Finally a new original **UPDATED**

Lets hear your sound clips...

Moderator: Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Finally a new original

Post by Tsuken »

tonymcbony wrote:If I could make a suggestion; change the effects you've got on the gat.
Being the musician I am, as soon as I hear delayed gainy guitar, I switch off. A lot of what people will rag on is the fact its a tired old sound that lots of crap guitarists use to cover up their rubbish playing. You're not a crap guitarist, so stripping back the layers of effects will not harm the sound.

Take off the delay, lower the gain, and I think you'll have something quite cool.
heh - the gain's back to only about 1 o'clock already. The delay was more an attempt to smooth the sound a bit than anything else (and I love delay. I hear what you're saying though; at first I went very dry. I'll keep messing with it.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Frey wrote:
tonymcbony wrote:as soon as I hear delayed gainy guitar, I switch off.
+1. I hate that sound. It's just really... trashy or something.
But I am trashy ;)

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Tsuken wrote:
Frey wrote:
tonymcbony wrote:as soon as I hear delayed gainy guitar, I switch off.
+1. I hate that sound. It's just really... trashy or something.
But I am trashy ;)
A bit.. na not trashy just a bit tasteless
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

New version here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaF81fxs2Zo[/youtube]

Anyone keen to hear a clean/dry/acoustic/slow version played by a different person ought to know by now not to bother ;) Those who gave more useful feedback might be interested in the final outcome

That said, I'm a lot happier with this version - arrangement and playing. The lead was mostly one take with just a couple bits punched in and fixed up. I swapped out the California Sound and used the Fatal Tube instead. It's much better because it has drive *and* gain knobs :P

The only "problem" is that now I've played the song many many times. Every time I play a solo, there's a touch less improvisation that happens - as I think "that bit was cool" and tend to repeat it, and so on and so on. There's now no improvisation in this song at all - about which I'm kind of ambivalent ;)

Here be bloggins

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Re: Finally a new original **UPDATED**

Post by TmcB »

Haha, as much as I've already stated I'm not a huge fan of super gain + delay, I think that on this take, the effects sat back a bit more and gave the sustain and space you're after without it overpowering.

I really liked your feel on this one.
Has a bit less "I AM KICKING YOUR ASS WITH SHREDDING" and more restraint.
I'm trying to figure out the way to put it, it's more laidback. Maybe the tone is sweeter.

Thumbs up, I've really enjoyed listening to this one, and I'm not a fan of shred, but something about it keeps reminding me of the guitar work on early Alan Parsons Project records (which I just ADORE!).
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

I didn't change the delay at all, but the change to the Fatal Tube from the California Sound made a big difference.

Another thing is that instead of having each individual track loud (+dB) and then when adding more and more tracks having to lower and lower the master, i left the track volumes down - and didn't have to have the master quite so low. I suspect that might have contributed to an overall less wearing sound.

Here be bloggins

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

I like it, as it is you wrote a good tune, like there is a story to it now, you establish the song melody and build up to the solo where you get to let it out before finishing the story off.

Kick ass!

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Thanks Rob. Your suggestion re: a breakdown was really helpful, and the song as a whole got more dynamics - plus it led to the solo having more dynamic sense as well

Here be bloggins

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Yea it cool like writing a novel or something, create the drama then through the twist in then sew it all up.

Or something like that.... I really need sleep :lol:

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Very cool ... the only thing that stuck out to me was the quick harmony bit at 1:05 and 2:11min. I felt it was too loud and in contrast to where you were in the piece. Perhaps quieter?

I like the quiet bit in there around 3mins although I 'felt' there was a high note missing from the notes you played ... sort of like an anxious high note anticipating the solo that was coming. Artificial Harmonic with a volume swell? I keep thinking that I'd arrange the quiet bit a little differently but I think it would end up being pretty much the same feel just slightly different phrasing.

On the first listen to this version, I felt the guitar parts at the end were too high in the mix and made it like a wall of noise ... but on the second listen to it's fine ... possibly my ear more accustomed to the tune.

Is that programmed bass? Would love to hear it with a real bass player - not me I'd add too many notes in to it, and they probably wouldn't all be good.

I'd pay money to hear an album of this sort of playing.

Very cool stuff.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

NZRS-Dave wrote:Very cool ... the only thing that stuck out to me was the quick harmony bit at 1:05 and 2:11min. I felt it was too loud and in contrast to where you were in the piece. Perhaps quieter?

I like the quiet bit in there around 3mins although I 'felt' there was a high note missing from the notes you played ... sort of like an anxious high note anticipating the solo that was coming. Artificial Harmonic with a volume swell? I keep thinking that I'd arrange the quiet bit a little differently but I think it would end up being pretty much the same feel just slightly different phrasing.

On the first listen to this version, I felt the guitar parts at the end were too high in the mix and made it like a wall of noise ... but on the second listen to it's fine ... possibly my ear more accustomed to the tune.

Is that programmed bass? Would love to hear it with a real bass player - not me I'd add too many notes in to it, and they probably wouldn't all be good.

I'd pay money to hear an album of this sort of playing.

Very cool stuff.
I could play with the levels of those harmonies. I'll have another listen (but I kind of like the obvious harmonies there ... we'll see)

Whereabouts were you "hearing" the missing high note? Just before the solo or earlier?

Bass was played with my iMac keyboard, then quantised. One of these days I'll get a bass guitar - so the bass parts can suck as much as the guitar :P

And thanks mate - glad you like it 8)

Here be bloggins

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Tsuken wrote: Whereabouts were you "hearing" the missing high note? Just before the solo or earlier?
Yeah, bang on about 3:19sec - On fourth listen (with my guitar on to find out what the note was) it turns out that I can't find the note I can hear in my head ... I think it's the one you play ... but up an octave and I was hearing a double stop bend. That thing where you bend up two frets on the B string (say D to E) and then use the little finger on the E string (whcih would be G)

But I realised after I posted it that it's totally personal taste.

EDIT - I know what it is ... throughout the whole quiet bit, or in just the last phrase ... I am hearing a note that's in the background getting louder and eventually meeting up with the last note before the solo.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.