Moderator: Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Templeboards - New Pedalboard Designs

Post by bender »

xCaptainx wrote:Well by all means, I'm all ears.
Innovation and self-motivation (or at least the perception of them) being the main two.

That's just how it comes across to the casual observer though.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Ok, I think I understand. Product promotion or the assistance of product promotion has to adhere to admin/sponsorship rules of the forum, unless of course we think it's cool. Got it!

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

I'm struggling to find a clear pic/video demo of how the pedals actually attach to the board?

In general, I'm skeptical of any propriety/modular system where you're linked to that company for life and need to buy their product to use the thing you've bought.

What if 5 years down the track you've outgrown your board, or need to replace some of the little modular bits, and the company's gone bust?

That's my first thought, but aside from that the board's look good.

There's a $#!t-load of competition out there for pedal boards though, so its not gonna be an easy task taking on Pedaltrain. Good on him though!

He should get in touch with a company like Pro Guitar Shop.
Last edited by Miza on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

xCaptainx wrote:Ok, I think I understand. Product promotion or the assistance of product promotion has to adhere to admin/sponsorship rules of the forum, unless of course we think it's cool. Got it!
Both posts are promotional- but only one is an interesting new idea. If you removed all mention of brands from both posts, this one would still be of interest. Yours wouldn't. That means that this one has more to it that simply the promotional 'trying to drum up business' angle. That's my view, and I'm not an admin, so it's completely speculative at this point. Feel free to get offended/feel vindicated once they either let it slide or lock it. :mrgreen:

Also- peace bro, no offense intended.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Miza wrote:I'm struggling to find a clear pic/video demo of how the pedals actually attach to the board?
http://templeboards.com/pages/quick-rel ... ing-system
Pretty clear in the photos- plate sticks to pedals, plate screws on to board with a single thumbscrew.
Miza wrote: In generally, I'm skeptical of any propriety/modular system where you're linked to that company for life and need to buy their product to use the thing you've bought.

What if 5 years down the track you've outgrown your board, or need to replace some of the little modular bits, and the company's gone bust?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

benderissimo wrote:
Miza wrote:I'm struggling to find a clear pic/video demo of how the pedals actually attach to the board?
http://templeboards.com/pages/quick-rel ... ing-system
Pretty clear in the photos- plate sticks to pedals, plate screws on to board with a single thumbscrew.
:oops: I didn't look that hard...
Nothing to see here.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Seems to me to be another case of trying hard to find a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Velcro is cheaper and easier, more flexible to use and doesn't tie you in to a single supplier.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote:Seems to me to be another case of trying hard to find a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Velcro is cheaper and easier, more flexible to use and doesn't tie you in to a single supplier.
Sadly for our enterprising friend, this is true.

As to your question Captain, Benderissimo's reply has merit. However the last decision was taken by BG and in the interest of fairness and consistency I have asked him to look at this one too.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Yeah, it's an interesting one. I store my boards "upright" in cases or bags, and often get velcro-glue-drift - they eventually fall off the pedals, particularly the higher gloss paints (Polytune) or heavier pedals. Now, technically with glued/double taped pedal plates you get the same issue - but I'm making the assumption that the bond under the plates would be higher. My main thing, though, is swapping around between boards - and stabilty of the pedals - I get a little wobble and like the idea of a "fixed" connection. Little things like - if I only have a small gap between pedals, I dont want the plugs rubbing up against my shiny expensive delay pedal and scratching it - and damaging the plug to potentially wear that connection. So...

But velcro is quick and easy. But... I do thing it's a bit silly all the 'gear page' guys who are talking about these boards and then using velcro instead - kinds defeats the purpose of the specific design. Might as well keep using PT. But if you want to get rid of Velcro - there's nothing else out there really.

And RE the "post to advertise vs post to discuss" - well, he is an old mate of mine - but the intention was to discuss the design and product - he's not (currently) selling in this market (at least, not via local distribution)... I just wanted to talk about it as I'm looking at setting up a couple of boards with his kit. Will post review and photos if it all works out.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I don't think it's a solution looking for a problem at all- Velcro is easy, but really unreliable. My pedals move around heaps and I'm constantly having to remove them and replace the Velcro on the pedals that come and go from my board regularly- my wah and les lius in particular. Something to do with the finish maybe. I'm not convinced that this solves that of course, but it should do- if they're held on with a screw, no pressure should be put on the adhesive when removing them.

posted from tapatalk

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

KentNZ wrote:if you want to get rid of Velcro - there's nothing else out there really.
Cable ties.

bender
Darth Fader

Re: Re: Templeboards - New Pedalboard Designs

Post by bender »

Conway wrote:
KentNZ wrote:if you want to get rid of Velcro - there's nothing else out there really.
Cable ties.
You'd have to make your own board though... Or use a fridge rack like alanp

posted from tapatalk

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

You can use cable ties on a Pedaltrain. I used to have 2 power supplies underneath secured by them on my PT3.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Fine for your power supply under the board that you can mount at 90%, but hard to do for pedals though as they run perpendicular to the rail. You'd have to go diagonally which may look a bit messy or cause the pedal to sit at an angle.

I usually store my board on its end too, so opening it up after a few weeks to find the pedals have slipped down the Velcro is really annoying, not annoying enough to switch to another board though.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

3M dual lock fixes all, but I've never had an issue with the stuff that comes with the various pedaltrains I've owned, tis sticky as hell, unless you're trying to get boss pedals to stick to it...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.