Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Handy Guitar Chord Finder

Post by Capt. Black »

Forgive me if this is old news. I just found this page with a great little utility for working out the names of chords.

http://www.guitarnotes.com/chordfind/

Just click positions on the fret board and the correct chord names, and all possible alternative names pop up.

I plugged in some of the wierder chords I play and was surprised to find out what they really were. No more having to describe them as 'That G chord thingy'.

Now the only problem is, if I use the correct chord names, no one else will know what the hell I'm talking about. :)

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Now the only problem is, if I use the correct chord names, no one else will know what the hell I'm talking about
I'm sure you've already played with people who have no idea what the chord is, so they call it something which turns out to be completely wrong.

I've found this to be common among Maori players I've gigged with. Beautiful chords, but no idea what they are. So I research to make sure I'm calling them correctly and .. hello! Imaginary chord!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

I name the more exotic chords in my musical vocabulary after the players I stole them from. It doesn't matter to me what you call them, they sound the same. If a member of the band can't "hear" the chord I'm playing and work off that, I've got troubles. It's a JAM BAND, so you need big ears.

I'm not knocking music theory. I've got quite a lot of it running and hiding in my brain. I just don't think you should over-think your playing. Play what feels good.

I checked out the site. Cool idea. The Chord Finder seems to be a bit fucked up? One of the frets is out of sync :shock:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

ha, I confused you eh? you didn't know the names of the chords :P probably that tricky Cadd9 :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

bluesgeek wrote:ha, I confused you eh? you didn't know the names of the chords :P probably that tricky Cadd9 :P
Yeah, I was somewhat discombobulated after your tacit admission of my influence over you. Go the KT88s man, do it, you know you want to.
:twisted:

Darcy, the strings seem wrong until you click behind the nut to indicate an open string. Works a treat.

I like the idea of naming chords after the person you stole them from but seeing as I don't pay enough attention to other gutarists. All mine came from happy accidents so everything would be named Capt. Black.
:)

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

I've always just call Cadd9 a small G

I can never remember any names of chords
except A minor, screw this memory stuff

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Thats very handy. My "Ian Anderson" chord that I also saw being used by some guitar chick on tele the other day is now called Fmaj7.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

that's my I of the mourning chord
it's a fun chord

grolschie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by grolschie »

Frey wrote: take an Am , C , F , Dm , a simple thing but pretty neat. but play it like this...
Am add9 X07500
C7 879900
F7/A X03210
Dm add9/A X03230
They's are majuh 7th's, not 7th's. Them majuh 7th's sound real purty like. :-)

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I have an old organ chord dictionary from when I started on keys. On the back cover it has a chord chart which I personally got a lot from. It doesn't show any chord shapes, but instead tells what the relative notes which make up chords are.

For instance, it shows a Dim chord as 1 - b3 - b5 and an Aug as 1 - 3- #5 etc. To me this is a great way for me to work out chords quickly and easily.

Of course keyboard chords are a lot easier to me, 'cos I can then use all my fingers, which I can't on guitar.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

ok this is so fuken confusin??? e maj5 add the 3rd sus 8th aug7...etc... sheesh
Metal up your ass bitches.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

whats a chord???
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bozie
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bozie »

My favorite chord is D#m7b5 from EC's change the world. Its a chord I can find no other practical use for (yet) :D

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

ii - V - i in a minor key 8)

As in (if you want D#min7b5): D#min7b5 - G#7b9 - C#min.

8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bozie
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bozie »

Tsuken wrote:ii - V - i in a minor key 8)

As in (if you want D#min7b5): D#min7b5 - G#7b9 - C#min.

8)
I thought that would happen :lol: 8) :lol:

Thats pretty much how its used in Change The World in rerlationship to the other chords less the b9 voicing, but I never thought to use it on its own, the IV goes nicely with them as well.

Thanks Tusken :wink: