusting. Do the same for the top string.

Next have a look at the head end of the guitar where the strings pass over a bit of plastic with grooves in it called a 'nut'. Check there is at least 1mm between the top of the first fret and the string.

If either of the above are a problem, then you probably need to take it into a shop for adjustment again.

If not, then slacken off all strings and give the treble side of the bridge a quarter turn of the thumbheel to rais it up. Tune up to pitch and see if the buzz goes. Repeat untill buzz goes or you've done it more than 12 times. if the buzz still will not go by 12th time, then it's shop time (you can have a high fret which buggers things up for the frets further down the line)

Hope that helps.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Just checking - to me, the top strings are the thinnest ones (I'm thinking tonally), but I have a suspicion that you refer to the top strings as the ones closest to the top of the guitar - ie - nearest your head (no, the bigger head) ??
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

It pains me to say, but Rog is right :?

;)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Basic Guitar Setup

Post by sopachrga »

BlanKzorness wrote: There is still some fretbuzz on the top 2 strings, (E and A)
Ummm....

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Basic Guitar Setup

Post by DarcyPerry »

BlanKzorness wrote:I have a set of 10s, ernie regular slinkys on, if that matters.
It does matter. Put some 11's on.

:lol:

Just kidding!
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Of course if you are really unlucky this is the dreaded 'one side s hump'. What happens you see is the wood on the bass side is slightly weak so that side forms a compression hump about the 7th fret while the treble side stays straight. In simple terms the neck appears to have a hump on the bass side and straight on the treble side.

Usually a combination of tweaking the truss rod VERY slighly and raising the action a little will solve the problem BUT you want an expert to do it and quite frankly if you have a bolt neck guitar, I'd replace the neck to save endless farting about with weather dependent changes.

I have a squire tele with this problem and it's not too bad so far - if it does get to be one I may jsut file down the frets on the bass side over the hump or get a new neck.
You can't do THAT on stage!

symphonist
Stagg
Stagg

Post by symphonist »

Ive set the action quite a bit higher, probably a bit to high, but atleast the vibration is gone now, and the guitar still pretty playable. Thanks for the help guys. Oh and I might just get a pair of those 11s ;) . After going up from 9s to 10s I found the tone much more to my taste and im pretty interested in hearing what some 11s would do.