Guitar Pro 5.2 a bit too much for most PCs?

Post your tabs!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Guitar Pro 5.2 a bit too much for most PCs?

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I recently upgraded to GPro 5.2 along with the latest RSE packs and ran into problems straight away.
It seems to start overloading my CPU really easily, the sound starts breaking up and stuttering at as little as 60% cpu load.
My pc is getting a bit old, P4 3.73 extreme, 2gb ram, 2x Sata2 hard discs and the Audigy 4pro with outboard IO box.
It should handle it, but won't.
I use Vista ultimate x64, which has been a real hassle for sound drivers, I have the lastest sound driver and asio updates.
The only thing that helps run GPro smoothly is running all my sound options at 16bit 44khz. Bummer.
If I try to run Cakewalk sonar pro or Audacity while running GPro 5.2, the whole sytem freaks out.
Version 5.0 ran perfectly.
I can't find a support forum for GPro, only a FAQ page. Has anyone had similar problems with x64 windows and GPro 5.2?

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Guitar Pro 5.2 a bit too much for most PCs?

Post by sopachrga »

Not the same problem exactaly, but I was running 64bit Vista on my Development machine at work, and you need to rememeber that 64bit windows requires 2X as much memory to achieve the same results. I would have to say 2GB is not enough for 64bit. Go back to 32bit vista, I have, And it seems to have sorted out most problems I had.

Basically it comes down to the fact that on a 64bit OS pointers will take twice as much memory as a 32bit pointer.
Unless you have 4GB of RAM or more I would stay with 32bit.
Ummm....

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Post by IkeKrull »

Thats not entirely true (about 64 bit machines needing twice the RAM to do the same job), but its mostly valid.

There are 3 key points about 64 bit machines:

1. 64 bit machines indeed consume twice the space for storing memory addresses (as each address is now 64 bits instead of 32), the big benefit here being 'flat' or unpaged access to large amounts of memory. Not needing to page data in and out is a big benefit in some applications.

2. 64 bit CPUs also offer many more CPU registers - this lets applications that are programmed to use them run a lot faster as they can effectively 'cache' data right on the CPU. Big speedups are possible for some operations.

3. Hardware drivers need to be recompiled, and often partially rewritten to run on a 64 bit platform - as 64 bit desktop users are in the minority, these drivers may not get the attention they deserve from the hardware manufacturers.

If youre running applications compiled for 32-bit Windows, the first issue works against you, the second has no benefit at all, and the third might bite you hard.

Unless your application is dealing with very large datasets, and needs to perform complex calculations that require essentially 'random access' to that dataset e.g. (3D visualisation, mathematical modelling, database servers), the benefits of a 64 bit platform over a 32 bit one are not always clear.

For current sound applications, I can see no reason to use a 64 bit OS - some soft-synths or processing plugins might conceivably be accelerated with the availability of 64 bit registers, but in general, sound applications have very conservative memory requirements compared to some other stuff you might do like HD video encoding or running a realtime 3D engine (e.g. games).

If you want the lowest system overhead and the most mature drivers, i would dump Vista of any flavour and use 32 bit XP. (Actually i'd dump Windows of any flavour and use a Mac, but thats not being helpful - bad ike. <smack>)

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 385 times

Post by dayl »

Aquila Rosso wrote:The only thing that helps run GPro smoothly is running all my sound options at 16bit 44khz. Bummer.
Haha there is nothing wrong with that whatsoever bro especially when listening to GP. :D

That PC should run it sweet as. It sounds like Vista is being a pain. These guys have already covered the options.
I would move to XP as Vista is a Proccesing and Ram whore.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I might set up a dual boot with my old win2k disc, that was rock solid after service pack three.
I'm not sure if it will run my CPU though. I have to research it.
I think most 64bit audoi drivers for vista are crap. sound works very differently with vista.
I wish I'd learnt linux, but can't be stuffed.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

Aquila Rosso wrote:I recently upgraded to GPro 5.2 along with the latest RSE packs and ran into problems straight away.
It seems to start overloading my CPU really easily, the sound starts breaking up and stuttering at as little as 60% cpu load.
My pc is getting a bit old, P4 3.73 extreme, 2gb ram, 2x Sata2 hard discs and the Audigy 4pro with outboard IO box.
It should handle it, but won't.
I use Vista ultimate x64, which has been a real hassle for sound drivers, I have the lastest sound driver and asio updates.
The only thing that helps run GPro smoothly is running all my sound options at 16bit 44khz. Bummer.
If I try to run Cakewalk sonar pro or Audacity while running GPro 5.2, the whole sytem freaks out.
Version 5.0 ran perfectly.
I can't find a support forum for GPro, only a FAQ page. Has anyone had similar problems with x64 windows and GPro 5.2?
Sounds more like a Creative driver problem than an issue to do with your computer running out of memory/CPU.
I'm running Windows Vista 64 with 2GB of ram/2.66ghz Core 2 Duo/onboard Realtek HD audio and Guitar Pro 5.2 with RSE uses between 4-12% CPU (with absolutely no issues I might add)

Creative's older sound cards (yours) have well documented issues with Windows Vista x64. My advice would be to upgrade your sound card to a new creative card, or get a motherboard with a good onboard chip.

Oh and 2GB of ram is plenty for most x64 users.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

works fine on my pc's. One a AMD 64 3800+ on winxp and laptop core duo T7600 on winxp. both with 2GB ram.

niether are 64bit.
AFK.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I've got the realtec HDaudio onboard, but disabled in the bios.

There is a new driver for my Audigy 4 pro coming soon, hopefully that fixes it.
I like the Audigy 4, because for a consumer card it has top notch specs and the outboard IO unit is really handy.

I think the only way to go would be to buy a dedicated audio recording sound card and break out box, M-audio maybe.
I will have to wait, because I've still got this Plexi gas thing going on.

What Io and latency setting are you guys using in Gpro?

danrawkz
PRS
PRS

Post by danrawkz »

I usually use 16bit, but I changed it to 24 bit for testing.

Can't see many reasons you'd bother to use 24bit on RSE anyway, especially if 24bit had major issues
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Last edited by danrawkz on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_haunted
Ashton
Ashton

Post by the_haunted »

I've never had any problems, stable as...
Vista32 with realtek HD sound-card & Coreduo 1.6G, 2Gig ram

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Vista is rubbish, go back to XP, I'm running GP 5.2 on a P4M 1.6 with 768Mb of ram on XP and it runs beautifully.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

jeremyb wrote:Vista is rubbish, go back to XP, I'm running GP 5.2 on a P4M 1.6 with 768Mb of ram on XP and it runs beautifully.
ALOT EASIER SAID THAN DONE. MY XP DISC IS 64BIT AS WELL. MIGRATING BACK TO XP IS A MISSION WHEN YOUR PC IS A CHOKA FULL OF STUFF AS MINE. WOULD TAKE A DAY OR TWO.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

danrawkz wrote:I usually use 16bit, but I changed it to 24 bit for testing.

Can't see many reasons you'd bother to use 24bit on RSE anyway, especially if 24bit had major issues
I see you have only one midi output and use direct sound.
I use 4 midi output and asio.
I'll have a tinker.
Thanks

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by shinenz »

Yep vista is crap indeed. I have lastest GP5 and it runs mint on my desktop, running windows XP. I'm not guna even bother putting it on my dual core laptop with Vista.

Desktop is a mild running 2.8ghz, 1gig of ram . GP5 runs mint

I wouldn't be at all surprised if I put it on my laptop and ran into immediate probs, vista reminds me of those old Vaxual cars, always got problems.
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

danrawkz
PRS
PRS

Post by danrawkz »

Aquila Rosso wrote:
danrawkz wrote:I usually use 16bit, but I changed it to 24 bit for testing.

I see you have only one midi output and use direct sound.
I use 4 midi output and asio.
I'll have a tinker.
Thanks
The question is: Why? I thought Guitar Pro was a program you used to learn/write tab :P