Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Re: P.L.U.T.O.

Post by foal30 »

rocklander wrote:
Gelato wrote:
borge wrote:Off to Napier now, playing with Mountaineater and left or right tonight :)
Might see you there, if band practice doesn't drag on...
insert marc hunter joke...

we need Haylar tabs
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

foal30 wrote: yeah wiki, no I don't want to know thanks :D . I can understand the language but I don't actually know or have formed an opinion. For instance, in the good old days the key was invariably the first chord or starting note of the tune :lol:
Well IME that's about as successful as ignoring the tonal centre and naming it from the key sig. :P

If Sammy D is reading any of this look at how different listeners have a different concept of naming the shit. In particular DS, we have the same three chords, but calling it either G maj or E minor
If you know your diatonic harmony you know either key covers both sets of scales/chords
Yes they share the same key sig,but the tonal centre determines which is the key.
Em is held twice as long as any other chord, along with the Bm - Em ( v i ) cadence, its firmly in Em to me.

Rog
yeah it is easy because it is the same notes but from a different starting point
I don't think it's confusing at all and think it is exactly the same as Borge indicating "play C minor pentatonic"
all you do is think of starting points relative to that chord
it's harmonic generalization really
I don't think quoting 5 modes for a 10 second functional, (not modal) diatonic (bar a single chord tone) progression is anything but confusing :?
I can't think (or play) fast enough to deal with all these chords but I know they all come from Ab major.
so if I stay within Ab major regardless of what the actual chord being played is, I at least are playing 'in'.
Key sig is Eb maj/Cm :wink:
whilst this obviously will not do for a career in being interesting :D it is IMO a very good way to get basic theory and basic improvisation tied in and under way.
I wouldn't equate chromatics to interesting, I think any 'outside' playing would only detract from this song :D

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I think the issue is with this tonal center
is the formula for deciding it is what I feel like or what I might hear it as.
just because a tune may stay on that chord for longer probably is not a fool proof way of deciphering the key.

which isn't really a teachable theory in an empirical sense.

(that's no detraction from anything you raise BTW).
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish