FREE SOUNDMAN - Wellington City

Needing a bass player, guitarist, drummer? Advertise here...

Moderator: Capt. Black

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Hi Guys,

I've never really "past participle of get" into the live sound scene in Wellington, I've been busy doing sound in church.
(not 2 microphones and an organ, 20+ channels of audio, 6+ monitor mixes)

I was thinking that I'd be keen to do sound for a couple of local bands, just to get out there, have a change from church gigs and meet some people.

So Wellington bands, PM if you'd be interested in having me come and do some sound for you, for free! :shock:

You'd been blown away at how much better your gig can be with a tech nerd who knows your band, can trouble shoot and has a decent set of ears.

In terms of experience, 10+ years mixing with a couple of gigs a month, Certificate of Live Sound and Recording from Excel School of Performing Arts and a major part of my day job is designing, building and operating various production systems.
I also do the occasional freelance recording project, mainly through Vertical Studios.

Who knows, it might develop and turn into a useful collaboration?

capt abaham
Gibson

Re: FREE SOUNDMAN - Wellington City

Post by capt abaham »

can i just say this: i`m not cool with people doing this for free when there are people who rely on the money to pay the bills
Originally Posted by STEEL KAGE
As for the Vid, IMHO, the guy played the notes but had none of LC vibe or finesse...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

How else is he meant to get experience and a good rep?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

capt abaham wrote:can i just say this: i`m not cool with people doing this for free when there are people who rely on the money to pay the bills
I never understand this, if the sound guys can't offer something that can't be had for free, then they don't deserve the money. Am I allowed to help my mum move her furniture when there are people who rely on the money to pay the bills? Anyway likely any band who takes this offer probably wouldn't normally be able to afford a sound guy.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Do you advertise yourself as available to help anyones mum move for free?

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

All depends how much the band is making on the gig. I doubt a band who manages to scrape 200 to 500 from their share of the door having a free sound guy is putting any of the pros' out of work.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

RuBear wrote:I never understand this, if the sound guys can't offer something that can't be had for free, then they don't deserve the money.

Think of it this way. The RWC made squillions of profit for a select few while hundreds of fools worked for free as volunteers. It’s the industry where only designers and P.R people get paid and we all work for free to get experience. Please mate it BS, no one should work for free, not ever.

Ben offereng to work for free has put one guy out of pocket, simple as that.

i bet some of the guys on this thread over charge for what they do but when it comes to music/gigs etc its ohhh can you do it for free mate, we are only getting the door. while i drive home in my SS Conformadore
As for the Vid, IMHO, the guy played the notes but had none of LC vibe or finesse...

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

TmcB wrote:How else is he meant to get experience and a good rep?
I think Bens cv and qualifications as stated, already puts him ahead of the pack.
Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle on the subject but err towards capt. Abs pov.
I'd rather see someone put themselves out there as being available at reasonable rates and then having the flexibility to adjust on a case by case basis.

It's also very hard to shake a rep as good and free once you start wanting to charge, without creating a lot of resentment among the people you've worked with.
Whereas being known as good and cutting the occasional deal to help the needy can strengthen people's appreciation tremendously.

In my own bands experience, there are no more than 5 people I'd let mix us. I've never paid less than the going rate for them. And even if there's a free guy available I'd still pay one of the ones I know and trust.
So sometimes... Actually quite often, free can be a turn off.

Not getting at Ben in any way. I hope he does well. But I'd encourage him to think again about how he pitches himself. :)

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Capt. Black wrote:Do you advertise yourself as available to help anyones mum move for free?
I essentially advertised myself out at uni to anyone in my class friends or not who wanted help with anything, meanwhile there are tutors who charged $40 an hour to the same students for help, and the tutors are mostly other students who probably needed the cash. If I had known I was being such an asshole though I would never have helped anyone. :D EDIT: Also the why of this was that I felt it helped me get a concrete understanding/ helped remember everything, so similar reasons to Ben wanting experience.
crowbgood1 wrote:All depends how much the band is making on the gig. I doubt a band who manages to scrape 200 to 500 from their share of the door having a free sound guy is putting any of the pros' out of work.
What if it was for a bigger gig though? If he has the skills to do the job and is willing in order to build his reputation and relationships within the industry in order to create a money making opportunity later why shouldn't he be able to?

capt abaham wrote:Ben offereng to work for free has put one guy out of pocket, simple as that.
I really have no problem with this, it's put one guy out of pocket, but that money has gone back to the band/venue who didn't have to pay for the soundguy, it hasn't been burnt. Meanwhile Ben has been payed in terms of experience which he obviously thinks is worthwhile or equivalent in value for him. Other people being overpaid is a completely separate issue which I might be more inclined to agree with you on.
Last edited by RuBear on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I know bands that if they do make a good taking on the door would pay a free sound guys some moneys anyway, if he's done a good job. I had a gig a few weeks ago and I think our share of the door was $50 or something pathetic. But the sound guy was a fantastic guy (had worked with Linkin Park or something) so we still gave him a large share of that money anyway. There's definately a lot of cowboys areound though too, who are happy to take an unfair cut for a poor job.
Props to OP for offering his services free of charge. I'm sure the connections he makes will result in more work down the track. There's nothing wrong with advertising in this manner IMHO, unless it's annoying and in your face, a la door knockers.

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Capt. Black: That makes way more sense to me, it may not be the best option for Ben in terms of promoting himself, you guys would know more than me though about that. I just think that you shouldn't hold back from doing that because your going to hurt someone who gets paid for it, if you think it will benefit you.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

I actually think it sounds more like Ben is looking for a band he gets on with to form a long term collaboration. Kind of like a fifth member.

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

its not easy getting started but after 10 years Ben should have a few contacts ay

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

This discussion is jogging my memory a hit. I'm sure I read somewhere that you should never work for free go gain experience or try to land a customer, for the.reasons capt b has stated mainly. Might have been in relation to design or writing, can't remember, but the principle was the same.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Good on you Ben. Whilst you have listed your services are 'free' don't let anyone walk all over you (not least the people on this forum).