handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

How does a Tape Echo work?

Post by handsoffmatt »

I got my first article published this week!

http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/magic-of-tape-echo/

Part of my job is to submit articles to the Roland Australia blog, and this is the first one I've done so far. It's piece to educate people who have heard the term "tape echo" before but aren't really sure what all the fuss is about.

Check it out, and let me know what you think!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: How does a Tape Echo work?

Post by bobiron »

I knew most of that stuff, but I thought you presented it in a very clear manner.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Thanks bobiron. Appreciate the feedback!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Well done Matt. That's required reading for anyone playing with a modern echo simulator; makes it clear what you are adjusting and why. Great stuff; I look forward to more from you. Got any links to the Boss pedal story itself? The models produced (and retired) over the years and how they developed and evolved?

I have been playing with an old Echoplex recently. Cool factor aside, the fiddly, temperamental nature of the beast makes me very grateful for modern technology!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

nice article, easy to follow :)

I remember the lead guitarist in one of the local bands I used to watch at the local cricket club back in the very early 80s was extremely proud of his WEM CopyCat tape echo when he got it and used it a hell of a lot. That was an odd looking piece of kit, but reasonably portable.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

sty wrote:nice article, easy to follow :)

I remember the lead guitarist in one of the local bands I used to watch at the local cricket club back in the very early 80s was extremely proud of his WEM CopyCat tape echo when he got it and used it a hell of a lot. That was an odd looking piece of kit, but reasonably portable.
I used to play in a duo when I was young with a flautist who used a WEM Copycat. The soaring, ethereal sounds he got from that rig are some of my favourites to this day.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

handsoffmatt wrote:Thanks bobiron. Appreciate the feedback!
I see what you did there.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius