matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Time Machine: Matman meets his 19 year old musical self

Post by matman »

This thread is due to convergence of a few things happening all at the same time:
1. I found a firmware update for my boss micro br that allowed me to use a bigger SD card than the midget 128mb one it came with so I can actually record with it instead of just using it as a mp3 playalong thingy.
2. I found an old cassette copy a a demo I did when I was 19 of the first song I ever wrote.
3. Realised that the boss had a line in and I had a link cable as well as the fact that my mum still had my old cassette player...ergo...for your amusement and mocking pleasure...

It was written after a friend's baby was stillborn and he and his partner were understandably devastated. This also got me thinking about a miscarriage my mum had when I was about 6 and the song came from there. I had been playing for a bit less than a year and was getting lessons from Paul Martin. I was announcing at Contact 89 FM (old Waikato Uni radio station) and made use of the cheap rates we got for the recording studio to demo this and a couple of other songs. Paul played bass and the 2nd solo and my friend Anthony Hills provided vocs and played keyboards.

Tonight was the first time I've heard this in almost 20 years! Some thoughts:
1. I don't play much better now than I did then! :oops:
2 That boy was in serious need of some vibrato and could not keep time to save himself (also not much different to now)
3. It doesn't completely suck!
4. Some very cringe worthy lyrics there.
5. Still really like Paul's bassline and solo and get a kick out of the fact that the latter was recorded on a 10W solid state samick practice amp with only a little bit of effects help from the board. Cool guitar noises at the end
6. Anthony has some nice vocal touches on there - mostly one take due to limited funds/studio time.
8. My palm sized boss micro recorder is more powerful than the whole studio we had back then!
7. The kid noises that we stole...um...I mean...sampled from the Mission's 'Children' album worked really well.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Time Machine: Matman meets his 19 year old musical self

Post by slash-ed »

Wonderful story - I'll have a listen after lunch :)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Good stuff. :)

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by matman »

I like it because it's 'me' frozen at a moment in time in my musical development - kind of like looking at pictures from when you were at school.

..It also serves as a great reminder about why I no longer write lyrics or vocal melodies. :oops:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

It's not so bad... My 18/19 year old self was much worse, and much more ignorant of that fact.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I still have demo tapes from the mid 90's to early 2000's - basically high school bands and stuff from my uni days. I find them terribly nostalgic and a testament to how far I've come as player.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by matman »

The Scarecrow wrote:I still have demo tapes from the mid 90's to early 2000's - basically high school bands and stuff from my uni days. I find them terribly nostalgic and a testament to how far I've come as player.
Yeah this (except its probably more progress as a writer for me since my playing still sucks)...It's been like finding my old school yearbook in a dusty old box and laughing at my old mullet and ill fitting uniform...(and then sharing the laughter with all of yous fullas :wink: )

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

that's very cool mat ...... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who could never find a drummer :lol:

maybe we should work on a song at the metalfest???.....do a nzgmetal track :thumbup:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I wish I could find the demo tape I sent zakk wylde when he was first putting black label together.....I think it was pretty shit from memory :lol: :lol:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by matman »

willow13 wrote:that's very cool mat ...... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who could never find a drummer :lol:
Yeah, didn't know any drummers, the studio was really small anyway and I didn't have the money to pay for the extra time it would have taken to set up and record them. We could have sampled them but I knew stuff all about beats back then and couldn't play along with a click track anyway so it would have just made my terrible timing stand out even more.

...actually there is an unmixed copy of another song we recorded at the same time floating around the house somewhere (big epic rock ballad) that does have sampled drums on it...The song is bad. Really bad. The drums are worse. It kind of sucks because Paul played some really cool stuff on that track and my solo was ok for where my playing was then, but the lyrics and vocal melody were terrible... and the drums (shudder)!
willow13 wrote:maybe we should work on a song at the metalfest???.....do a nzgmetal track :thumbup:
Could be fun!