Directory listing for guitar repairs, services etc.

Links to vaguely related sites

Moderator: Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Re: Directory listing for guitar repairs, services etc.

Post by The Scarecrow »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:51 am
The Scarecrow wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:49 am Who's recommended for a simple action/intonation setup in East (ideally) or at a push, Central Aucks. Other guitarist in my new band just got a Gretsch which needs a mild tweaking, but the closest to him was asking $250 which seems fucking exorbitant unless I'm way off the mark...
That's ridiculous. Any reason they can't just do it themselves? There's really nothing to it.
I think he'd just like it done pro because it's a new guitar and the first he's bought in a while. I probably could do it, but I understand that with someone new, you may want a more experienced hand over it.... just not $250 worth of experience. Last I checked, something like that was around 80-120 in terms of $?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

The Scarecrow wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:02 am
The Scarecrow wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:49 am Who's recommended for a simple action/intonation setup in East (ideally) or at a push, Central Aucks. Other guitarist in my new band just got a Gretsch which needs a mild tweaking, but the closest to him was asking $250 which seems fucking exorbitant unless I'm way off the mark...
That's ridiculous. Any reason they can't just do it themselves? There's really nothing to it.
I think he'd just like it done pro because it's a new guitar and the first he's bought in a while. I probably could do it, but I understand that with someone new, you may want a more experienced hand over it.... just not $250 worth of experience. Last I checked, something like that was around 80-120 in terms of $?
I thought it was about $150 for a setup but I haven't seen anyone for that since Adrian, and he was $80.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:29 am

I thought it was about $150 for a setup but I haven't seen anyone for that since Adrian, and he was $80.
I think that's where my shock at at $250 tag comes from - years of sub-$100 from Adrian.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

We're blessed down here in chch, a basic setup like that Alan would charge you around $40-50...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I guess it depends on the quality of the work as well, not saying a decent luthier doing a $120 job is going to be average, but if I had a new guitar and it was on the spendy side, if I was getting a $250 set up that was worth $250, I'd consider it.

I had a new guitar set up by Gary Moore's live guitar tech a long time ago, not cheap (as you'd expect) but it came back utterly amazing to play. That wasn't even a particularly special guitar, but it felt like it afterwards.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:34 am

I guess it depends on the quality of the work as well, not saying a decent luthier doing a $120 job is going to be average, but if I had a new guitar and it was on the spendy side, if I was getting a $250 set up that was worth $250, I'd consider it.

I had a new guitar set up by Gary Moore's live guitar tech a long time ago, not cheap (as you'd expect) but it came back utterly amazing to play. That wasn't even a particularly special guitar, but it felt like it afterwards.
I think the guitar in question was around the $600-700 mark, so spending a third of that on setup seems excessive.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

I suppose it depends on what a setup means for this particular tech. Are they doing some fretwork, making a new nut, and then a regular setup on top? I could understand that, but can't imagine that's necessary on every guitar that comes through the door.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:58 am I suppose it depends on what a setup means for this particular tech. Are they doing some fretwork, making a new nut, and then a regular setup on top? I could understand that, but can't imagine that's necessary on every guitar that comes through the door.
Just as I've described in this case - simple action/intonation adjustment. Guitar is new so frets and nut are fine.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

The Scarecrow wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:51 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:34 am

I think the guitar in question was around the $600-700 mark, so spending a third of that on setup seems excessive.
In my case it was a quarter of the value of the guitar and who was doing it was definitely an influence, but yeah if it only needs a quick once-over then that is a bit steep.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

The Scarecrow wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:00 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:58 am I suppose it depends on what a setup means for this particular tech. Are they doing some fretwork, making a new nut, and then a regular setup on top? I could understand that, but can't imagine that's necessary on every guitar that comes through the door.
Just as I've described in this case - simple action/intonation adjustment. Guitar is new so frets and nut are fine.
Then yeah, that's ridiculous. This tech must be in high demand, or very jaded.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:12 am
The Scarecrow wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:00 am
Then yeah, that's ridiculous. This tech must be in high demand, or very jaded.
Didn't want to name but do feel like this is excessive considering my bandmate was very clear in his comms (I've seen the screenshots) in just asking for the action and intonation to be done only.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

You don't have to name, it's just triple what I'd expect to pay for turning a truss rod and 6 screws.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:20 am You don't have to name, it's just triple what I'd expect to pay for turning a truss rod and 6 screws.
Glad to know I was not off in my expectations, nor was my bandmate. My last setup was around the $150 mark and I had a lot done for that price at the time.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

But, the silver lining is that this pushes more and more people to learn new skills as the price for basic work becomes more and more ridiculous. Your buddy could buy a decent set of tools good for a lifetime for the same amount.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:36 am But, the silver lining is that this pushes more and more people to learn new skills as the price for basic work becomes more and more ridiculous. Your buddy could buy a decent set of tools good for a lifetime for the same amount.
True. Probably why I tend to do a lot of my own tweaking. But I get that everyone is different in terms of their appetites and some people would just prefer to fire some coin at something to get it resolved.