Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: where do you buy your MP3s?

Post by Basket Case »

I've spent quite a lot of money with itunes. Their range is limited however which can be frustrating. My last laptop crapped itself with about $300 worth of itunes music on it. Silly me hadn't backed it up. Itunes were cool enough to let me download it all again free of charge, so they scored more than a few points with me there :D

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

cheeseboy777 wrote:That first link you posted rocky looks good!
30c MP3 there vs $1.75 at digirama. I dunno.. I just had an odd feeling that it may be along the lines of ash's nod towards russian dodginess and didn't really feel 'safe' there... I think 30c is just a bit too good to be true? :|
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

rocklander wrote:
cheeseboy777 wrote:That first link you posted rocky looks good!
30c MP3 there vs $1.75 at digirama. I dunno.. I just had an odd feeling that it may be along the lines of ash's nod towards russian dodginess and didn't really feel 'safe' there... I think 30c is just a bit too good to be true? :|

Contacts page says Moscow. Avoid.

Anything under $1 per song is probably dodgy. Anything Russian is too. In Russia they have laws and systems a bit like our APRA and AMCOS except that anyone can set one up and there is no requirement to prove that the money makes its way back to the artists or copyright holders. It is one of the Mobski's favourite ways of funding themselves. I bet if you whois that Shopnow website or the one it mirrors you come up with something Russian.

It is just as illegal here in NZ to download from the crooked websites who charge you 15 or 30c a song as it is to get them for free off Limewire or Torrent. At least Limewire doesn't sell your credit card details on to other gangsters.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

http://www.cdbaby.com/

Lots of artists that aren't mainstream. Not sure whether that makes them indie or unsigned or what.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Tonemaker wrote:Music from Apple only plays on Ipods and Itunes. I dont think will play on any player outside of those. I rip my music from most all the cd's I have, or try to go buy them from stores. Also buying used cd's and ripping them is great if you want to make a collection for an mp3. Most newer car stereos will play mp3's and I think also newer home cd/dvd players.
+1
Yeah that's wait I do. Got like 3200+ songs on the iPod, but only about 50 or so are off the net, rest are CDs. Don't really fancy the idea of just having digital copies, good to have the physical collection as well - f*** paying for a heap of digital only music only to loose it all if the player/comp hiccups!
It's that "old school" computer philosophy of HAVING HARD COPIES OF EVERYTHING, lol.
rocklander wrote: but it looks to me like itunes needs me to install 'itunes' and I am about as interested in that as I am a rectal thermometer of liquid nitrogen (and I don't care HOW much fun you think that sounds)
Good call - iTunes suck the big fat one.
YES! OKAY, OKAY! I HEAR YOU ALL YOU ITUNE USERS! iTunes does the job, and is perfectly alright, and 'specially designed for the iPod, etc.
.............BUT! only IF you have the latest f***ing comp to run it on, only IF you plan on keeping redundant duplicate MP3s on the comp HD (how many have been caught out with the STUUUUPID default syncing option btw? Not I! Mya ha ha!!!), and ESPECIALLY only IF you don't mind wasting s***loads of broadband quota (80Mb iTune download!?! Why the F*** isn't iTunes and a manual still packaged with with the actual product!?! Just plain f***ing witless I tells ya!).

(Off topic, but plenty of good iPod management alternatives. I use Winamp - not perfect by any stretch, but by far a lot less of a headache)
thehenderson wrote:Or just download them illegally in two seconds, and if you have moral quams with that then burn 5 dollars. Because that's how much bands are getting from you buying CDs from trademe

Seriously, if that's the situation with some bands and songs then illegally download them and give the money to charity or something
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........
Yeah, unfortunately I do have qualms.
But I'm a bit of a fence sitter when it comes to illegal MP3 downloads, taken very much the "try before you buy" approach.
There's heaps of folks with hundreds or even thousands of MP3's they've grabbed of the net (illegally I mean, not purchased) - I have a VERY low opinion of such people (ie, c**ts), that's just tantamount pirating, totally sucks.
BUT, then again there's a lot of music that's just really hard, nigh impossible, to source through legitimate channels, especially so from in NZ (the NZ music scene is sooooo f***ed up imo, for both artists and listeners). And also who wants to buy a whole album when there's one song that you really like, or not necessarily like but need to learn (for band)?
I can sorta see why Metalica and QOTSA are so massively anti-download, fair enough in some respects. But some of these anti-download campaigning artists are really shooting themselves in the foot in a big way! There's many CDs I brought because I've downloaded something and thought it was pretty good, and some that I would have even KNOWN about if it weren't for trawling the net.

Bah, f*** it, it's all fine-line BS in the end, lol.

Were you after anything specific?
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

RUDENBARK wrote: But I'm a bit of a fence sitter when it comes to illegal MP3 downloads, taken very much the "try before you buy" approach.
I agree in theory, but in practice I'm such a lazy, uninspired twonk that I never actually got around to the buy part.. it's not like we can't afford it financially, just lack of motivation to do it, so I decided it's time to change the way we look at this, and do it right the first time.. I mean.. the 'try' part can easily be ewechewb
RUDENBARK wrote:Were you after anything specific?
yup
rocklander wrote:ended up using digirama.. $1.75 for a song is prolly fair enough...
Last edited by rocklander on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

RUDENBARK wrote: iTunes does the job, and is perfectly alright, and 'specially designed for the iPod, etc.
.............BUT! only IF you have the latest f***ing comp to run it on, only IF you plan on keeping redundant duplicate MP3s on the comp HD (how many have been caught out with the STUUUUPID default syncing option btw? Not I! Mya ha ha!!!), and ESPECIALLY only IF you don't mind wasting s***loads of broadband quota (80Mb iTune download!?!
Duplicate MP3s? You're doing it wrong. 80Mb iTunes updates? Only if you bother to download them.

iTunes does have it's pros and cons, that's why I use it in tandem with Anapod Explorer.

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Jenesis wrote:
RUDENBARK wrote: iTunes does the job, and is perfectly alright, and 'specially designed for the iPod, etc.
.............BUT! only IF you have the latest f***ing comp to run it on, only IF you plan on keeping redundant duplicate MP3s on the comp HD (how many have been caught out with the STUUUUPID default syncing option btw? Not I! Mya ha ha!!!), and ESPECIALLY only IF you don't mind wasting s***loads of broadband quota (80Mb iTune download!?!
Duplicate MP3s? You're doing it wrong. 80Mb iTunes updates? Only if you bother to download them.

iTunes does have it's pros and cons, that's why I use it in tandem with Anapod Explorer.
Okay, you don't HAVE to have duplicates. But with the way iTunes is set up, it's assuming that you're keeping your music library on the computer and simply updating the iPod - updating meaning that you want what's on the computer to reflect what goes on the iPod (thus the duplicates). Yes, there's ways around it to pretty much set up iTunes to how you're comfortable with it, but you can't change that programmed-in assumption and for that reason alone iTunes sucks. And having a default of full-sync makes it even worse, it's asking for trouble (it's surprising actually from asking around how many folks don't even know you can change that option!

And since they no longer package iTunes with the iPod (which is just plain f***in' stooopid imo), you HAVE to download the latest iTunes, 80Mb (not just update) - better just to find someone that uses iTunes get them to initialise the iPod for you. (the fact PC users have to initilise it just to use it (ie can't use it out of the box) is another pet peeve)

With all the plug-and-play player options out there, by a long shot iPod/iTunes isn't exactly the best option when it comes to finding a product to suit your needs (rather than having to change your needs to suit the product). As an actual player though the iPod is bloody awesome, love it! (not perfect, but would totally recommend them, despite iTunes)

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

rocklander wrote:
yup
....................WELL!?!

(sheesh, some people, asking them questions is like squeezing blood from stones, lol)

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

RUDENBARK wrote:
rocklander wrote:
yup
....................WELL!?!

(sheesh, some people, asking them questions is like squeezing blood from stones, lol)
rocklander wrote:ended up using digirama.. $1.75 for a song is prolly fair enough...
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

rocklander wrote:
rocklander wrote:
yup
*sigh*
Yes, yes, I got that.
Fear not, I wasn't offering to supply. I was just being a nosey bastard, as oft I am, lol.
What song were you looking for...................or is it something reeeeeeeally embarrassing?? :wink:

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

RUDENBARK wrote:
rocklander wrote:
*sigh*
Yes, yes, I got that.
Fear not, I wasn't offering to supply. I was just being a nosey bastard, as oft I am, lol.
What song were you looking for...................or is it something reeeeeeeally embarrassing?? :wink:
it was for my lady, not me.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

rocklander wrote:
RUDENBARK wrote: *sigh*
Yes, yes, I got that.
it was for my lady, not me.
So you're not gonna tell us then :P
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

zdali wrote:
rocklander wrote: it was for my lady, not me.
So you're not gonna tell us then :P
man, it's such a freaking nice day outside.. reckon I'll take the dogs for a swim at lunchtime :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I'm betting it was "Boys Boys Boys" by Sabrina.