where do you buy your MP3s?

Links to vaguely related sites

Moderator: Capt. Black

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: where do you buy your MP3s?

Post by Ironbird13 »

Jenesis wrote:I'm betting it was "Boys Boys Boys" by Sabrina.
thats an okay song.... on video with the sound muted :wink: :lol:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

zdali wrote:
rocklander wrote:
RUDENBARK wrote: *sigh*
Yes, yes, I got that.
Fear not, I wasn't offering to supply. I was just being a nosey bastard, as oft I am, lol.
What song were you looking for...................or is it something reeeeeeeally embarrassing?? :wink:
it was for my lady, not me.
So you're not gonna tell us then :P
If you are trying to get "For My Lady" by John Hanlon
I can help, The Hanlon family are friends of mine.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Jenesis wrote:I'm betting it was "Boys Boys Boys" by Sabrina.
or as we used to call it "Boing Boing Boing"

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I don't buy MP3s'. I prefer cd's.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

So in the end..?

Digirama doesn't have jack, really it doesn't.

I was after a copy of

Eno/Fripp's "Evening Star" album
Taj Mahal's "Recycling The Blues and Other Related Stuff" (it might be available as a digital download)
Concerto Italiano's recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

And of course, Digirama doesn't have any of that.

I can't actually find a "search" button on iTunes and I'm not going to download 80Mb of shit just to see if they have something I want to buy.

Otherwise..? :? Looks like I might have to buy the actual CDs off amazon? I just can't believe online shops are so totally shit. Any other sites I can try? The Taj Mahal album is actually available on allofmp3.org but that's (brr!) a Russian site so maybe that's not too good. Any other sites?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

You can see this shift from music on CDs, to music as files on a computer, to music as links on the net. There are lots of good streaming sites now that are perfectly legal if that floats your boat. These here are the most popular:

http://www.spotify.com/en/
http://www.last.fm/

Pandora too, but it seems they only stream to the states now

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I bought the Black River Drive single on itunes, spend way too much money on the app store too :?

The future is free music, give it away and then use the popularity you create to generate revenue thru touring, t-shirts etc..
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

jeremyb wrote:I bought the Black River Drive single on itunes, spend way too much money on the app store too :?

The future is free music, give it away and then use the popularity you create to generate revenue thru touring, t-shirts etc..
Hey cool man, thanks! We're just about to release the new single to iTunes, I signed off on the artwork yesterday. It's already up on myspace now if anyone's interested (fully mastered and kicking a lot of ass). 15 minutes has been mastered now too and I would wager the drums are the biggest sounding drums ever heard in NZ rock. Yes I mean it.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Spotify asks me to pay to become a premium member before they'll let me search (are those guys for real?) and anyway, it's not available in NZ. But even if it was available, there's no way I'm coughing up a cent before I can search their site.

last.fm is a nice site, but all they have is a link to either iTunes (which expects me to download 80Mb of stuff before even telling me if they have a specific album) or amazon, which I've used for years already, thank you very much.

I can't believe that, after all this bullshit about online music sites, etc. etc. the reality is so pathetic.

Added: But thanks heaps for the suggestions! :D

Jeremy:
I'm glad that's the future, but I wanted something a bit sooner. ;)
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

not sure if it's what you're after, but another streaming site is jango.com, free and it streams to nz. Their selection is a bit limited, but found Taj Mahal http://www.jango.com/music/Taj+Mahal?l=0. No Black River Drive though Sam :(

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I have to concur Vince.. the selection/availabilty (at a simple level rather than having to 'buy in', either financially or time/software wise) is just awful considering the time we live in.

how hard is it for a store like 'the warehouse' to stock a w-i-d-e variety of music inhouse, but nobody can seem to produce a similar vending facility for music online? it is ridiculous that I either have to pay to join before searching, or subscribe to a software product in order to purchase music.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Alf: Great site, but once again, the "buy" button has a link to either iTunes or Amazon. But it's definitely a cool site, I like the way that, in playing a bunch of similar artists, it's kind of educational as well.

And on another positive note, the Taj Mahal album which I was after (only available on vinyl ATM) is getting reissued on CD in mid November. Synchronicity or what? :D

Rocky: Yeah, I'm stunned at how difficult and laborious this whole exercise has been, especially considering the way that (according to the media), the whole CD format has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Admittedly, things might be different if we were in the US, but we're not and it sucks to have to move there just to download MP3s. :lol:

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

I've bought from Digirama, that was an ok experience. Gotta watchout though, some of the older stuff is WMA not MP3, from when they had DRM.

I subscribe to http://www.emusic.com. Monthly fee for 30 downloads. Lots of independents and old stuff. Not the 4 big ones, Sony, EMI, BMG, Warners (?), but lots of other stuff. Great for my blues and country and alt-country. Recent downloads are Jeff Healey's latest - excellent, John Mayall's 70th b'day with Clapton and Mick Taylor, Steve Earle, Bobby Whitlock (ex-Derek and the Dominoes), Ronnie Earl, Duke Robillard, and lots of other stuff you won't find in the CD shop. Just checked and there is a stack of Taj Mahal. Lots of Alligator label stuff, plus other blues labels old and modern.

You do need to be careful with some of it as it is from dodgy labels but there's lots and lots of legit original label stuff.

Miles Davis stuff from the 40's, 50's and 60's (for Africa!) from the original labels like Prestige. Loads of classical etc etc.

Anyone interested in emusic, PM me and I'll send you an invite. That way I'll get a reward of a stack of extra downloads.

Go on, you know you want to..
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days