Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

A New Instrumental!

Post by Basket Case »

http://rapidshare.com/files/178004394/Mix2.mp3

Recorded using Logic Express. All the guitar tracks were recorded using Logic's amp simulation plugins. Hopefully I'll be able to successfully re-amp the tracks with a real amp one day. For now, I'm sick of this tune so probably won't do any more work on it for a while- if ever.

Let me know what you think. There are some sloppy bits here and there that I can't be arsed fixing.
Last edited by Basket Case on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: A New Instrumental!

Post by Basket Case »

Geez, no love at all! Does it suck that badly? :lol:

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Sounds a bit Chris Poland/Marty Friedman. I like it, is Logic a pig? I've heard its a steep learning curve...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

Very cool track, nice mixing 8)
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Vorbis wrote:Sounds a bit Chris Poland/Marty Friedman. I like it, is Logic a pig? I've heard its a steep learning curve...
Yeah the arpeggio thing at the beginning (and pasted crudely at the end) is similar to Marty Friedman's 'Holy Wars' solo.

Logic is really awesome. It's pretty easy to get up and running with it, but it's a huge program. It's up to the individual with regards to how deep you want to go with it. There are some great tutorials on youtube that have helped me out a lot.

You must come over for a beer before you go back to work!
Last edited by Basket Case on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

shinenz wrote:Very cool track, nice mixing 8)
Thanks! I had to re-eq it several times and probably still didn't get it right. I haven't got used to the lack of bottom end in my monitors, so the first attempts had way too much bass.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

very cool, nice work 8)
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Dude, reeeeally nice work.

The backing gat has been sunk a lil too much and is too wide. Crunch it up and add a few mids and maybe notch out some of the mud area. This will add a pinch more movement to the track.

Bring the drums up too mate, jus needs to tighten up a lil.

Not saying I'm a pro at this as I have trouble with these areas myself.

Love the turn around lick at 1:10 cant remember where I have heard it before....prob because I wouldn't bother attempting it in case my fingers snapped off :lol:

The goodness.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Br00talz. I wouldn't have known it from a real amp.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

dayl wrote:The backing gat has been sunk a lil too much and is too wide. Crunch it up and add a few mids and maybe notch out some of the mud area. This will add a pinch more movement to the track.
Yeah I hear what you're saying. There are actually two rhythm guitars panned left and right all the way through. I originally had more mids on them but I needed to scoop them a little to give the lead gat more space to poke through. More mids on the lead gat didn't sound too flash.
dayl wrote:Bring the drums up too mate, jus needs to tighten up a lil.
Yeah I think the drums could be louder too. I had trouble trying to get the snare louder. It's that high-tuned metal sound and it sounds really thin turned up any louder. I've EQd and compressed the hell out of it but it's still hard to get it to sit right (I'm still a noob when it comes to eqing and compressing).
dayl wrote:Not saying I'm a pro at this as I have trouble with these areas myself.
It's an art in itself for sure. I'm only really just starting to learn about mixing and mastering. There's a reason why people who are good at it are so highly sought after.
dayl wrote:Love the turn around lick at 1:10 cant remember where I have heard it before....prob because I wouldn't bother attempting it in case my fingers snapped off :lol:
Geez, I hope it's not a Satch lick. I can't afford a lawyer! :wink:

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Some Bozo wrote:Br00talz. I wouldn't have known it from a real amp.
Thanks! I'm pretty amazed by how good software is getting these days. Makes the process much more bearable for those around you.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Yeah, It can get problematic for sure.

Here is a good guide for the EQ part. Scroll down for my post, its a good guide. I have the pdf somewhere, but am having trouble locating it.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 85#2444985

Page 10. Don't read into the rest of the post too much, not a lot of good advice there, just experimental stuff :)

compression is more effective once all the mud and un-needed frequencies are removed via eq, otherwise, with all these frequencies left in, compression tends to pitch the frequencies you want with those you don't want and it can end up a lil messy.

Even without compression, by removing the frequencies you don't need it gives all the individual parts room to breathe.
i.e. the guitar doesn't really need the frequencies under 300hz or so (depends on the guitar recording style etc), the bass needs this more though, so cutting this gives the bass more room to move and this works throught the track.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Basket Case wrote:
It's an art in itself for sure. I'm only really just starting to learn about mixing and mastering. There's a reason why people who are good at it are so highly sought after.
Ain't that the truth. I watched "The Tattooist" last night and while it was a decent enough movie, the sound was arse and the sound on some of the music was, shall we say... distinctly local. I always wondered why people send tracks offshore for a simple mastering, but it does seem to involve some sort of magic we don't 'get' here.

Back to topic... can't listen to your track here, stupid firewall... will do later.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

I managed to fatten up the snare (it sounds much better) and crank up all the drums. I've replaced the original file with the new mix.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

It sounds great man, awesome playing. No my style of music, but I would have probably put a poster of you on my wall when I was 15 based on that playing. The amp simulations sound really authentic. Nice job.