bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Free modular amp sim software

Post by bender »

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitubefree/features/

IK Multimedia have just released a new free version of Amplitube for PC and Mac. Like all the previous versions it works as a standalone application or as a plugin in your sequencer of choice (VST, AU or RTAS). Nothing particularly new or groundbreaking there (they've had free versions for ages now) but what is exciting is that it's modular. You can buy extra components like amps or stompboxes and completely customise it to suit whatever style you want. All of the models have a free trial and they're pretty cheap to buy, particularly if you buy in bulk. They have officially licensed versions of Fender, Ampeg, Orange, THD, Soldano, Gallien-Krueger, Groove-Tubes, Seymour Duncan (?) and T-Rex (!) as well as unofficial versions of all the other majors (Marshall, Vox etc).

I've used Amplitube quite a bit through the years (usually because it was bundled with Pro Tools) and I've always liked it but felt that the free versions were too crippled to be of much use so I'm pretty phsyched about this one- especially with the T-Rex models! MUDHONEYMUDHONEYMUDHONEY BABY!

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Free modular amp sim software

Post by rocklander »

thanks bender.. seemed too good to be true.. was for me. went to the download section after registering and it wont load (just defaults to the "user area")... poopies!
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

How to get your FREE AmpliTube:

Create your IK Multimedia account by registering here.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html? ... /index.php

Login and access your User Area by clicking here.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/index.php?Community
Go to the 'Downloads' section in your User Area to download your AmpliTube 3 FREE installer.
Get your AmpliTube 3 FREE Serial Number from the 'Authorization' section in your User Area.
Install and launch AmpliTube 3, then authorize it using the Authorization Manager.
Once AmpliTube opens, click the Custom Shop icon in the upper right of the AmpliTube window. NOTE: you must have an active Internet connection to use the Custom Shop.

Enter the same User Name and Password you used to access the User Area to access the Custom Shop.Once AmpliTube opens, you can browse and try out the hundreds of available gear models by clicking the Custom Shop icon in the upper right of the AmpliTube window (NOTE: an active Internet connection is required), and then enter it using your IK User Name and Password.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

nzsimon1 wrote:Go to the 'Downloads' section in your User Area to download your AmpliTube 3 FREE installer.
that's where it fails for me. I click on the downloads link (either the text at the top, or the icon 2/3 the way down) and it just refreshes the "user area". could be their server is overwhelmed.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

seems they've applied the irig type approach its bigger brothers,do they have a money back guarantee like line 6 do with pod farm add ons?

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I doubt it but at least you can try the models for free. It would be nice to have more than 2 days to trial them though...

I reckon an adapted version of this would be a cool marketing tool for stomp-box manufacturers. For example, using this software you can now try all of the T-Rex pedals at home without having to go into a store. Way better than youtube toneclips IMO. Imagine if someone like proguitarshop.com had models of all of their pedals in a software sim!

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

I use POD Farm currently, and never used AmpliTube before. Is it much different? Worth me trying out and feeling gutted that I paid for POD Farm?
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

SammyD wrote:I use POD Farm currently, and never used AmpliTube before. Is it much different? Worth me trying out and feeling gutted that I paid for POD Farm?
Podfarm will have more in it up front. I use it too but it's incredibly flakey with the latest version of Pro Tools (my main DAW) so I'm hoping this will be a good replacement.

Also, you get 5 authorisations per license so if you want to use it on multiple systems (which I do) you don't have to register a whole bunch of times.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

benderissimo wrote:
SammyD wrote:I use POD Farm currently, and never used AmpliTube before. Is it much different? Worth me trying out and feeling gutted that I paid for POD Farm?
Podfarm will have more in it up front. I use it too but it's incredibly flakey with the latest version of Pro Tools (my main DAW) so I'm hoping this will be a good replacement.

Also, you get 5 authorisations per license so if you want to use it on multiple systems (which I do) you don't have to register a whole bunch of times.
Yeah it crashes on me quite often in Reaper as well, glad to know it's not just my system struggling. Might still give this AmpliTube a go, although I doubt I will have time to before I go away on holiday.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

rocklander wrote:
nzsimon1 wrote:Go to the 'Downloads' section in your User Area to download your AmpliTube 3 FREE installer.
that's where it fails for me. I click on the downloads link (either the text at the top, or the icon 2/3 the way down) and it just refreshes the "user area". could be their server is overwhelmed.

you reading it right :wink:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Ironbird13 wrote:

you reading it right :wink:
nope.. I'm reading it left to right...
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Might have to try this now that I would get in the shit for pirating the full version. :mrgreen:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

The bundled models are OK and the sheer scope of what you can add on is cool but the models are a bit too expensive to go nuts on. Still, looks like it could be perfect for my needs (in that I use it heavily for work and can simply buy the bits I need, when I need them).

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

I have the full licensed version in stock $599 http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitube/features/ inc GST and delivery

nex666
Stagg
Stagg

Post by nex666 »

To be honest I prefer some of the free software, no strings attached. Of course they don't have one for every single amp model that Amplitube emulates. So Amplitube has got the advantage there, as well as being easier to use...but, here's the info for all interested:

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/
http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/plugins.html

Some great models and you can probably figure out what amps they are "cloning", they sound great for an amp sim, still not the real thing though.

You will need to get an impulse loader (LePou has one, and KeFIR is pretty good too, if you want to google it) to put after these sims in your FX chain, but you can get loads of different impulses that suit your sound more. (Basically an impulse is a clip of the way the the mic/mic placing and power amp affect the sound, you can get ones that a reverbs too).

I used these things for a while, but in the end I just ended up recording a real amp because it's pretty hard to get a dirty sound with these things, they're very "clean and polished"..or at least all the resources that are available for them are.