Needing a bass player, guitarist, drummer? Advertise here...

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY el byrdo
Hey guys, anyone want to play some music? I'm in glen eden and don't have a car but there's always the trainy wainy to hop on.
Don't have my electric stuff but might be getting it pretty soon.

Anyone keen for a jam?
Hope you can find someone to have a jam with Frey, but speaking from the perspective of someone who's had to recruit for guitarists and vocalists in the last couple of years more than once, I would be hard pressed to even consider doing anything with someone who a. doesn't have gear b. doesn't have their own transport. Obviously, everyone's situation is different but it's kinda like saying, "let's play Playstation" and only having the console without a controller or game. :eh:

Obviously you're probably getting your gear sorted soon from what you say, so I hope you find some collaborators. I'm probably jaded after dealing with so many people who wanted to play guitar for my band, only to be told "oh, I don't have an amp/guitar" after talking up a storm. :grump:

Personally, marketing one's self as a 'loser' guitar player isn't going to inspire a great rush of offers :mental:
BY Vince
Well, Ok... I *have* played with Frey and hey, if you're going to worry about whether he has a car or not, that's your loss. I was fine with driving in to see him.

And you guys all seem to have 394,573,204 different guitars each, I'm sure you can lend him a project guitar or a beater of some sort.

He's a fucking good player, if you're going to worry about details, that's your loss.
Vince wrote:Well, Ok... I *have* played with Frey and hey, if you're going to worry about whether he has a car or not, that's your loss. I was fine with driving in to see him.

And you guys all seem to have 394,573,204 different guitars each, I'm sure you can lend him a project guitar or a beater of some sort.

He's a fucking good player, if you're going to worry about details, that's your loss.

Hey, if you're happy with that Vince, more power to you. I did clearly state the reasoning behind my comments.

Also, Frey's skill was never in question. But you can be the best damn player in the world, but it's kinda pointless without the tools you need to do the job, so to speak - that's all I was saying. .
Last edited by The Scarecrow on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frey wrote:Hey guys, anyone want to play some music? I'm in glen eden and don't have a car but there's always the trainy wainy to hop on.

Anyone keen for a jam?

I'm picking there's a story here - worth a share? Not being nosy but might better explain the situation (cause it sounds like you have gear, just not with you at the moment?). Also genre, musical interest, intent (just socially having a bash, looking to form a band, wanting to play out etc?).
null_pointer wrote:
Frey wrote:Hey guys, anyone want to play some music? I'm in glen eden and don't have a car but there's always the trainy wainy to hop on.

Anyone keen for a jam?

I'm picking there's a story here - worth a share? Not being nosy but might better explain the situation (cause it sounds like you have gear, just not with you at the moment?). Also genre, musical interest, intent (just socially having a bash, looking to form a band, wanting to play out etc?).

Frey started a thread a few weeks ago, he's moved up to the big smoke of Glen Eden from Nelson (or moved down, I grew up in Nelson, live in Glen Eden, not sure which way I'd class it). I would assume he's just got himself here and yet to sort out the finer details of Auckland living, such as a car, getting his gear here, finding his way around, etc.

I'd take this as a NZG'er new to an area, looking to see if anyone wants to meet up, jam and be social with new people. I would hope our little community really doesn't require certain criteria or standards to be met for this to happen.

Frey, I'm mere weeks away from introducing mini-me no.2 to the world (well, mini-me if I was a girl), so I have feck all time to spare at the moment, but if you want to borrow any gear while you're waiting for yours to turn up, just shout.
Yeah my electric rig is a work in progress but I promise it will be killer and there will be a thread or something when I get it together. Luckily rock isn't the only type of music in the world. At this stage I was thinking more just have a bash on the acoustics. Luckily my talent transcends the bounds of electricity. And yeah, I can sing in my own middling kinda way. Just got here, going to try to get my restricted and a car soon as that's obviously the way to get around here. Seems like you have to be stuck on motorways for half an hour to get anywhere. I naively thought it would be sweet to ride my bike the 15 k's into the city but the roads are pretty scary with all the congestion. I've always noted there are a lot of aucklanders on here so I thought I'd just put it out there that I'm looking to make some music at some point.
null_pointer wrote:I'll be honest, I'd be expecting Johnny Marr based on your profile pic :)

Haha that's Tom Verlaine my all time #1 guitar hero but yeah, I actually do a pretty decent johnny marr knockoff, although replicating genius is a loser's game obviously.
The Scarecrow wrote:Hope you can find someone to have a jam with Frey, but speaking from the perspective of someone who's had to recruit for guitarists and vocalists in the last couple of years more than once, I would be hard pressed to even consider doing anything with someone who a. doesn't have gear b. doesn't have their own transport. Obviously, everyone's situation is different but it's kinda like saying, "let's play Playstation" and only having the console without a controller or game. :eh:

Obviously you're probably getting your gear sorted soon from what you say, so I hope you find some collaborators. I'm probably jaded after dealing with so many people who wanted to play guitar for my band, only to be told "oh, I don't have an amp/guitar" after talking up a storm. :grump:

Personally, marketing one's self as a 'loser' guitar player isn't going to inspire a great rush of offers :mental:

Haha that's my old self depreciation haha. I may or may not be a loser but I can shred (but you know, not.... actually Shred). Yeah I'm just getting settled in so obviously I have more pressing priorities than rock and/or roll. With a bit of luck I'll be getting my stuff in a couple of weeks (dad going down with van). Just need to take my amp for a visit to a tech and get a couple of bits and bobs for my pedalboard and I'll be away. Hell I might even get a new electric because hey why not right.
Frey wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:Hope you can find someone to have a jam with Frey, but speaking from the perspective of someone who's had to recruit for guitarists and vocalists in the last couple of years more than once, I would be hard pressed to even consider doing anything with someone who a. doesn't have gear b. doesn't have their own transport. Obviously, everyone's situation is different but it's kinda like saying, "let's play Playstation" and only having the console without a controller or game. :eh:

Haha that's my old self depreciation haha. I may or may not be a loser but I can shred (but you know, not.... actually Shred). Yeah I'm just getting settled in so obviously I have more pressing priorities than rock and/or roll. With a bit of luck I'll be getting my stuff in a couple of weeks (dad going down with van). Just need to take my amp for a visit to a tech and get a couple of bits and bobs for my pedalboard and I'll be away. Hell I might even get a new electric because hey why not right.

Yeah man, i wasn't taking a personal crack, just speaking from experience - so I get what you are saying, other things higher up the ladder in terms of priority!