ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Terexgeek wrote: What is the safest way to get a knob off :oops:

I have an axe with a stubborn volume knob that has been wedged on really tight and I don't want to damage it pulling it off...any tips???
You could use a knob puller tool, or if you're in a bind... wrap a shoelace around it and pull Mistress, PULL!! :shock:

(seriously)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

AndyS
Ashton
Ashton

Post by AndyS »

Ok thanks all for those pearls of wisdom. I'm thinking of some kind of adhesive (maybe the knob is too lubricated). Ash, it does have the split down the middle but if I open that up a bit , getting the knob back on might be a problem. Might post a pic up
SELLING - Schecter C1 Classic
Bose outdoor speakers
10" Kicker square subwoofer
6' Ethan round outdoor table + 5 pews
4x sunloungers (perfect going into winter!)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

You only need to splay it a tiny amount, like the thickness of a peice of paper. Too much will break it. If you can't get the knob back on, you've obviously gone too far.

You could dip the whole deal in teflon and grease and the knob won't fall off as long as the pot shaft is suitably set.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

AndyS
Ashton
Ashton

Post by AndyS »

Yeah I did manage to do it thanks Adrian. I think I may have split it a little too far but there was no damage and manage to jam the knob in. Can you imagine if some newbie had just joined and this was the first thread they read?
SELLING - Schecter C1 Classic
Bose outdoor speakers
10" Kicker square subwoofer
6' Ethan round outdoor table + 5 pews
4x sunloungers (perfect going into winter!)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

AndyS wrote: getting the knob back on might be a problem. Might post a pic up
That would be way TMI :roll: :shock:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:Just to keep momentum up here...and while this has the teckienickle types watching...

What is the safest way to get a knob off :oops:

I have an axe with a stubborn volume knob that has been wedged on really tight and I don't want to damage it pulling it off...any tips???
There's a special type of vacuum actuated device commonly known as a knob-sucka. Attach it over the offending part an suck and suck and suck until the entire end comes away. If the sucker turns blue discontinue and try again later.

8)
Is that a bit like a Tone Sucka?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

bluesgeek wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:Just to keep momentum up here...and while this has the teckienickle types watching...

What is the safest way to get a knob off :oops:

There's a special type of vacuum actuated device commonly known as a knob-sucka. Attach it over the offending part an suck and suck and suck until the entire end comes away. If the sucker turns blue discontinue and try again later.

8)
Is that a bit like a Tone Sucka?
It's a bit like a Tone Sucka but this one has a built in buffer.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

:shock:

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

AndyS wrote:(maybe the knob is too lubricated)
An over-lubricated knob is usually a messy scenario, and that's before you get to the ending.

Imagine how much different this thread would be if the title used the word "dial" instead of "knob". :lol: