handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

My new blog

Post by handsoffmatt »

So I've decided this month to become a 21st century man and turn my hand to blogging....

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/blogs/matt/20 ... 091028.php

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/blogs/matt/20091007.php

It's been an interesting experience thus far. Would love any feedback from y'all. I'm trying to turn it into a regular thing...
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: My new blog

Post by badmotor »

Cool blog. Good to know I am using my SD-1 the same way.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

Cheers Todd. I don't think my OD pedal blog will reveal many big surprises to most NZG members - but it sure as shi*t will turn a few lightbulbs on for a lot of RS customers...
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Pickup comparisons are always good. And I'm always interested in 'what's the latest guitar on a budget that is punching way above it's weight' type of thing. Easy to read, lots of pics and references to well known guitarists. Well done. You can't go wrong.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Great blogs Matt. Well written and interesting to read; not horribly bland like so many blogs I've read.

One thing I will say though, is there needs to be a way to (easily) get back to a central index type thing listing all your blogs. I can't see any way to do so at all.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

Khann wrote:Great blogs Matt. Well written and interesting to read; not horribly bland like so many blogs I've read.

One thing I will say though, is there needs to be a way to (easily) get back to a central index type thing listing all your blogs. I can't see any way to do so at all.
Good call Khann....wil let Dave know about the index thingy.

Cheers for the feedback....
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Entered your prize draw... wouldnt mind winning me an SD-1... is on my list of pedals to buy.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

NZRS_Matt wrote:So I've decided this month to become a 21st century man and turn my hand to blogging....

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/blogs/matt/20 ... 091028.php

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/blogs/matt/20091007.php

It's been an interesting experience thus far. Would love any feedback from y'all. I'm trying to turn it into a regular thing...
Your use of "So" as a sentence opener was very 21st century man!

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

Awesome - I like the idea and I thought both articles were well written!

Question: is there a blog homepage? As opposed to linking the specific articles? I would like to check back on it in the future.

Good points:
Like the use of lots of visual material etc a lot.
Good structure to the article

Suggestions:
hyperlink the crap out of your article
Such as :
This is where SD-1’s and TS-type pedals really made their mark on the world – as players like Zakk Wylde, Warren Demartini, Stevie Ray Vaughan and a thousand other players in the early 80’s discovered – using an Overdrive pedal to “boost” the front end of your amp could deliver previously unheard of levels of distortion and led to the high-gain revolution we’re still in today….
This is a really easy way to add depth to an article without needing to create the content yourself. A lot of the readers that will benefit from these articles probably have no idea who at least one of those guys is. So linking either a wikipedia page or youtube of them in action is a good idea. Especially good to link an example of the sound you're describing in this case. Also link the product manufacturer websites, specifically the product if possible, would be handy if a bit time consuming...

How about allowing comments on the post? You may need to mod them though...

Only other suggestion is sorting out the navigation - i.e. maybe a sidebar? Just improving usability? For example, I can't see a way of getting between the two pages you posted. First thing I did after reading the first one was decide I wanted to read more of your stuff and try and find more articles. Failed. Presuming you're just testing the waters at this stage?

Do you read Simon Sweetman's blog over at stuff.co.nz? (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/bl ... the-tracks). Have a look at how and where he uses links in his posts, and what you can click for navigation and what it does.

Just suggestions...hopefully useful ones!

Keep up the good work!
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Cool blog... good content and to the point which means short-attention-spanned Cdog can enjoy the read :)

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

There is nothing that makes me smile as sweetly as the smile I smile when I smile while listening to my DS-1 driving my SD-1 into my Laney LC-50.

That is all.
Konx om Pax

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Cool article, man 8). Even though I know Larry Carlton had EMGs in his Valley Arts guitar, EMG still sits in my head as chuggachugga metal harshness. Interesting to read they do such a nice-sounding single-coil.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Thats pretty cool . I look forward to the amp section blog. 8) its well written. Good on you.

Hey, also after readng it all, what do you thnk of the G2D OD ?

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

NZRS_Matt wrote:Cheers Todd. I don't think my OD pedal blog will reveal many big surprises to most NZG members - but it sure as shi*t will turn a few lightbulbs on for a lot of RS customers...
How about some stuff taking about MT-2 boost a Mesa Recto man? that would be very helpful for some potential rectifier buyers who's into extreme metal style? Esepcially consider MT-2+Recto is pretty much unknown in NZ?

just my 2c matt, haha

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

Cheers for the feedback mahtone. I may take your suggestion about the hyperlinks - that seems like a cool idea...

With regards to all the format/layout stuff - we've left it all pretty basic while things get up and running. Improvements will be made later down the track - I promise :-D
"Volume is tone" - EVH