Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: My quest to play like Randy Rhoads

Post by Bg »

Aquila Rosso wrote:
slash-ed wrote:My recording gear will be down this Sunday, so I'll probably have a go some weeknight. :)
Cool, I'm very keen to hear it.

Here is my latest attempt using the marshall and the palmer. Tone is a bit fat (eq pedal will fix that) and there is still a couple of timing mistakes etc mainly at the end ,but it is getting way better.
http://www.box.net/shared/dp897t5dpr

I still don't play as well if I'm recording, maybe do several attempts while recording and take the best one next time.
yep timing is still out but getting better :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

szukalski
Stagg
Stagg

Post by szukalski »

Coming along nicely mate, like you said before.. it's all in the practice.

Speaking of which, if I pull finger I may get my recording setup out and produce a submission. I was supposed to do it days ago but unfortunately I'm a working man who doesn't get to practice like a shredder should. Still, we'll see what I can do.. :)
Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar
95 Ibanez RG30 US Custom - 77 Ibanez 59er Deluxe - 97 PRS McCarty
Carvin Legacy - Jansen 620

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

szukalski wrote:Coming along nicely mate, like you said before.. it's all in the practice.

Speaking of which, if I pull finger I may get my recording setup out and produce a submission. I was supposed to do it days ago but unfortunately I'm a working man who doesn't get to practice like a shredder should. Still, we'll see what I can do.. :)
Yeah it sucks when you can't get the time to practice and it's is so important if you want to raise the standard of your playing.
If I don't get to practice for a few days my technique takes a nosedive and then it is hard work to get back to my best and beyond.
Zakk Wilde practices for hours before every gig. It's funny watching him getting all negative about his playing and looking to his crew for reassurance that he is playing well enough to do the gig. Big tough hillybilly Zakk ah?

I'll be working on the Diary of a Madman Solo and preceeding riff to improve my take on it over the rest of this week, although I seem to be more focused on Iron Maiden today for some reason......Yeah!!!!

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Someone should do Quiet Riot's "Cum on feel the noize" which is the best solo Randy never played
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Some Bozo wrote:Someone should do Quiet Riot's "Cum on feel the noize" which is the best solo Randy never played
Yep, that's a cool solo, I remember trying to learn it years ago and my whole sloppy pentatonic legato style I've had since is based on my misinterpretation of that solo all those years ago. :lol:

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Your tone sounds good. I would like the mix to be more backing track and less your guitar for a better balance, but your MMV. IMHO etc :)
Greenstone Amplifiers

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote:Your tone sounds good. I would like the mix to be more backing track and less your guitar for a better balance, but your MMV. IMHO etc :)
MMV?

I recorded the monitors guitar signal, I am start to sus cakewalk now so I maybe able to record a discreet guitar track and mix it properly soon.
At the moment it's just "what you hear" recorded in Audacity.

I'm loving the sound of the DSL 100 cranking through the palmer.
It need it's own power though, my pc restarts several times over if the DSL is running. A good sign there is not enough amps to go around.
If I sort that it may sound nicer.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

BG wrote:
Aquila Rosso wrote:
slash-ed wrote:My recording gear will be down this Sunday, so I'll probably have a go some weeknight. :)
Cool, I'm very keen to hear it.

Here is my latest attempt using the marshall and the palmer. Tone is a bit fat (eq pedal will fix that) and there is still a couple of timing mistakes etc mainly at the end ,but it is getting way better.
http://www.box.net/shared/dp897t5dpr

I still don't play as well if I'm recording, maybe do several attempts while recording and take the best one next time.
yep timing is still out but getting better :)
+1, the timing is heaps better than the first one. And there is no such thing as tone that's too fat :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I amazed that I can plug a 180 watts of Marshall cranked to 10 into a computer. Says alot for the robust new windows Vista.

Nah Vista sux. Gpro 5.2 has shit itself on me again. Maxing out CPU when using RSE and the midi playback is kaput too. Maxes out the CPU and crashes. Bloody annoying, it's my main practice tool.
I scoured the net for info and it seems it is a common problem with the 5.2 version'd RSE engine. No fix yet.

Jamming to records and backing tracks instead.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

I finally got some time and motivation to do mine! I went for Goodbye to Romance, and for some true RR-styleness I double tracked the solo.

I'll let you lot be the judge of how convincing it is. I'm pretty sure half the faster phrases are wrong anyway, but I think I've captured most of the feel of the original solo.

:D

Where is everyone elses?!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by slash-ed on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Wow, that's a really small file :S

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

slash-ed wrote:I finally got some time and motivation to do mine! I went for Goodbye to Romance, and for some true RR-styleness I double tracked the solo.

I'll let you lot be the judge of how convincing it is. I'm pretty sure half the faster phrases are wrong anyway, but I think I've captured most of the feel of the original solo.

:D

Where is everyone elses?!?
That turned out really well, nice to hear somebody elses playing.
Don't worry about the mistakes, It sounded really good to me.
I really like the smoothness of the open 2 bars, little bit of rake and smooth legato, I don't do that bit so well.

I'm still working on the crowley solo's, but I'm not sure what I'll put up next.
I'd better get on with it.
I have been doing alot of picking technique with a metronome lately. Works well, but I always slip back into a lazy out of time fast legato style if I don't do the metronome work.

What do you think of that 2204 ceriatone just listed here ? I wish it was a 100 watter. A PTP 2204 is not really a true "clone" because they were PCB, I wonder if it sounds better than a 50watt 2204 reissue?

Iron Maiden is tomorrow!!
Yeah!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

So far Slash-ed does the best RR solo of any NZG member I've heard yet, his Goodbye To Romance version is excellent.

I put my Mr Crowley Solo up on YouTube, you can all see how handsome I am :roll:

Some American Kid gave me 5 stars, I like americans now, good kid. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19guJINYKa0

EDIT: the bastards just deleted/banned it, maybe for copyright reason or they thought I was too handsome for YouTube?
The Bastards!

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Link works for me, had no problem viewing it. Sounding good!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Link works for me, had no problem viewing it. Sounding good!
Thanks
It went down for over an hour, I spat the dummy thinking "The Man" had canned it.

FIGHT AGAINST THE MAN